none
outlook 2010 messages stuck in outbox, on exchange 2007 server

Question

• hi

i have noticed that once in a while messages are stuck in outlook 2007 mailboxes, since i have upgrade to office 2010 the problem seems to happen much more frequent.

messages are stuck in the outbox, when i open OWA and click on send the message the message seems to go out. also on the outlook 2010 client if i drag the message into the drafts folder and then send it again it usually goes. in the past the issue was mainly related to the email properties being MAILTO and not SMTP but this issue seems to have become much worse since i upgrade from office 2007 to 2010

am running all the latest patches on the office suite, exchange 2007 is currently sp2 RU4.

i am wondering whether this is a client side issue or a server issue.

is there any logs i can check on the server side or anything else i can do. as said it is a small number of messages but getting irritating and it is starting to take up a lot of my time

many thanks

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

Please follow these Methods get the message out of the Outbox

Method A

Open the message from the Outbox and close it again. Now select the message and press DELETE

Method B

Put Outlook in offline mode. To do this go to Send/receive Ribbon-> Work Offline. Now restart Outlook and see if you can delete it. Don’t forget to put Outlook back On-line again.

Method C

1. Create a new pst-file; go to Home -> New group -> New Items, ->More Items -> Outlook Data File
    2. Set this pst-file as your default delivery location in your Account settings; File -> Info -> Account Settings ->  E-mail -> Change Folder
    3. When you now restart Outlook your original pst-file will show up as the secondary set of folders where should easily be able to remove the file from or even the complete Outbox folder
    4. Set the original pst-file as the default delivery location again and restart Outlook; the Outbox folder will be recreated and will be empty.

For Exchange server, In order to get the answer effectively, it is recommended to post a new thread in Microsoft Exchange Server Forum for further discussion.

Following articles might be helpful.

“How to configure directory size settings for message tracking logs and for audit logs in Exchange Server 2007”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931737

“Message Tracking tips in Exchange 2007 / Exchange 2010 using CMD lets”

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pepeedu/archive/2010/09/02/message-tracking-cmd-lets-in-exchange-2007-exchange-2010.aspx

“Using Pipeline Tracing to Diagnose Transport Agent Problems”

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125198(EXCHG.80).aspx

Best regards

William Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 6:22 AM