none
Picture placeholders in Visio RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Visio to annotate pictures and plans with Arrows, lines of route .  At present we import a picture, resize for each picture currently 6 per page, usually about 32 per file.  Is there a way of setting up a template to right click change picture to browse for the pictures which will automatically pull the image in and fit it to the frame.  In the same way that the org chart templates allow but I dont need any text or banners, just a simple rectangle and image.  Its driving me mad as surely it must be possible but I am stumped..
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, when you import an image (Insert > Image > From File...), the image is a Visio shape, and the text is at the bottom, but as you've probably noticed, it's a brand-new shape. So if you've done any tweaking to a shape, you can't re-use this without some work.

The built-in Visio Org-chart solution allows you to insert pictures into each position-shape. You might be able to utilize that to some extent.

To do this with your own shapes, however, would require a bit of code.

Based on my test, you can group a Rectangle and an image, duplicate the page. You can right-click the grouped shape > select Group > click Open Group. You can delete the image and insert a new one.

Hope the information was helpful. Any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, July 5, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:10 AM
  • Thanks Herb, I will try this today.  What I have done so far as a workaround is record a macro of resizing and compressing the images and then rearranging them in a grid.  That works ok so I may use this for now.  Will let you know if I get it sorted using your suggestion.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:31 AM
  • I couldnt get the image to resize within the rectangle without manually doing it unlike in the org chart where it does it for you..  thanks though
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 5:18 PM