none
SharePoint 2010 List Data Grid view and People Lookup fields RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In SP2010, if I go into data grid view of a list and try to copy paste data into grid view it does not allow me to copy paste data into "user/people" type field.

Which is bizzare because this was possible in 2007 and I am pasting the right data.

This is really killing productivity because we cannot copy paste data.

val it: unit=()

Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:39 AM

All replies

• You should be able to copy and paste data into a user/people field from the datasheet view. This column is basically a lookup column so the values are stored as 'UserName;#UserID' like 'John Smith;#12'. If you are copying a single user into the column, you can paste their 'UserName' into the field and it will work.

If you are trying to copy multiple people into the column, you will need to create a string with 'UserName' and 'UserID' and separate users by this ';#' delimiter. See below...

John Smith;#12;#Ben Smith;#11;#Steve Smith;#30;#Robert Smith;#9

Since you already have the column of users you would like to add, I would get their IDs and write a simple excel macro to create the string for you. Then, copy and paste that output into your list's datasheet view.

• Edited by Tim Newbill Saturday, October 20, 2012 2:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Monday, October 22, 2012 7:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MSDN Student Monday, October 22, 2012 8:41 PM
    Saturday, October 20, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Monday, October 22, 2012 7:43 AM
  • I did some testing and found out in which places the copy paste did not work.

So the copy paste works successfully if the user whose details are being copy pasted "exists" in the site. 

But if you copy paste a user who is not a member of the site (does not belong to any group and is not directly entitleed)

You cannot copy paste their data.

To me this is irrational.... because let us say the HR wants to create a list of employees... but only HR employees are members of the site.

Can anyone confirm/deny my findings. I was able to copy paste details of users... but not of people who are not users of the site.

val it: unit=()

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:43 PM