none
.SCF files (Windows Explorer Command file) "scripting" documentation

Question

• Does anyone know if there is some documentation on how to create SCF (Windows Explorer commands / SHCMDFILE) files ?

The only thing I found was ready made files for:

1) opening channel band of IE
    2) Explore a folder
    3) minimize all windows

but no explanation on how they are built, as in for example :

[Shell]
    Command= X

X can be 2 or 3 ... what does that means? ... going by deduction I would say the number 2 refers to Windows Explorer itself...3 could be related to an external program          

then there is another section which can be "Taskbar" or "IE"

the taskbar refers to Windows Explorer taskbar :

[Taskbar]
    Command=Y

Y can be a valid command...but it seems only "ToggleDesktop" and "Explorer" works. I have researched explorer.exe and shell32.dll and I saw the "toggledesktop" command as a COM method. I have tried a lot of others but none works. So I would like, if possible, to read a documentation on this particular file type that uses the "INI Scripting structure" and should be pretty simple to understand and reproduce if there was some documentation.

If the only possible commands are the ones I mentioned then this file type is useless because one could easily do it via a VBScript file for example and they are much more powerfull on the tasks they can perform.

thanks in advance.

Friday, January 01, 2010 6:34 AM

Answers

• I have sent an e-mail to Microsoft today asking for tech support on this subject. They may respond me in the next 24hours (as written in the page). If they respond me and provide me some light on the subject I will reply again providing the info + detailed explanation so that everyone can get to know it. If I don´t, then blame Microsoft because I have searched all around the internet and Windows CDs in the hope to find some documentation on this subject, but the only info provided everywhere is how to build known files such as the one that display IE channels, the other starts Windows Explorer (exploring a folder) and the other minimizes all windows; no explanations on what the commands means or anything else like what commands can be passed, their IDs, etc... and in this case unfortunately you will have to close the thread.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by hoeyshane Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:33 PM
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 4:18 PM

All replies

• I also tried hard to find Information on this Topic. I found exactly the above named examples and nothing else.
    If Microsoft does not want Users to use this file type, please let us have a statement
    - maybe : shall be not longer supported ...
    BUT PLEASE Microsoft: the Information is needed!
    Thanks, Werner W
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:52 PM
  • Thank you for your reply Werner. Well, I have tried it before and some days ago I gave it another try but no success at all. It would really suck to do a deep reverse engeneering on Explorer.exe and shell32.dll to find nothing usefull. Do you happen to have old Windows install CDs ? by old I mean Windows 98 / 95 / 3.11. This file type comes from Windows pre-history and is even available on Windows 7. God knows why if you can use a simple VBScript file to open IE, open an Explorer Window and minimize all windows. Also shortcuts can do the same which renders this file type totally useless nowadays, however Microsoft left this file type survive. On the other hand some usefull file types such as .WRI and .HLP are gone since Windows Vista and they used to be widely used. .WRI files are basically rich text files renamed from .RTF to .WRI. Users that have Word installed but wanted some files to open in Wordpad could easily rename them and get them opened in Wordpad. Some files does not display the same way in Wordpad and Word (at lease 2003 / 2007) not to mention Wordpad opens much faster. HLP files used to be a lot used by software authors to provide help and they could have pretty much remain for backwards compatibility purposes mainly. Anyways if you see this message and wants to discuss information on general Windows stuff please leave a reply so I can leave you my e-mail for contact. (I cannot see your e-mail nor send you PMs). cheers.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:20 AM
  • Hi Guys, 

Not sure you are going to get an answer on this thru these forums.  Have you tried asking Microsoft Premier support ?

Hopefully this post will reignite some discussion, otherwise if there's no addition discussion in this thread over the next week  I'll close it off.

thanks

shane

Shane Hoey psugbne.org | Powershell Usergroup Brisbane
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 2:41 AM
  • I have sent an e-mail to Microsoft today asking for tech support on this subject. They may respond me in the next 24hours (as written in the page). If they respond me and provide me some light on the subject I will reply again providing the info + detailed explanation so that everyone can get to know it. If I don´t, then blame Microsoft because I have searched all around the internet and Windows CDs in the hope to find some documentation on this subject, but the only info provided everywhere is how to build known files such as the one that display IE channels, the other starts Windows Explorer (exploring a folder) and the other minimizes all windows; no explanations on what the commands means or anything else like what commands can be passed, their IDs, etc... and in this case unfortunately you will have to close the thread.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by hoeyshane Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:33 PM
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 4:18 PM