none
SharePoint Online - Retention Policy question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer who tracks expiring agreements.  They want an alert when the agreement is expiring.  Normally, this would be a Retention Policy tied to a workflow

The problem is that they don't ever really get rid of agreements.  This is just how they want it.  the agreements retain certain statuses, and most of the time the agreement is renewed and the expiration date is updated, rather than loading a new agreement.

I want to make this simple by introducing a Retention Policy that acts off of Expiration date.  However, before I did that I wanted to be sure it would not be a problem considering their requirements

So, an agreement expires and the Retention Policy fires and sends and email.  If the user updates the document to a new expiration date, but retains the same document, will the Retention Policy fire again when the new expiration date comes?  I commonly thought a Retention Policy per document was one and done.

I am mostly accustomed to implementing a one-time retention policy where if the document expires it is removed / replaced, etc.

If someone could weigh in I would be most appreciative.

Thanks

<style><br _moz_dirty="" /></style>

DWM

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 1:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The retention policy will not recur just based on the Expiration date. Assume you add a retention stage with
    “Event: Expiration Date + 0 days
    Action: Start a workflow (sends an e-mail)
    Recurrence: No”.
    On the expiration date, the retention policy acts off and sends an email. After that, if you modify to extend the Expiration date, the retention policy will not work again.

If you enable the Recurrence and set a recurrence period to 7 days for example, the retention policy will work again. However, the recurrence happens based on the initial occurrence instead of the modified and extended Expiration date. In other words, workflow will run every 7 days from the time the document first expired.

You could check this article which explain the retention policy recurrence quite well and might give you some thoughts on how to design your retention policy and the workflow.

Another thing is that there are two timer jobs called “Information management policy” and “Expiration policy”. These two timer jobs by default run weekly and SharePoint online does not support to change the timer job settings. Therefore the action might be delayed for some days depend on the run date of those two timer jobs.

Best regards,
    Sarah Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:25 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going?

Is my reply helpful for your issue?

If you think my reply is helpful, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards,

Sarah Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:39 AM
  • Hi,

Do you think my reply is helpful for your issue?

If you think my reply is helpful, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards,

Sarah Yang

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:03 AM