Unable to create new Windows 10 account using work email address. RRS feed

• Question

• This error is by design. It is a change outlined here.  I need to create a new user account on a work pc.  I don't want to associate it with a personal email address.  This is a organization pc and an organization account.  I just need instruction on how to proceed.  I have been unable to find how our domain has been associated with Azure AD.  Microsoft seems to recognize our administrative email address but as I continue the login process, it tells me that user ID does not exist. 

At this point I'm dead in the water.  I'm unable to create a new user account and I'm unable to gain access to an Azure AD account/profile that will let me make any changes.  Can anyone point me toward a solution for this problem? 
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:08 PM

Answers

• ...as an addition, it appears the only answer to this issue is to simply go with a local account vs a Microsoft account.  I'm going to proceed that as the solution and live with it.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

• Marked as answer by jkhill74 Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:18 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 3:22 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

I would like to confirm if you have Work account without administrative privilege, but you can not login into Windows with your administrative Microsoft account, right?

What about the local build-in administrator? Please try following steps to enable build-in admin account in WinRE, then login with this account and assign administrative privilege to your Work account. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/be36ae17-e684-4fc8-a253-d12cdf94ecc8/windows-10-upgrade-password-not-accepted?forum=win10itprogeneral

Hope this could be helpful. 

If there is anything misunderstanding, post back to clarify with me. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, October 1, 2016 9:24 AM
  • Hi Kate,

I am signed in using an administrative account with full privileges.   Microsoft has made a change (click on link in my original message) that prevents users from creating new accounts that use work email addresses.  It only allows personal email addresses when creating a new user account. 

The computer I'm setting up belongs to the organization I work for.  It is not a personal pc so it should be set up with a work email address instead of a personal email address.  I'm thinking Microsoft must have an alternative that I am unaware of, something that takes into consideration new Windows 10 user accounts on a business pc but I do not know what that is.  So far I've been unable to find any kind of documentation and my handful of forum posts have gone unanswered. 

I am awaiting a response from the gentleman that wrote the blog post for Microsoft that outlines the change.  Hopefully he will have an answer for me.  If you are aware of a solution, I would appreciate your input. 

Thanks for your response,

John

Monday, October 3, 2016 1:59 PM
  • ...as an addition, it appears the only answer to this issue is to simply go with a local account vs a Microsoft account.  I'm going to proceed that as the solution and live with it.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

• Marked as answer by jkhill74 Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:18 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 3:22 PM
  • Is your computer joined to Azure AD?  Sorry just a bit confused on the issue here.  If it's joined to Azure AD then you should be able to login to the machine using an Azure AD account.  This could be synced from local AD to Azure AD or an Azure AD cloud only account.  You don't need to "add" the account.  As long as your computer can communicate with the internet and you are using valid credentials (user@domain.com) then the logon should be permitted. (This also assumes there are no firewall restrictions preventing communication with Azure)

I could be way off on the issue you are facing so if so, my apologies.

Monday, October 3, 2016 5:27 PM
  • We are not connected to Azure AD.  I'm only somewhat familiar with Azure AD.  I get the impression, as you say, if we were using it, it would let me setup users to access Microsoft resources online, but I don't see any other benefits it would offer to our organization at this time. 

No apologies necessary.  I always appreciate anyone taking the time to inquire and offer suggestions. 
    Monday, October 3, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Hi William,

Although your post is 2 years old, this seems to be the most relevant one to my current issue. Got a brand new machine and want to set it up for a small business on a domain. Machine is on Windows 10 Pro. I managed to create an admin account and then create a work school account which has successfully connected to Azure AD. I can also see from the Azure dashboard that the laptop has been found. But I can't logon to the new machine via the domain associated email address. Would you have any idea of a possible fix?

Thanks,

Emmanuelle

Saturday, November 24, 2018 11:50 AM
  • Is the machine Azure AD Joined (Required Azure AD Premium)?  Sounds like you just added a user account within the OS.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 3:45 PM