none
Hostednetwork hang randomly after a few hours

Question

• Hello guys, I got the problem here...

I want to share the internet, the hotspot working properly. But after a few hours, some clients disconnected and cannot connect to the hotspot that I created it.

When I attempt to restart the hotspot (typing "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork" on cmd), it hang for a few minutes, and then hostednetwork stopped

My friend got this problem too

What should I do? ;_:

Wireless Network Adapter : 

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter

Thanks,

Antony Kurniawan

Friday, January 29, 2016 4:03 AM

Answers

• Microsoft didn't make a clear answer but Hosted Network (SoftAP) API seems deprecated since Windows 8.1 and Microsoft recommand to move to Wi-Fi Direct products. (MSDN Link: Wi-Fi Direct)

Actually, there's no built-in feature to create a Wireless AP with Wi-Fi Direct and I don't know if Microsoft will provide something like Hosted Network in the future based on this technology.

You should have a look at Connectify, which seems to be the first application based on Wi-Fi Direct to create a Wireless AP.
    I use it on my laptop where the Hostned Network is not supported on my Killer Wireless Network adapter.

https://www.connectify.me/

Gerald

• Marked as answer by Smankusors Sunday, March 13, 2016 12:53 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 11:01 AM

All replies

• May be the drivers got corrupted.

Open Device Manager, locate and expand Network adapters, select the wireless driver, right click on it and select to Uninstall. Once done, reboot your system and allow Windows to find native drivers. Get connected with the internet  and update the driver.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Friday, January 29, 2016 10:29 AM
  • Hmm.... Before I do that...

I already reinstalling Windows about 3 times, and yeah the problem still happen ;_;

The driver already up to date via Device Manager...

Friday, January 29, 2016 11:54 AM
  • Bump, help anyone? ;_;
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 5:55 AM
  • Hi Antony,

What's message when you run "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" command to start the hosted network.

Please try to use the previous network driver when it worked properly.

And then also consider to delete it.

To located to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WlanSvc\Parameters\HostedNetworkSettings

Note: backup this registry before you modify it.

Then delete this entry, restart the computer to confirm the issue.

After that, re-create it again to check the result.

This article could be as a reference:

Using Wireless Hosted Network and Internet Connection Sharing

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd815252%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 1, 2016 6:12 AM
  • What's message when you run "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" command to start the hosted network.

The hosted network started.

Using win8.1 driver from ASUS instead win10 driver from WU

> Working but still hangs randomly

Using default Win10 driver

Deleting registry entries

-

Btw the system is ASUS X450JF

My friend, which is ASUS too (but I don't know the model), has this problem too

• Edited by Smankusors Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:08 PM grammar fix
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:07 PM
  • Bump, help anyone? ;_;
    Friday, February 5, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Bump, help anyone? ;_;"
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:57 PM
  • Damnit, now the hostednetwork hanging after several minutes!

I think the problem is there is a device blocking other devices being connected on my hotspot, but I don't know which device it is... Anyone help? ;_;

Monday, February 15, 2016 6:41 AM
  • Bump! Help anyone? ;_;*
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

Seems that Asus will not provide you a Windows 10 driver.

Latest version I can find for this card is 10.0.0.329.
    Have you tested with this version?

https://www.atheros-drivers.com/download-driver-nr-309-for-atheros-AR9485WB-and-Windows10.html

Gérald

Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:35 PM
  • Sorry but I currently have no time to try on my own laptop... But my teacher have a laptop, that's running Win10 too

ASUS X550DP with Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG

But again, I have no time to try for a long time... There is another problem, I successfully created a hostednetwork, but... partial internet access ;_;

I already tried with Windows default driver, ASUS driver, and your driver, still same problem

I tried to ping 8.8.8.8, and it is success both of devices (the laptop and the device that connected to hostednetwork)

I tried browsing with Chrome (Android), and returns an error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

When I entered the DNS manually on the device that connected to the hostednetwork, it is working!

But it seems to complicated to enter DNS manually.... Is there any solution?

• Edited by Smankusors Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:35 AM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:34 AM
  • OK tried with my own laptop... And yeah with the driver that you provided, it is still hang after few hours when I attempt to stop the hostednetwork

Monday, March 7, 2016 2:12 PM
  • Bump, help anyone? ;_;
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:00 AM
  • Microsoft didn't make a clear answer but Hosted Network (SoftAP) API seems deprecated since Windows 8.1 and Microsoft recommand to move to Wi-Fi Direct products. (MSDN Link: Wi-Fi Direct)

Actually, there's no built-in feature to create a Wireless AP with Wi-Fi Direct and I don't know if Microsoft will provide something like Hosted Network in the future based on this technology.

You should have a look at Connectify, which seems to be the first application based on Wi-Fi Direct to create a Wireless AP.
    I use it on my laptop where the Hostned Network is not supported on my Killer Wireless Network adapter.

https://www.connectify.me/

Gerald

• Marked as answer by Smankusors Sunday, March 13, 2016 12:53 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 11:01 AM
  • hmm... that's what I just read... Damn Microsoft >.<"

Well... I have no option to buy the Connectify license, even there is a free version, I don't want that connectify text on my hotspot name >.<"

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 11:14 AM