none
default value of site column RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day,

I have a site column I am using for multiple content types and for each content type I want the site column to be defaulted to a different value.  I tried changing the default in the content type and the site column and it always ends up changing it for all the content types.

Basically when the user uploads a document for content type 1 the value of the site column should be 1, if the user uploads a document for content type 2, the site column should be 2 and so on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Hyde

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct or more uncertain in its success than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.

• Edited by Hyde_311 Monday, December 28, 2015 3:28 PM clarification
    Monday, December 28, 2015 3:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Hyde,

You could set the different default value of site column according to the different folder. You could go to library settings-> Column default value settings.

So there is a workaround. You could set that the one content type is in one folder. One folder only has one content type.

For more details, you could refer to the article below.

Configuring Column Default Data in SharePoint 2013.

http://blogs.interfacett.com/configuring-column-default-data-sharepoint-2013

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Hyde311,<o:p></o:p>

You cannot set the default value of column based on the selected content type you can create event receiver where you can write code to update the field value based on the content type selected.<o:p></o:p>

Second option you can use JQuery or JS to update the column value based on the User log in or selected content type as we apply validations on List form like NewForm.aspx or EditForm.aspx<o:p></o:p>

KRISHANA KUMAR

SharePoint Architect

Mosstechnet-kk.com

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

Monday, December 28, 2015 8:57 PM
  • Hi Hyde,

You could set the different default value of site column according to the different folder. You could go to library settings-> Column default value settings.

So there is a workaround. You could set that the one content type is in one folder. One folder only has one content type.

For more details, you could refer to the article below.

Configuring Column Default Data in SharePoint 2013.

http://blogs.interfacett.com/configuring-column-default-data-sharepoint-2013

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 9:00 AM