none
Sharepoint online - time to crawl modify documents RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm in a process for migrate from SharePoint 2010 on-premise to SharePoint online. In my actual environment we have 3million of documents, which are indexed in three content sources:

#1 - docs modify today (1200 approx)

#2 - docs modify in week - from sunday to yesterday- (6000 approx)

#3 - all documents (3.000.000 approx)

My scope has the three content sources, so in my searchs I get documents from there. The content source #1 crawl every 3 minutos (or when one doc was modified), so the users get documents very quickly...

In SharePoint online, how can I ensure the immediate availability of documents created or modified??

thanks a lot,

Mauricio.

Mauricio

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 5:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since we don’t have access to content source in SharePoint Online, we cannot really control how contents are crawled.

According to official statement from Microsoft:

Search crawls occur continuously to make sure that content changes are available through search results as soon as possible. Recently uploaded documents may not immediately be displayed in search results because of the time that’s required to process them. SharePoint Online targets between 15 minutes and an hour for the time between upload and availability in search results (also known as index freshness). In cases of heavy environment use, this time can increase to six hours.

Based on your environment situation, I don’t recommend you re-index the sites unless necessary since re-indexing can cause a massive load on the search system.

Please refer to the links below for detailed information.

SharePoint Online classic search administration overview.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/manage-search-the-admin-center

Waiting for a search crawl in Office 365 – plan search-driven sites carefully.

Please note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:09 AM

All replies

• You don't have as much control, but what you could do is to set it for crawling at the next scheduled run. (Re-index)

Results should be fresh, as it is most likely continously crawled.

[SharePoint lurker]

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:35 PM
  • Hi,

Since we don’t have access to content source in SharePoint Online, we cannot really control how contents are crawled.

According to official statement from Microsoft:

Search crawls occur continuously to make sure that content changes are available through search results as soon as possible. Recently uploaded documents may not immediately be displayed in search results because of the time that’s required to process them. SharePoint Online targets between 15 minutes and an hour for the time between upload and availability in search results (also known as index freshness). In cases of heavy environment use, this time can increase to six hours.

Based on your environment situation, I don’t recommend you re-index the sites unless necessary since re-indexing can cause a massive load on the search system.

Please refer to the links below for detailed information.

SharePoint Online classic search administration overview.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/manage-search-the-admin-center

Waiting for a search crawl in Office 365 – plan search-driven sites carefully.

Please note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:09 AM