none
vista black screen with white mouse RRS feed

• Question

• i got a windows vista basics desktop. it was working normally.  the windows updates always pop up so i installed it and then restarted my computer. but when i turned the computer on there were four choices. start windows normally, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with network. first time i clicked normally but it restarted. then it did it again. i tryed all of them but they all give me a black screen with nothing but the mouse. i can move the mouse but thats it. i tryed to do the task manager but that also didn't work. i turned it off for about an hour and waited, then turned it on but still it did not work. the weird thing is the interent is still working even though i had the interent and rotar installed on that computer

PS.  i got a compaq desktop
    with vista basic
    its about 6 month old
    its 32 bit
    the proceser is AMD Semprorr
    and the Graphics are by Nvidia

please help me

Sunday, March 1, 2009 10:54 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Anas, does the option "Last known good status" available when starting the computer while pressing F8 key? If so, you can try this option and see if the computer can start normally. If not, let's try the following method:

Step 1: Use the Windows Vista DVD to repair startup

===========

1. Insert the windows Vista DVD and reboot the system.

2. Press the space bar when “Press any key to boot to CD or DVD” appears

3. When the system comes to the option to install windows, there are two links at the bottom; choose the option “Repair your computer”

4. The system will locate the Windows Vista installation and show you drive it is located on. If it is not showing, and you have a non-standard SCSI or RAID controller, you will need to load the drivers for it to show. Once it is there, highlight it and click “Next”.

5. On the menu that appears, click “Startup repair”. The window will state that it is checking for problems, and prompt you to continue when it finds one to correct. Once it is done, it will prompt you to click finish to reboot. Remove the DVD from the drive and click Finish.

If the issue persists, please perform Step 2.

Step 2: Run System Restore in Windows Recovery Environment

=========

Note 1: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

Note 2: If the computer has another operational Operating System, we can save the collected log files to the hard drive partition to which another Operating System is accessible. Otherwise, please insert a floppy disk or connect a USB removable flash disk to the computer. We will collect the log files from another computer.

1. Please insert the Windows Vista DVD and reboot the computer.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4. Please highlight "Windows Vista" and click "Next".

Note: A computer may store more than one copy of Windows Vista. Please highlight the one which was just installed. The order of the items in the dialog-box is identical with the one on the boot menu.

5. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click “System Restore”.

6. Choose a restore point and try if we can restore to that point successfully.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:21 AM

All replies

• Anas Rahhal said:

i got a windows vista basics desktop. it was working normally.  the windows updates always pop up so i installed it and then restarted my computer. but when i turned the computer on there were four choices. start windows normally, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with network. first time i clicked normally but it restarted. then it did it again. i tryed all of them but they all give me a black screen with nothing but the mouse. i can move the mouse but thats it. i tryed to do the task manager but that also didn't work. i turned it off for about an hour and waited, then turned it on but still it did not work. the weird thing is the interent is still working even though i had the interent and rotar installed on that computer

PS.  i got a compaq desktop
    with vista basic
    its about 6 month old
    its 32 bit
    the proceser is AMD Semprorr
    and the Graphics are by Nvidia

please help me!!
    please help me!!

Sunday, March 1, 2009 10:55 PM
  •  

Hi Anas, does the option "Last known good status" available when starting the computer while pressing F8 key? If so, you can try this option and see if the computer can start normally. If not, let's try the following method:

Step 1: Use the Windows Vista DVD to repair startup

===========

1. Insert the windows Vista DVD and reboot the system.

2. Press the space bar when “Press any key to boot to CD or DVD” appears

3. When the system comes to the option to install windows, there are two links at the bottom; choose the option “Repair your computer”

4. The system will locate the Windows Vista installation and show you drive it is located on. If it is not showing, and you have a non-standard SCSI or RAID controller, you will need to load the drivers for it to show. Once it is there, highlight it and click “Next”.

5. On the menu that appears, click “Startup repair”. The window will state that it is checking for problems, and prompt you to continue when it finds one to correct. Once it is done, it will prompt you to click finish to reboot. Remove the DVD from the drive and click Finish.

If the issue persists, please perform Step 2.

Step 2: Run System Restore in Windows Recovery Environment

=========

Note 1: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

Note 2: If the computer has another operational Operating System, we can save the collected log files to the hard drive partition to which another Operating System is accessible. Otherwise, please insert a floppy disk or connect a USB removable flash disk to the computer. We will collect the log files from another computer.

1. Please insert the Windows Vista DVD and reboot the computer.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4. Please highlight "Windows Vista" and click "Next".

Note: A computer may store more than one copy of Windows Vista. Please highlight the one which was just installed. The order of the items in the dialog-box is identical with the one on the boot menu.

5. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click “System Restore”.

6. Choose a restore point and try if we can restore to that point successfully.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:21 AM
  • The same thing happened to my HP computer and I had already restored it after it got a virus. I tried to do it again to fix this issue and everything was grayed out. I do not have an installation CD. The computer came with Windows Vista installed already.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:58 PM