none
Customized EditForm.aspx page for List not displaying description of fields marked Display RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint 2010 custom list and I've created a customized NewItem and EditItem forms in SharePoint Designer.  On the EditItem form I'm changing the ControlMode for some fields from Edit to Display.  When I do that the description fields stop showing.  Is this a bug or expected behavior of the tag:  <SharePoint:FieldDescription runat="server" id="ff2description{$Pos}" FieldName="Requestor" ControlMode="Display"/>

I've tried changing the description tag to Edit, Display, New and it does nothing.

Friday, July 20, 2012 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

As you can see in default display form, there will no FieldDescription control, so it is design to only available to use in New and Edit form. And if you set the ControlMode to “Display”, the FieldDescription will not display. If you need it, please make the ControlMode property to either "New" or "Edit", it will always display in nonedible mode.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:57 AM
  • What about "Person or Group" column types?  I changed all my description fields to be "Edit" and they all now show the description except for the "Person or Group" columns that I have set to "Display" (that's the Field itself set to Display but the description tag set to Edit).
    Monday, July 23, 2012 3:08 PM