none
windows credentials RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone help me identify the steps necessary to set up the windows credentials on each computer on my home network so I have access to each computer and the hard drive therein? I'd like to be able to have access to each computer for additional storage space, in the event I need it, to shift files around the network.

Thanks!

john

Saturday, October 19, 2019 10:44 PM

All replies

• Just make all of them a member of the same named workgroup, create a local account on each using the same username / password. Turn on Network Discovery and Enable File Sharing on all. 

Also for the newer OS's enabling network discovery may help. Check these services are started on all members DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery UPnP Device Host and also check the firewalls allow Network Discovery for the network profile you're using (in my example below using domain).

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, October 19, 2019 10:56 PM
  • You can also add another account and password over here, so that other account can log on your Server without printing password.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:27 AM
  • Hi,
    Just want to confirm the current situations.
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Hello,
    I'm Daniel, a technical support for Technet Forum.
    If the replies of forum users is helpful to your question, please take time out of your busy schedule to mark it as an answer, so that other users with the same question can quickly find it here.
    Really appreciated your contribution to Technet forum and understanding!
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Friday, October 25, 2019 7:09 AM
  • Okay, I have the credentials where I can see the files and have access to everything. However, if I attempt to move them, even though I have it currently set as full access, read write, etc., I get an error message that I do not have the permissions set. I'm loggin is a the administrator, but is there a set of permissions buried in the architecture somewhere that I need to adjust?
    Friday, November 8, 2019 4:41 PM
  • Glad to hear of progress. May want to check effective permissions in both places (share / underlying NTFS)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 8, 2019 4:52 PM