Internet facing Hub Transport RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Internet facing Hub Transport server (Exchange 2007).  I want to create a perimeter and install an Edge Transport server in it.  I am looking for some online guidance that woill allow me to complete the task without disruption to the current operation.  Does anyone have any links or suggetstions? 

David Napolitan

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

I normally advise customers against using Edge Transport Servers if there are other options availble like hosted AV filtering or a AV/Spam appliance.  Do you have a particular requirement for an ETS that you cannot fill another way?

That said there is a good article here (6 articles actually): http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/planning-architecture/uncovering-exchange-2007-edge-transport-server-part1.html

and some more information here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124701%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

Cheers, Steve

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:26 PM
  • Actually, yes I do.  The MX records direct the mail to two Barracuda devices, which then forward the mail to the mailbox server.  This mail server has the CAS, Mailbox, and Hub Transport roles.  The server I mentioned above has only the HTand CAS roles.  As far as I can tell, the only reason it exists is to provide a platform for web based mail and I devices.  It has two NIC cards, one configured with the public address and one the private address.  The I devices are configured with the public address.  I actually want to get rid of this server, since the purpose of the perimeter network is for a Lync Installation.

David Napolitan

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Hi

You could just use the Barracudas to direct the mail to you Mail/Hub/CAS, using an Edge server will not really give you anything extra other than an added complication for troubleshooting.

If you need to securely publish client access for i devices then a TMG or UAG would be the best choice, certainly much better than a CAS which is joined to your perimeter network.

Cheers, Steve

• Marked as answer by Castinlu Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:25 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:22 PM
  • On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:22:47 +0000, steve siyavaya wrote:

>You could just use the Barracudas to direct the mail to you Mail/Hub/CAS, using an Edge server will not really give you anything extra other than an added complication for troubleshooting.

I'd pretty much agree with that.

>If you need to securely publish client access for i devices then a TMG or UAG would be the best choice, certainly much better than a CAS which is joined to your perimeter network.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:42 PM