none
Office 365 Hybrid Env, user desktop outlook gets new message alert, but not the new message RRS feed

• Question

• First, I'm not sure where to ask this so I picked just Exch 2016 since that's our version.

We recently moved to a hybrid environment.  I've got one user that is getting notification of new messages but no message until she picks another folder and then comes back to the inbox.  So, Inbox shows a new msg notification, the pinned shortcut shows a new msg, windows alert pops up for a new message, but it doesn't show up in the list of new messages until she changes to another folder then back.

I don't think it matters, but the sorting they do and the preview pane is sorted in an interesting way.  It's sorted newest on bottom, reverse sort.  I've recreated it and it works for me, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Again, we're hybrid.  Messages show up as normal in OWA.

Ben Rollman

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for visiting our forum, here we mainly focus on general issues about Exchange 2016 Servers but your question is more related to Outlook desktop client. So I'll move your thread to the dedicated forum for Outlook clients.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thanks for your understanding and hope your question will be resolved soon.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Does this issue only happen to specific user?

Do you have cached Exchange mode enabled? What if we switch to Online mode, will same issue occur?

What's the size of local data file? If the data file is too large, Outlook may experience some pause. Try archiving mailbox or change the Offline settings to a shorter time.

Besides, this issue could also be caused by a corrupted view settings. Try running following cmdlet command:

1. Exit Outlook.
    2. Press Win + R to open Run.
    3. Type Outlook /cleanviews and press Enter. (there is a space between Outlook and /)

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Are there any updates with this issue?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:41 AM
  • From what the user has said, using the default sorting instead of reverse sorting doesn't present the same problem.  I'm not sure that's going to be a "fix" or just "don't use the reverse sorting."

Ben Rollman

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:28 PM
  • From what the user has said, using the default sorting instead of reverse sorting doesn't present the same problem.  I'm not sure that's going to be a "fix" or just "don't use the reverse sorting."

Ben Rollman

Do you mean this sort setting?

I'm glad to see that issue was fixed now. You can share details of the solution so the information could also benefit other forum members.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 5:26 AM
  • I wouldn't call it solved.  The user just has a unique way of viewing her emails as they come in.  The "fix" was to have it not be that unique view, just default.

But, I can't replicate it.  She has her Reading Pane on the bottom, and then does a Reverse Sort.

Ben Rollman

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 1:31 PM
  • It seems that the issue is really related with the view. We can recreate that view to see if any settings are corrupted: Click View > Change View > Manage Views > New.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 5:33 AM
  • Just so I understand this.  Create a new view that's the same as the current view, but just to see if it's the view itself that's bad and not something else?

Ben Rollman

Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:44 PM
  • Hi Ben,

From the description above, the issue occurs in that unique view but didn't occur in the default view. So there may be some corrupted settings in that view. Recreating a view could help check that.

If it works in a new view, we can directly use the new view as a workaround. If not, other aspects is affecting this.

In addition, we can also open Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

You can feel free to post back if there are any updates.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, October 25, 2019 9:02 AM
  • I’ll write a brief summary here for your information:

[Issue Symptom:]

====================

Email missing in a custom view but doesn't occur to the default view

[(Possible) Cause:]

====================

Corrupted settings in the custom view

[Troubleshooting Steps so far:]

1. Create a new view
    2. Safe mode
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 2:27 AM