none
Problem sharing WMV in Windows Media Player RRS feed

• Question

• One of our users attempted to share Windows Media Player so that participants could all watch a video.  He tested it first on his laptop with a member of the help desk, and all went well.  When he loaded it in the conference room PC however, media player would share, but the participants only saw a blank media player screen.  In subsequent tests his own media player screen would be blank the moment he shared it.  It was the same whether he shared the media player alone, or his entire desktop.

We tried again using different PC's, and some worked and others did not.  It was difficult to find a correlation.  All of the clients are using the same (latest) version of the Lync client.  It's certainly not a port or server issue since it does seem to work for certain clients on the same network and in the same pool.

I realize there isn't a lot to go on here, but i'm hoping maybe somebody else experienced something similar and can suggest some things to check.  All the computers in question are running more or less the same software (same antivirus, same OS (XP), same version of Office (2010), etc..)

All servers and clients are running the October 2012 Lync CU.

Thanks in advance!
    Monday, March 11, 2013 3:36 PM

Answers

• Fixed!  Still not sure what the cause was, but we re-imaged the effected PC with Windows 7 x64 (had been XP x32), and voila!  I can't say if it was the 32-to-64 switch, or the OS upgrade (or maybe both), but it's working now.  Woo hoo!

• Marked as answer by blinkyjesus Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:49 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:49 PM

All replies

• One of our users attempted to share Windows Media Player so that participants could all watch a video.  He tested it first on his laptop with a member of the help desk, and all went well.  When he loaded it in the conference room PC however, media player would share, but the participants only saw a blank media player screen.  In subsequent tests his own media player screen would be blank the moment he shared it.  It was the same whether he shared the media player alone, or his entire desktop.

We tried again using different PC's, and some worked and others did not.  It was difficult to find a correlation.  All of the clients are using the same (latest) version of the Lync client.  It's certainly not a port or server issue since it does seem to work for certain clients on the same network and in the same pool.

I realize there isn't a lot to go on here, but i'm hoping maybe somebody else experienced something similar and can suggest some things to check.  All the computers in question are running more or less the same software (same antivirus, same OS (XP), same version of Office (2010), etc..)

All servers and clients are running the October 2012 Lync CU.

Thanks in advance!

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hi,

It should be caused by the driver of the Graphics Card or network bandwidth. So please update the driver of graphics card for PC and make sure the network is same as other worked PCs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sean Xiao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Tried to update the drivers, didn't fix it.

The PC is connected to a projector.  Would being hooked up to a projector effect this?

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

The projector just works as a monitor. Can the PC show media player with other monitor?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sean Xiao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:51 AM
  • Fixed!  Still not sure what the cause was, but we re-imaged the effected PC with Windows 7 x64 (had been XP x32), and voila!  I can't say if it was the 32-to-64 switch, or the OS upgrade (or maybe both), but it's working now.  Woo hoo!

• Marked as answer by blinkyjesus Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:49 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:49 PM