none
Deleting print driver on a Windows Server 2008 R2 - Role: TS

Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with deleting 3 print drivers on one of our Terminal servers, it keep saying this:

Failed to remove driver HP LaserJet M3027 mfp PCL6. The specified printer driver is currently in use.
    Failed to remove driver HP LaserJet M4345 mfp PCL6. The specified printer driver is currently in use.
    Failed to remove package prnhp002.inf. Access is denied.

The reason of this removing, is that HP has finally made there Universal Driver for 2008 R2, and therefore want to clean up in old drivers on our 4 terminal servers.

I have tried to stop spool service, but then i can't get in to "Print Server Properties", where i can find the print drivers installed.

Is it because i choose "Remove driver and driver package"?
    Or is it because the driver file are the same for for the old driver and the HP universal driver?

Please help... 

Monday, June 27, 2011 6:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you tried the following steps:

1. Delete the printer from control panel -> printers

2. Open Services.msc and stop and start the Print Spooler service

3. Open Print Management(Open command prompt, type in printmanagement.msc or type print management in to the start menu search box)

4. In Custom Filters -> All Drivers right click the printer driver you want to remove and select Remove Driver Package

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:30 AM

All replies

• Forgot the 3 driver fail error:

Failed to remove driver HP Color LaserJet 4700. The specified printer driver is currently in use.
    Failed to remove package prnhp001.inf. Driver package is in use.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Did yoy try to remove the drivers after a reboot?

Otherwise you can use a tool from Citrix http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX116474.

Monday, June 27, 2011 6:43 AM
  • Thanks for the answer.

unfortunately it dosen't work.

I tried to delete the printers with the tool, but it said, that it couldn't do it, because they are in use, but would delete after a restart.
    But they are still standing after the restart?? :-(

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Hello,

Are there any printers defined on the servers or are the drivers in use because of client devices?

Another option could be to just delete the driver file from the spooler directory and registry.

regards Robert Maijen
    Monday, June 27, 2011 11:15 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the following steps:

1. Delete the printer from control panel -> printers

2. Open Services.msc and stop and start the Print Spooler service

3. Open Print Management(Open command prompt, type in printmanagement.msc or type print management in to the start menu search box)

4. In Custom Filters -> All Drivers right click the printer driver you want to remove and select Remove Driver Package

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Did the OP ever get an answer?  I'm in the same boat.  Stopping and starting the spooler, draining all user sessions, rebooting, all tried and I still can't remove a problem HP DesignJet 1050c driver from my RDSH servers.  This is a real problem, because it looks like this is the driver that's hanging the logoff process for some of my user sesions (making them unable to attache to the farm again until I reboot the RDSH servers or end their session winlogon process.)

Thanks,

DLovitt
    Monday, July 25, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Did the OP ever get an answer?  I'm in the same boat.  Stopping and starting the spooler, draining all user sessions, rebooting, all tried and I still can't remove a problem HP DesignJet 1050c driver from my RDSH servers.  This is a real problem, because it looks like this is the driver that's hanging the logoff process for some of my user sesions (making them unable to attache to the farm again until I reboot the RDSH servers or end their session winlogon process.)

Thanks,

DLovitt

I know this thread has not been active for a while, but I have the same issue on a XenApp server.  I have removed all the printers, rebooted the server, uses a driver removal tool from DYMO for the DYMO driver and it is stating that the driver is in use, same as the printer manager.  I suppose I can perform a brute force removal, but I'd really rather not.

Any new suggestions?

Michael Pekarik Syntax, Inc.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:09 PM
  • I note that if there are mapped printers, these print queues will show up in "Devices and Printers" but will not show up in PrintManagement.msc.  The drivers will be present and indicate in use.  If the mapped printer is removed from "Devices and Printers" then you should be able to remove the driver from printmanagement.msc a-ok.  Hope that helps.
    Friday, May 04, 2012 9:12 PM
  • I note that if there are mapped printers, these print queues will show up in "Devices and Printers" but will not show up in PrintManagement.msc.  The drivers will be present and indicate in use.  If the mapped printer is removed from "Devices and Printers" then you should be able to remove the driver from printmanagement.msc a-ok.  Hope that helps.
    Tried that already.  The driver removed from the print server fine but I can't un-install it from the XenApp servers.  I guess I'll have to do it the old fashoned manual way because I can't find what is marking the driver as in use.

Friday, May 04, 2012 9:46 PM
  • I've had similar issues with drivers.  For me the trick was to attempt to uninstall the driver IMMEDIATELY after the spooler starts.  You literally have about a 1 second window for this.  I get the printer manager up and the command prompt so I can see both on the screen.  Get the box open where you can click 'Delete' for the driver and have that ready.  At the command prompt, stop the spooler then get your mouse over the delete button for the driver.  Restart the spooler, and the INSTANT it starts, click on the Delete button.  This almost always works but like I said, you have almost no time to wait.  If you pause for even two seconds, it will probably tell you the driver is in use.

Saturday, June 09, 2012 10:29 PM
  • Thanks Glen, I'll give that a try too.

Monday, June 11, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Glens trick about attempting to unistall the driver IMMEDIATELY after the spooler starts in combination with other solutions suggested above "did it" for me.
    • Proposed as answer by nicoonline Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:20 AM
  • Hi all. Just deleted a few drivers successfully.

This method worked for me:

1) create CMD file (for example: drv_del.cmd) like this:

net stop "Print Spooler"
    net start "Print Spooler"

2) Open CMD, move this windows to the right on the screen be sure that you are located in the directory with CMD file and type drv_del.cmd (or just drug-n-drop file from explorer) (BTW, I'm using FAR). Don't push ENTER button!

3) Open Print Management / Print servers / %your server% / drivers. Move this windows to the left on the screen. You should see both windows at the same time.

4) Right mouse click on driver you want to delete / Remove Driver package. You will see: "The following driver(s) will be deleted". Don't click DELETE button.

5) GoTo to the CMD window and puch ENTER button. Now you have about 1.5 sec to move your mouse to the Delete button =)

You will see:

D:\temp>net stop "Print Spooler"
    The Print Spooler service is stopping.
    The Print Spooler service was stopped successfully.

D:\temp>net start "Print Spooler"
    The Print Spooler service is starting.
    The Print Spooler service was started successfully.

6) Exactly after the last line you should click DELETE button.

And bingo !!! We won ! =)

• Edited by Speed Boy Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:21 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Hi Speed Boy!

Your method sounded a bit abstruse for me the first time I read it but it worked perfectly for me, too!

We have a terminalserverfarm with 2 Servers and one ugly HP-Driver was not willing to be deleted.

BR,

Kurt

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:36 AM
  • I deleted the driver from the registry key in following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3\

restarted print spooler and it's gone .. but we need to delete the driver files as well so I added the driver again, followed the right process to remove a driver in Print and Devices. This time it was successful.

Best,

Vikrant

Thursday, October 04, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi Speed Boy,

same for me, it sounds strange, but I can now understand the logic behind it. (We're running R2 Terminal Server with Xen6.5)

the driver is blocked by a registry key form a previous printer connection. When stopping the spooler, and restarting, it is not yet accessing the registry and that's why you're then able to remove the driver package. worked well for me too with 3 different driver packages.

but...: that also means, that not all printer connection registry entries on that profile are cleaned... which might lead to slow log on process

anyway. it worked for me! ;)

thanks for sharing!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:10 AM
  • I managed to delete driver with these steps (there were few print jobs on queue, on a faulty printer driver):

1. net stop spooler

2. Open \Windows\System32\Spool\Printers (on Explorer, cmd.exe does not allow cd to that)

3. Delete all files (this will delete your print queue)

4. net start spooler

5. Remove driver from Print Management

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:35 PM
  • Hi,

You should check this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2778831/en-us

• Proposed as answer by Matthew--H Monday, March 11, 2013 1:12 PM
    Monday, March 11, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Clearing up the Client Side Rendering worked for me KB2778831

Also see this article:

http://www.eversity.nl/blog/2012/06/the-specified-printer-driver-is-currently-in-use-error-is-shown-when-removing-a-printer-driver-in-windows-server-2008-r2/

• Edited by Matthew--H Monday, March 11, 2013 1:28 PM update KB reference
    Monday, March 11, 2013 1:13 PM
  • Thanks Vikrant - this worked perfectly!!!
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 3:20 PM
  • In Windows 2003 you would simply go to Printers and Faxes, choose File > Server Properties > Drivers.

In 2008 R2, this is gone. It's moved. It's missing from the server. I can't find anywhere to manage this without installing the print server role. This is not a print server it's just a session host server.

Where was all this moved? How the hell do you manage drivers anymore? Why was it moved?

There is no printmanagement.msc installed on this server, I think that's part of the print services role.
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:53 PM
  • This was great information and allowed me to get rid of a troublesome driver that was crashing the spooler
    Monday, May 05, 2014 6:16 PM
  • We had the same frustration as our system wasn't a print server either, but it does allow you to just install the print services without doing the complete role.  This allowed me to get to the driver that needed to be uninstalled.
    Monday, May 05, 2014 6:17 PM
  • w00t, thanks!
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:04 PM
  • This worked great! Exactly what I needed. Thanks
    Thursday, October 01, 2015 4:38 PM
  • If you stop the print spooler service you won't be able to see the drivers from Print Management.

Spooler service need to be started

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 4:00 PM
  • Not sure if it will help anyone but I couldnt delete a driver from my 2008r2 print server so I isolated the driver and deleted it by right clicking and deleting the package.  It wouldnt let me do it when the driver was shared.  I also noticed that none of the printers on the server had it as the driver but it kept failing to delete with the "failed to remove" error but I was able to get it off this way.
    Monday, December 21, 2015 9:21 PM
  • Reading this I was thinking, this wont make any difference. But in fact it worked a treat! Thank you.
    Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:28 PM
  • It worked!!!

Thanks very much!!

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:46 AM