locked
Sending mail - 0x80040115 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    Clients at one remote site are experiencing issues sending mail - receiving is not an issue. One or two messages will go out after Outlook is opened and then the rest will bank up in the outbox. I have recreated profiles for them, but some, not all, continue experiencing this issue with the new profile.

    Client: Outlook 2010 over MAPI
    Server: Exchange 2010 SP1
    OS: Windows 7 and 2008 R2 on the server

    The remote site is connected via a VPN tunnel, which is connected and has been solid for days. At the site there is a golbal catalogue server. RPCdiag shows directory and mail connections with an error rate of <5%, and pings around 300ms. Autodiscover succeeds through SCP. I have checked AD and DNS replication, and restarted the exchange server. The only thing in the Outlook logs that stood out to me was the error code - ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x80040115.

    Outlook seems to be the only thing at that site with an issue.

    Any tips are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Friday, March 23, 2012 12:39 AM

Answers

  • I believe I may have got to the root of the issue (fingers crossed it doesnt come back). I have had clients running for a couple of days now without any reports of this issue. Since my last update I have brought another site online in AD, and they initially had this issue too.

    I have made two changes:

    1. I dont believe this was of any impact, but will note it just in case. In my networks, client access the internet through proxies and servers have direct access. At the site with the original issue I noticed I had accidentally left a test proxy configured on the domain controller. It was working, but wasnt meant to be there so I removed it. It may be just superstition.

    2. This was the game changer - Outlook Anywhere settings are configured via Group Policy. I had enabled 'On slow networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP'. I disabled this. During my troubleshooting I checked Outlook diagnostics on clients with issues many times and NEVER once was a client on the LAN connecting via HTTPS. So I dont know why this would have any affect, but it seems to.

    I hope others with this issue can find a fix here.

    Thanks for everyones suggestions.


    • Marked as answer by nfwye Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:32 AM
    • Edited by nfwye Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:34 AM
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:32 AM

All replies

  • hi,

    My suggestion is check your network first. You say your ping result is around 300ms, it means that your network isn't stable.

    About your error cord, i also find some solution, all caused by the network.

    hope can help you

    thanks,


    CastinLu

    TechNet Community Support

    • Marked as answer by nfwye Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by nfwye Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:15 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 2:18 AM
  • Thanks, although I couldnt find any other evidence to point to this being a network problem, restarting the VPN tunnel seems like it might have fixed the issue.

    BTW that 300ms was RPC ping, ICMP ping was only ~90ms, which is reasonable for the connections.

    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:49 AM
  • Just after I posted this the error came back.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:15 AM
  • But what about packet loss when pinging?

    rgds Sven

    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Hi Sven, no issue with loss.

        Packets: Sent = 159, Received = 159, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 94ms, Maximum = 213ms, Average = 97ms

    Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:13 AM
  • Hi Sven, no issue with loss.

        Packets: Sent = 159, Received = 159, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 94ms, Maximum = 213ms, Average = 97ms


    Ping seems to be fine. Do You use Outlook in cached/online mode? Tried to change this? Try to use HTTPS instead TCP when connecting against exchange if its possible.

    rgds Sven

    Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:31 AM
  • All clients have cached mode enabled via GPO, along with outlook anywhere set to use the external address.

    This configuration has been working without issue for the last 6 months. I will look testing your tip though.

    Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:50 AM
  • I believe I may have got to the root of the issue (fingers crossed it doesnt come back). I have had clients running for a couple of days now without any reports of this issue. Since my last update I have brought another site online in AD, and they initially had this issue too.

    I have made two changes:

    1. I dont believe this was of any impact, but will note it just in case. In my networks, client access the internet through proxies and servers have direct access. At the site with the original issue I noticed I had accidentally left a test proxy configured on the domain controller. It was working, but wasnt meant to be there so I removed it. It may be just superstition.

    2. This was the game changer - Outlook Anywhere settings are configured via Group Policy. I had enabled 'On slow networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP'. I disabled this. During my troubleshooting I checked Outlook diagnostics on clients with issues many times and NEVER once was a client on the LAN connecting via HTTPS. So I dont know why this would have any affect, but it seems to.

    I hope others with this issue can find a fix here.

    Thanks for everyones suggestions.


    • Marked as answer by nfwye Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:32 AM
    • Edited by nfwye Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:34 AM
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:32 AM