none
Shared calendars - color categories has disappeared after upgrade from 2007 to 2010.

Question

• Hi

Recently we upgraded 200 users from Office 2007 to 2010. After that all the colors shown in shared calendars and ecspecially rooms are gone.

IF I open the calendar item in one of those calendars I see the "Red Category" so Outlook get the information - but it is not shown in the day/week/month view.

Why? :-)

People are now complaining "where are all the colors when looking in other users / rooms calendars".

The server is Exchange 2010.

Br

Steen

Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Steen,

I found a workaround from another thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/thread/babc547d-514e-45ad-a56d-a3f102f86a14

Tip 643: Color Categories and Shared Mailboxes

A user working with shared calendars has a problem with color categories: she wants to color code appointments but she can’t add her categories to appointments on the shared calendars and she can’t add new categories to the shared calendars as all of the color category options are grayed out. Adding new color categories while working in her calendar makes them available for her appointments but not for the appointments in the shared calendars.

As she discovered, Outlook only allows categories to be created by the mailbox owner. If a user wants to add more categories they need to open each mailbox directly (i.e., using the owners username and password). Once the color categories are added, they will be available for anyone to use them when creating appointments in the calendar.

However there is a workaround you can use to avoid too much extra work on the part of the mailbox owner and it won’t require you to use their username and password to open the mailbox.

First, make sure the categories you want to use are in your master category list.

Next, create an appointment in your calendar and add all of the categories you want to use with the shared calendar to it.

Then copy the appointment to the shared calendar. Categories not in the owner's master list will be colored white.
    Finally, ask the mailbox owner to right click on the mailbox and choose Properties, then click ‘Upgrade to color categories’.

Once they do this, it adds them to the master list (with colors assigned in the order Outlook chooses) and you'll be able to use the color categories and even change the colors. (If using cached mode, you many need to wait a few minutes for the colors to update on the server.)

See if it will help.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help andunmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 27, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Hi Max

Thanks for your reply.

I dont think it is the same problem. Maybe I didn't explained myself good enough.

The users is only using the standard categories and they can choose them without any problems. They can also see the colors in their own calendar. But when they look into their colleagues calendars they dont see the colors.

People still running Outlook 2007 dont have the problem, and I found one user with 2010 who doesn't have the problem eighter.

Br

Steen

Monday, June 27, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Hi Steen,

When user try to open Share Calendars in Outlook 2007, they will be required the permission to carry through.

When user try to open Share Calendars in Outlook 2010, they will directly open it to view the appointments and meetings. But they don't have the permission to edit it.

So, I suggest you to check if the user have been given enough permission to edit the calendar.

For reference:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179110.aspx

Features available with Microsoft Exchange Server 2010

The following features are available with Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 and Outlook 2010.

• Calendar features An organization can now establish a federated trust relationship with an external partner and share availability (free/busy) information, calendar, or contacts. Federation provides the underlying trust infrastructure to enable easy and secure sharing of information across Exchange organizations and in cross-premises organizations. You can also use the new Group Schedule view in Outlook Calendar to see multiple calendars vertically, instead of side by side, or save frequently used groups of calendars together from one location. The Group Schedule view is optimized for viewing a schedule for a group and scheduling a meeting for a group.

Hope will help.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:15 AM
  • Hi again.

Everything is set up correct. the users are Publishing Editor in the mentioned calendars. I found out that it has something to do with their profiles.

IF I delete or create a new profile for a user, everything works as supposed.

I hate to ask 200+ users to delete their Outlook profile and create a new, but it will do the trick. I've seen this before in another scenario.

Is there some way to "reset" the profile?

Right now I am sitting at a users PC. She has a original profile, - a lot of permissionproblems - and now she also have a new profile (set up with autodiscover) - same account and mail server - just a parralel profile - and there everything is working. Looks like a BUG to me?

I forgot to tell, - it is ALSO working via OWA.

Br

Steen

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Hi Steen,

To reset the profile for your clients, you need to create a new Outlook 2010 .prf file, you can configure profile settings by using the OCT, and then export the settings to a .prf file.

You can also specify profile settings by editing an existing .prf file manually by using a text editor. This existing .prf file might be one that you created by using the OCT, or a .prf file from an earlier version of Outlook.

Step 1. Create a .prf file

To create a PRF file by using the Office Customization Tool

1. From the root of the network installation point, run the following command line to start the Office Customization Tool: \\server\share\setup.exe /admin

2. To edit an existing customization file (.msp), in the Select Product dialog box, click Open an existing Setup customization file. Or to create a new customization file, select the Office suite that you want to customize, and then click OK.

3. In the Outlook area, click Outlook Profile. Select how you want to customize profiles for users. Here we just select New Profile.

4. In the Outlook area, click Export settings.

5. Click the Export Profile Settings button to create a new .prf file. Enter a file name and the path on which to save the file, and then click Save.

Step 2. Apply a .prf file

You can apply a .prf file in several ways to update Outlook profiles.

To apply a .prf file by using the customization file

1. From the root of the network installation point, run the following command line to start the OCT: \\server\share\setup.exe /admin

2. To edit an existing .msp file, in the Select Product dialog box, click Open an existing Setup customization file. Or to create a new customization file, select the Office suite that you want to customize, and then click OK.

3. In the Outlook area, click Outlook Profile. Select Apply PRF, and then browse to the file.

4. On the File menu, click Save to save the .msp file.

5. Exit the OCT.

6. Put the .msp file in the Office installation source \Updates folder.

7. Install Office 2010 from the original installation source.

To apply a .prf file by using other options

• Specify the .prf file as a command-line option for Outlook.exe to import a .prf file without prompting the user. For example: outlook.exe /importprf \\server1\share\outlook.prf.

• Specify the .prf file as a command-line option for Outlook.exe, but prompt the user before importing the .prf file. For example: outlook.exe /promptimportprf \\localfolder\outlook.prf. If you put the specified .prf file in a shared folder on a network, the settings might not be applied if the file is not found or is not available when Outlook runs.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Hi Steen,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Hi again

As your collegue told me in this other thread, it might be nessesary to create new profiles for everyone. I've seen this at another customer yesterday, so it must be a common error?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchangesvrclients/thread/4ae2b017-9200-4095-a1af-a01eb8e0d268

Thanks for your help.

Br

Steen

Friday, July 01, 2011 1:15 PM