Sequencing the Application with Add-Ins RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm sequencing a application with Office Add-Ins. For this I need to create a dummy shortcuts for locally installed Excel.exe/Winword.exe.

I want to know if there any microsoft defined standards for creating these dummy shortcuts?

Regards

Shivaprasad

Thanks & Regards Shivaprasad
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

MS does not provide any detailed naming convention for the shortcuts that are created (or: configured during Application Configuration step of the Sequencer).

Some things to note:
    - the combination of Name and Version for each application has to be unique: You may not have to App-V applications "Word" + "2007"
    - Version string (actually it is not limited to a number) can have 16 characters and is visible for users in the launch bar only
    - Name is used to create the shortcut. You may not want to have two items called "Word" on the same target location (i.e. a User's Desktop or the same location inisde the start menu), because one link would overwrite the other
    - you should avoid non-english characters
    - you should not modify name or version number
    -- inside the OSD after you have imported the app into the Server MMC
    -- in the App-V Management console after you have imported the app into the Server MMC

There used to be recommendation to shorten and normalize the OSD file name as well. This was caused by issues that older clients sometimes had when downloading OSD files that contained sevral dots (.) and spaces. This is not necessary any more. However, also in OSD file names you should limit yourself to common english characters, digits, spaces, "-" and "_"

It might be the case that SCCM publishing is a little bit more relaxed (refering to Name + Version uniqueness) but I won't bet on it.

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:40 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Basically you are applying their best practice for internet explorer plugins, see this link for more information;
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931986

/Znack
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Hi Znack,

Thanks for the information.

The link provided is having details about creating shorctuts, but not the standards shortcut naming. So i'm looking for the naming convention standards.

Thanks & Regards Shivaprasad
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:42 AM
  • Hi,

MS does not provide any detailed naming convention for the shortcuts that are created (or: configured during Application Configuration step of the Sequencer).

Some things to note:
    - the combination of Name and Version for each application has to be unique: You may not have to App-V applications "Word" + "2007"
    - Version string (actually it is not limited to a number) can have 16 characters and is visible for users in the launch bar only
    - Name is used to create the shortcut. You may not want to have two items called "Word" on the same target location (i.e. a User's Desktop or the same location inisde the start menu), because one link would overwrite the other
    - you should avoid non-english characters
    - you should not modify name or version number
    -- inside the OSD after you have imported the app into the Server MMC
    -- in the App-V Management console after you have imported the app into the Server MMC

There used to be recommendation to shorten and normalize the OSD file name as well. This was caused by issues that older clients sometimes had when downloading OSD files that contained sevral dots (.) and spaces. This is not necessary any more. However, also in OSD file names you should limit yourself to common english characters, digits, spaces, "-" and "_"

It might be the case that SCCM publishing is a little bit more relaxed (refering to Name + Version uniqueness) but I won't bet on it.

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:40 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:05 PM
  • Hi,

Why should you not modify name or version number after you have imported the application?
    Friday, December 11, 2009 1:48 PM
  • If you modify Name or Version after you imported the app into the server MMC, there is a potential conflict between the "application list" that gets published to the client (so called APPLIST.XML) and the information that it stored in the OSD files.
    Actually it might be that current App-V client versions are able to deal with that conflict, but at least older (SoftGrid) clients regulary failed to register applications with such an Meta Info mismatch.
    Even though newer clients technically may be able to deal with that, you should adjust Name and Version during Sequencing only to keep consitency. If you modify the value during Sequencing, they are consitent between OSD and Management Console, and the consintency remains if you upgrade the package later on or publish it on another server. If you'd modifiy it in the MMC on one system, you may forget to modify it on another system - and Admins may get confused what the actual version number is...

Falko
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Okey, thanks for the information.
    We are not modifying application-version-nr, just application name and in what folder the application should display in the startmenu. But I see the problem with different versions in the actual application and what the MMC is showing.

So there is no reason for us not to change name and location on the startmenu in the Console? Since its possible I cant understand why it should not be recomended.. but seen more suprising stuff. I feel that distribution of the startmenu is getting slower in our system, and been wondering if there is a connection to that and all the changes we do..
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:09 AM
  • No, besides "display synchronization" there should not be any problems.
    Changes shouldn't slow down the process - but surely creating a large amount of shortcuts does...
    Falko
    Monday, December 14, 2009 10:03 AM