none
ReportServerResources error when creating new site from custom template - SharePoint 2013

Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a new sub-site based on a site template I created in the same site collection. I'm able to make my new site and save it as a template without any errors. Then, when I go and attempt to create a new site from this template, I get the following error:

Sorry, something went wrong

The content type name
    '$Resources:ReportServerResources,DataSourceContentTypeName;' cannot contain: \ 
    / : * ? " # % < > { } | ~ & , two consecutive periods (..), or special
    characters such as a tab.

Correlation ID:
    5c132e9c-ac23-f049-62c7-f2fce66d871f

Date
    and Time: 7/11/2013 2:40:40 PM

I'll note that my template is pretty basic: calendar, task list, document library, and discussion lists with custom names. I also created the template with the "save content" box checked, if that matters.

Thanks for the help!

• Edited by Der Hai Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:30 PM Additional details.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:07 PM

Answers

• Sorry, I was referring to the add-in on the sharepoint server.  Have you tried removing this content type via SharePointManager?  (backup you content db first)

http://spm.codeplex.com/

MCITP-EA | "Never test how deep the water is with both feet"

• Edited by ThatGuyRyan Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:37 PM grammar
    • Marked as answer by Der Hai Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:20 PM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Sorry, I was referring to the add-in on the sharepoint server.  Have you tried removing this content type via SharePointManager?  (backup you content db first)

So, I'm not sure why I didn't try this before, but instead of trying to delete or remove this content type (which still throws an error), I just renamed it via SP Designer and removed the disallowed characters. I then re-created the site template and I can now deploy it. So, its not exactly a solution, since I still have these content types floating out there. I've actually never used the SP Manager you linked to, but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for all the help!
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:20 PM

All replies

• Was this an upgraded site collection from 2010?  It looks like you have content types for reporting services. 

Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:07 AM
  • Was this an upgraded site collection from 2010?  It looks like you have content types for reporting services. 

If memory servers, yes, this was an upgrade from a 2010 site collection. Now that you say that, I did go to Site Content types and see the following:

$Resources:ReportServerResources,ReportServerContentTypeGroup;
     $Resources:ReportServerResources,DataSourceContentTypeName; Document

$Resources:ReportServerResources,ReportBuilderContentTypeName;

$Resources:ReportServerResources,ReportBuilderModelName;

Document

However, if I try and remove the "$Resources:ReportServerResources,DataSourceContentTypeName;" (the one in question), I get an error that says it can't be removed because its part of a site feature. Whats my resolution here?

Thanks!

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:46 PM
  • In my customers case it was an upgrade from 2007 to 2010 and ran into the same issue.  I believe the solution was to reinstall the reporting services add-in.  This is obviously different in 2013.

Do you have access to the 2010 farm or is it long gone? 

Monday, July 15, 2013 8:54 PM
  • In my customers case it was an upgrade from 2007 to 2010 and ran into the same issue.  I believe the solution was to reinstall the reporting services add-in.  This is obviously different in 2013.

I still have access to a 2010 farm, but the original source farm w/ collection for this 2013 farm is no longer in service.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:00 PM

I still have access to a 2010 farm, but the original source farm w/ collection for this 2013 farm is no longer in service.

I went ahead and uninstalled the reporting service from the SP SQL server, and then re-installed. However, I'm still getting the same error.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:29 PM

• Edited by ThatGuyRyan Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:37 PM grammar
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:37 PM

So, I'm not sure why I didn't try this before, but instead of trying to delete or remove this content type (which still throws an error), I just renamed it via SP Designer and removed the disallowed characters. I then re-created the site template and I can now deploy it. So, its not exactly a solution, since I still have these content types floating out there. I've actually never used the SP Manager you linked to, but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for all the help!
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:20 PM