none
Outgoing Messages in the Reading Pane Cannot Be Flagged (Outlook 2013 Technet & Preview Versions) RRS feed

• Question

• This is a Bug. Outgoing messages composed in the Reading Pane cannot be Flagged. <o:p></o:p>

The "Message" tab does not contain the Flag feature. To Flag an outgoing
    message you must Pop-out the message.<o:p></o:p>

Even if you customize the "Message" tab and add the Flag function, it still won't
    Flag the draft, it only Flags the original message. There is a disconnect between
    the Ribbon and the Flagging of draft messages (from within the Reading Pane).<o:p></o:p>

Please fix this.  Those of us who Flag outgoing messages will thank you.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have looked into Flag feature with Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010.

It behave the same for both Outlook version.

And I think we cannot flag a email which stays in the Drafts folder.

If we double click to open the email, then Flag icon will show in the Tags group in Message tab.

And if we click to flag the email, there will show a message:

After this message is sent, it will be flagged for you with the following information: XXXX

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Jaynet, Thanks for looking at this.  I hope my concern can be addressed.

You are correct, you cannot flag an email which stays in the Drafts folder.  But that is not what I'm saying. 

What I am saying is, you can't Flag an outgoing message from within the Reading Pane unless it is "Poped Out" of the Preview Pane first, which wastefully adds another step/click. 

Here's two scenarios to help explain what is occurring:

• When not using the Preview Pane, messages can be forwarding, then Flagged before it is sent. 
    • When using the Preview Pane, messages can be forwarded, but cannot be Flagged unless you Pop Out the message first (from within the Preview Pane). 

Please don't force users (like me) to "Pop Out" a message to be forwarded or a replied-to in order to Flag it.  Please realize that users already can Categorize outgoing messages (from within the Preview Pane), but they cannot Flag them. 

I hope the Outlook team looks at this hard.  That ability to Tag outgoing messages from within the Preview Pane is a time saver.  Ensuring all the Tags work from within the Message tab would be great!  If you don't fix this, users will quickly see the disconnect.  Fixing this makes the application even better.  Users will not like having to "Pop Out" messages from the preview pane in order to Flag them.  

Footnote: Currently, the Flagged menu is not on the Message tab.  When adding the Follow Up Flag to the Ribbon, Message tab you can't associate the Flag to the outgoing message in the Preview Pane.

• Edited by TMiq Friday, January 11, 2013 2:13 AM grammer
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:43 PM
  • Let me add to my response by pointing out on a new Flagged message originated from outside of the Preview Pane, a message is displayed under the Ribbon that says, "After this message is sent, it will be flagged for you with the following information: Start by Thursday, January 10, 2013. Due by Thursday, January 10, 2013."

That same functionality is what we'd like to see on messages originated from within the Preview Pane.

• Edited by TMiq Friday, January 11, 2013 2:13 AM unwanted characters
    Friday, January 11, 2013 2:08 AM
  • Hi,

I just want to confirm with you that whether your email account is IMAP account?

If it is, then I think it is by design. Based on my test, I use an IMAP account, and in Sent Items folder, I cannot flag the emails.

And based on my research, IMAP account doesn't support all of the flags. We can only turn on or off Flag for Follow Up for an e-mail message that is received in an IMAP e-mail account.

And in Outlook 2013, the mails in the Sent items folder is not be recognized as a general email item. It doesn't contain the features such as Flag. You can try to move one message from other folder such as inbox to Sent Items, then the message is recognized as a general mail item, it has the feature to turn on and turn off flags.

Jaynet Zhang

Friday, January 11, 2013 7:07 AM
  • Hello,

We don't use IMAP.  We are running Office 13 on Windows 7 (64bit) using Microsoft's Office 365 Exchange service.

Also, I hope I'm being clear.  On Outlook on 2007, 2010 and 2013 I can Flag outgoing messages.  This is an important function for those of us that want to be reminded and aware of certain messages that need follow up. 

That same functionality -- the Tagging of messages -- that is had on a message composed when Poped Out of the Preview Pane is what we'd like to see on messages originated from within the Preview Pane.

• Edited by TMiq Friday, January 11, 2013 5:49 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Jaynet Zhang

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:11 AM
  • Thanks.  I appreciate your efforts in this.

For discussion sake, this issue of Flagging outgoing messages can be summarized by reviewing these these two scenarios

1. When sending an e-mail from outside of the Preview Pane, the Ribbon displays the Tags of Importance and Flags (and the small Message Options link). 
    2. When sending e-mail from within the Preview Pane, the Ribbon shows the only Tags of "Importance," but the Flags are missing (but the Message Options link is there). 

It appears that when the designing of this originate-a-message-within-the-Preview-Pane feature was developed, the ability to Flag outgoing messages was not made available unless you "Pop Out" the message from the Preview Pane.

Even if you attempt to customize the Ribbon's Message tab (Compose Tools) by adding the Follow Up Flag command, the Flagging of the outgoing e-mail fails because the original e-mail responded to, or forwarded from is what gets Flagged. 

There clearly is a flaw in the way this new feature functions. 

• Edited by TMiq Monday, January 14, 2013 5:53 PM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the information provided. I reviewed this and was able to replicate the behavior. I have shared the details of this thread and your feedback with our developers.

Best Regards,
    Nitish Karmakar [MSFT]

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:38 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Nitish,

If possible, could I draw your attention to an additional flaw found when drilling into the Ribbon's "Tags" "Message Options"?  This happens whether you're creating a message within the Preview Pane or when the message is Popped Out.

When selecting Message Options (from Tags in the Ribbon), the "Properties" box pops up.  Within that, you may select "Categories".  When you do, a short list of Categories is presented.  That's normal.  What is missing is the Category colors (unless you select "All Categories"). 

This is not consistent with the way this works everywhere else in Outlook when the  Categories option/command is selectedEverywhere else in Outlook, the colors are always associated with the text on the short list; nowhere else is it necessary to select "All Categories" to see the colors associated with the short list of Categories.  Also, Outlook versions 2007 & 2010 had this.  It seems as if someone removed this just here, which makes no sense.

Fixing this will be appreciated by users like me who use Categories.  When you have lots of Categories, being able to see the color associated with the text -- even on the short list of Categories -- is very helpful.  Who wants to scan text? Especially when color is so much easier to quickly associate a selection with.

I hope you'll look into this inconsistency.  I know this is a seemingly small detail, but you know how users are about Outlook.  They very much appreciate when the developers take pains to consider this stuff because users like us stare at this program day-in and day-out.

Thanks.

• Edited by TMiq Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:10 AM additional info
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:09 AM
  • Thanks,

I have shared this additonal feedback.

Best Regards,
    Nitish Karmakar [MSFT]

Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:23 PM
    Answerer
  • I have a similar problem: using the reading pane for instant reply some menus are not available. I miss the followings:

• return receipt
    • change the text format (text/rtf/html)
    • insert image

It's also very annoying that the F3 hotkey is linked to the "find" option instead of the insert text block.

It's also not possible to add formatted auto correct text if I use for editing the reading pane.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:18 AM
  • Nitish,

Could you resubmit this concern to the Outlook team.  Why don't they address this kind of thing?  I'd appreciate a response from anyone at Microsoft.  It would not go unnoticed.

Thanks

Sunday, May 19, 2013 10:40 PM