none
how to send reminder email for every 2 days after due date occurs in sharepoint 2010 workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

Please suggest an idea "How to send an email reminder to user for every 2 days after due date occurs for an item in a list in sharepoint 2010 workflow?

Badri

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description, I understand that you want to send email reminders after due date. There are some details need to be confirmed:

1. Do you want the email reminders sent before or after a certain date?
    2. When will the email remainders begin to be sent? Such as 2 days after created date. Please describe it with more details.

If you want to send email reminders 2 days after item created, you can consider using Information Management Policy and workflow as below:

1. Create a simple workflow containing a sending email action.
    2. Go to List/Document Library settings>Information Management Policy settings.
    3. Choose a content type and define a policy.
    4. In the “Retention” section. Enable retention and add a retention stage like: Created+2 daysàStart a workflowàChoose your workflow. Then in the recurrence section, check the “Repeat this stage’s action until another stage is activated”
    5. Add a retention stage, set the time period to be: Due Date (All your date and date/time columns can be found in the dropdown list). And set the action to be “Skip to next stage”
    6. Save

For more information about Information Management Policy, you can refer to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/create-and-apply-information-management-policies-HA101631505.aspx

If I have any misunderstandings, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Kenon Yin

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:23 AM

All replies

•  by using both normal workflow settings at site level  & by using sharepoint designer?

Badri

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

From your description, I understand that you want to send email reminders after due date. There are some details need to be confirmed:

1. Do you want the email reminders sent before or after a certain date?
    2. When will the email remainders begin to be sent? Such as 2 days after created date. Please describe it with more details.

If you want to send email reminders 2 days after item created, you can consider using Information Management Policy and workflow as below:

4. In the “Retention” section. Enable retention and add a retention stage like: Created+2 daysàStart a workflowàChoose your workflow. Then in the recurrence section, check the “Repeat this stage’s action until another stage is activated”
    5. Add a retention stage, set the time period to be: Due Date (All your date and date/time columns can be found in the dropdown list). And set the action to be “Skip to next stage”
    6. Save

For more information about Information Management Policy, you can refer to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/create-and-apply-information-management-policies-HA101631505.aspx

If I have any misunderstandings, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Kenon Yin

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:23 AM
  • Hi Kenon,

Yes, I need to send an reminder email to user after due date for every 2 days once,

& moreover reminder email should start after the due date.

Cheers,

Badri.

Badri

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

Then I think an Information Management Policy and workflow like below will work:

4. In the “Retention” section. Enable retention and add a retention stage like: Due Date (All your date and date/time columns can be found in the dropdown list)+2 daysàStart a workflowàChoose your workflow. Then in the recurrence section, check the “Repeat this stage’s action until another stage is activated”
    5. Add a retention stage, set the time period to be: Due Date (All your date and date/time columns can be found in the dropdown list)+how long do you want the reminder expiries. And set the action to be “Skip to next stage”
    6. Save

Thanks,

Kenon Yin

• Proposed as answer by santhoshv Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:26 AM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:29 AM
  • Hi Kenon,

As per ur suggestions, I had followed same steps,

whole scenario iam trying in test server, when i had completed all the steps and iam saving the settings ,iam getting an error message " 

Server Error in '/' Application.

could you please let me know whether i have to start workflow in site or sp designer

Badri

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:06 AM