none
Connector RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All
    I am using Exchange Server 2016 with latest CU
    one of my application generates emails to around 1000 users at a time. most users say they have received email and some say they have not received email. is there any limit on connector to accept the emails. if so how can i check how many connections my connector can establish. help me with syntax

i have multiple connectors, application uses app1@contoso.com on their application, is it possible to know which connector is the application using.
    • Edited by ItsMe-Roger Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:36 AM d
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Roger,

>>is there any limit on connector to accept the emails. 

There are indeed some limits on the connector. See Message throttling on Receive connectors for more details.

You can run the following cmdlet to view the values of these Receive connector message throttling settings:

Get-ReceiveConnector | Format-List Name,Connection*,MaxInbound*,MessageRate*,TarpitInterval

>>i have multiple connectors, application uses app1@contoso.com on their application, is it possible to know which connector is the application using.

You may export all the receive connectors to .csv file and then you can easily filter out the connector that's used by the application. Something like this:

Get-receiveConnector | select Name,@{ Name = 'Bindings';  Expression = {$_.Bindings}}, @{ Name = 'RemoteIPRanges';  Expression = {$_.RemoteIPRanges}} | Export-csv C:\connectors.csv -NoTypeInformation

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 10:43 AM
  • 1. i can see the below output on mailbox server and edge server
    does it mean if application sends 1000 emails at a time my receive connector can accept only 500 emails as per the edge server output.

Mailbox Server
    ConnectionTimeout                       : 00:10:00
    ConnectionInactivityTimeout             : 00:05:00
    MaxInboundConnection                    : 5000
    MaxInboundConnectionPerSource           : Unlimited
    MaxInboundConnectionPercentagePerSource : 100
    MessageRateLimit                        : Unlimited
    MessageRateSource                       : IPAddress
    TarpitInterval                          : 00:00:05

Edge Server
    Name                                    : Default receive Connector myedgeserver
    ConnectionTimeout                       : 00:04:00
    ConnectionInactivityTimeout             : 00:01:00
    MaxInboundConnection                    : 50000
    MaxInboundConnectionPerSource           : 10000
    MessageRateLimit                        : 500

2. if i need to increase connections please help me with the synax

• Edited by ItsMe-Roger Saturday, April 27, 2019 10:38 AM d
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:19 AM
  • Hi Roger,

The receive connector should be configured on mailbox server, edge server is not a part of the mail flow process in this situation. Are the above result the message throttling settings for the specific connector used by the application?

Besides, have you checked the message tracking log and see whether these messages are successfully delivered? 

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 29, 2019 9:32 AM
  • Are the above result the message throttling settings for the specific connector used by the application?

Yes

i have one receive connector for application and i can see the below settings, with the below information can i confirm that if an application sends 1000 mails at a time also my receive connector can accept?

Mailbox Server
    ConnectionTimeout                       : 00:10:00
    ConnectionInactivityTimeout             : 00:05:00
    MaxInboundConnection                    : 5000
    MaxInboundConnectionPerSource           : Unlimited
    MessageRateLimit                        : Unlimited

• Edited by ItsMe-Roger Tuesday, April 30, 2019 12:51 AM c
    Monday, April 29, 2019 10:38 AM
  • It looks fine if this is the receive connector your application is using. 

May I know whether this issue happens each time you send bulk of emails from the application? Any findings from the Message Tracking logs?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:53 AM
  • Yes we are seeing this issue when application is sending bulk emails lets says 1000 emails at a time. from message tracking i can see some users have received emails and some dont.
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 7:41 PM
  • >>from message tracking i can see some users have received emails and some dont.

Can you see these emails that were not received entered the Exchange transport pipeline in the message tracking log? Or they just got stuck in a specific process? Do you mind to share the message tracking logs to us? If possible, you send it to ibsofc@microsoft.com. (Please include the thread URL in the message you sent so that we can easily find your message)

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 7:19 AM
  • Hi How can i check this

Can you see these emails that were not received entered the Exchange transport pipeline in the message tracking log? Or they just got stuck in a specific process?

i used the below syntax on my mailbox servers

$servers = get-content "C:\mailboxservers.txt"
    $servers  | foreach {Get-TransportService -Identity $_ | Get-MessageTrackingLog -sender "app@contoso.com" -recipients "user1@contoso.com" -ResultSize unlimited  -start "04/20/2019 00:00" -end "04/21/2019 23:59"  | Where-Object {$_.Eventid -like "Deliver" -and $_.Source -like "STOREDRIVER"} | Select-Object sender,messagesubject,@{Name="Recipients";Expression={$_.recipients}},@{Name="RecipientStatus";Expression={$_.recipientstatus}},messageid,timestamp,Eventid,Source,TotalBytes} | Export-Csv C:\output.csv -NoTypeInformation

i can see below logs

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\Connectivity

2019-03-17T16:32:03.248Z,mailboxServer01\AppRelay - Open,09C7B56ABCB4AY67,1,,220 Exchange 2016 Open Relay for Authorized Applications,
    2019-03-17T16:32:03.263Z,mailboxServer01\AppRelay - Open,09C7B56ABCB4AY67,2,,<,EHLO Appserver01.mydomain.com,
    2019-03-17T16:32:03.263Z,mailboxServer01\AppRelay - Open,09C7B56ABCB4AY67,3,mailboxServer01.mydomain.com Hello
     SIZE 10485760 PIPELINING DSN ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES STARTTLS 8BITMIME BINARYMIME CHUNKING,
    2019-03-17T16:32:03.263Z,mailboxServer01\AppRelay - Open,09C7B56ABCB4AY67,<,MAIL FROM:<app1@mydomain.com>,

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 7:41 AM
  • Hi Roger,

You may try the following command:

Get-TransportService | Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender "app@contoso.com" -recipients "user1@contoso.com" -ResultSize unlimited -MessageSubject "test" | Select-Object eventid,sender,timestamp,OriginalClientIp,connectorid,@{Name="Recipients";Expression={$_.recipients}},@{Name="RecipientStatus";Expression={$_.recipientstatus}},messagesubject | Export-csv c:\output.csv -NoTypeInformation

You can also enable SMTP protocol logging on the appropriate receive connector(s) and look in the resulting protocol log for the SMTP session.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Friday, May 3, 2019 9:12 AM
  • Dear Roger,

Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that we can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let us know and we will be happy to help.

Best regards,
    Steve Fan 

Monday, May 6, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Hi All

The below syntax , i believe will give global information for all the connectors. lets say for a connector if the restriction is set to 1000 connections how can i check that information and where should i check that.

Get-ReceiveConnector | Format-List Name,Connection*,MaxInbound*,MessageRate*,TarpitInterval

• Edited by ItsMe-Roger Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:48 PM g
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 4:59 AM
  • experts help required
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:57 PM
  • Hi Roger,

There are several locations to set a message rate limit, not just a Connector level limit. Moreover, from the configuration settings you posted before, it looks fine on the connector level.

As suggested before, you may check the message tracking logs to see the detailed mail flow process of the missed emails.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Thursday, May 9, 2019 8:02 AM
  • Hi All, i cannot check now as i dont have message tracking logs as the application generates bulk emails once in two months, where can the message rate restrictions can be set so that i can check, i have checked connectors, i did check at database.
    Friday, May 10, 2019 2:23 AM
  • Hope this could be helpful: Message rate limits and throttling.

It's recommended to check the message tracking log to help troubleshooting the issue once you have the opportunity to do this.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:51 AM
  • Hi all i checked with my colleague he said he put the restriction to 500, but he is not saying where did he put. when i use the below syntax i see the result at global level. On which levels can i check for message rate limit my colleague has set

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 3:28 PM