none
End-user can't delete files from the desktop (working on a remote desktop server (Windows Server 2012 R2) RRS feed

• Question

• The end-user can't delete files from the desktop (working on a remote desktop server (Windows Server 2012R2). This happens not always but sometimes, when we reboot the server the problem is solved for a while. If they try to delete the file the get asked to fill in the administrator credentials. Other users of the domain don't experience this problem.
    Friday, July 12, 2019 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

are you providing one single RDS Session Host Server or are the users connecting to a Session Collection (Load Balancing Session Hosts) ? 

Take a look at the UAC Settings.

Friday, July 12, 2019 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

Once problem happens, please check the file permission – Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> select the account/group and click View -> Show Advanced Permissions -> make sure there is delete permission selected. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 15, 2019 1:21 AM
  • Hi Pat_306,

It is a single RDS server. What should I check at the UAC settings?

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:44 PM
  • Hi Eve Wang,

Okay, next time I will check this and let you know.

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

About the UAC configuration:
    Control Panel -> System and Security -> Security and Maintenance -> Change User Account Control settings

I am not sure if the UAC is relate as you had mentioned that problem only happens sometimes. However, you may try to downgrade the configuration and check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang      

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:21 AM
  • unfortunately the problem occurs again, I've checked the permissions and the end user got the Delete permission.  If downgraded UAC with one level and logged off and logged in the user but without any results.
    Monday, July 22, 2019 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

>If they try to delete the file the get asked to fill in the administrator credentials.
    Please capture the screenshot about the details(prompted windows).

If manually enter the credential, will delete operation continue? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:22 AM
  • When you fill in the users credentials, u can't delete. If you fill in the administrator credentials the file will be deleted. 

See screenshot below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/1464416

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

I am unable to access the screenshot you had mentioned, it prompts page not found.

Based on your description, manually enter admin account is helpful, please confirm that if take ownership will be helpful. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:16 AM
  • See screenshot in the following link: https://ibb.co/xYbwWsx

Take owner ship with the enduser as the owner? The owner now is the enduser, I don't understand what you want me to do exactly? 

Monday, July 29, 2019 7:27 AM
  • Any ideas? Problem is still not fixed, would like to hear from you. Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:22 AM