none
Send OBO Distribution List not working...except for a short time RRS feed

• Question

• I set up a Distribution List as follows:

1. Create a Universal Security (not Distribution) Group named "Test", and add a mailbox user as a member.
    2. In Exchange console, add "Test" as a Distribution Group, using "Existing Group" and selecting "Test" from the list.
    3. Issue this command from Exchange PowerShell: Set-DistributionGroup "Test" -GrantSendOnBehalfTo "Test"
    4. Wait about 3 hours for IS processing latency.

Logged on as the user who is a member of "Test" on an OL2010 PC and sent a message, specifying "Test" as the From address. Received this NDR:

--------------------------

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

recipient@domain.com
    You can't send a message on behalf of this user unless you have permission to do so. Please make sure you're sending on behalf of the correct sender, or request the necessary permission. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Diagnostic information for administrators:
    Generating server:
    recipient@domain.com
    #MSEXCH:MSExchangeIS:/DC=local/DC=domain:EXCHSERVER[578:0x000004DC:0x0000001D] #SMTP#

-------------------------------------

Found lots of folks online here and elsewhere with the same problem. Among the replies that actually worked--

• Tried with OWA and had no problem sending OBO "Test".
    • Create a new Outlook profile. It worked...until some point later in the day, when it STOPPED working, and I resumed getting the same NDR as with the old profile. Tried with a different mailbox on a different computer with OL2016; same results.

So, crazy as this sounds, it appears that, as a delayed operation in provisioning a new Outlook profile, whatever permission is causing the problem is applied to the profile, and after that it won't work any more.

Any idea what is happening and how to fix it?

TIA

Friday, July 12, 2019 9:03 PM

All replies

• Hi TIA,

I reproduce the same issue in my lab, and try the following method, it seems to be fixed. Please have a try and check again:

1. Close Outlook
    2. Delete the offline address book folders in "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook"
    3. Open Outlook and let it download a new copy of the offline address book:
      Send/Receive Tab > Send/Reveive Groups > Download Address Book > Choose Full Details and \Global Address List

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Niko, thanks, but it did not work. Same NDR.

Monday, July 15, 2019 1:21 PM
  • Hi JRVCr,

I will keep researching this issue, if get any progress, I will post it here. Moreover, i also recommend you open a ticket to help dig in this issue deeply.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:35 AM