none
Outlook 2010 duplicates mail with setting Leave mail on sever, Delete After n days and pressing Send/Receive All folders

Question

• The setting Leave mail on the server and Delete after n days and Pressing Send/Receive all folders causes outlook 2010 to duplicate all mails of the last n days over and over again.

If I leave outlook 2010 open this problem does not occur, mail will be retreived without a problem. If I leave Outlook 2010 open for a long time and then press Send/Receive all folders it does work ok. If I restart Outlook 2010 and then press Send/Receive all folders the problem occurs.

The pst file is a new one. OTher mail accounts that do have Leave mail on the server but not Remove after n days do not have the duplicating behaviour.

I have manually removed 6400 duplicate mails, if Microsoft does not solve this urgent problem soon I need to remove Office 2010 from my computer and go back to Office 2007, Office 2007 worked fine for me.

Is there a solution fir this problem, or a free tool to remove all duplicates?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:07 AM

All replies

• This issue is not a common issue so it is likely to be something in your cofiguration that is causing this.

How many POP3 accounts do have configured in this mail profile?
    Are all POP3 accounts delivering their email to a dedicated pst-file or do you mix everything in a single pst-file?

Have you checked your pst-file for errors already with scanpst.exe?
    Have you tried removing the account, restarting Outlook and then re-added the account already?
    Have you tried it with a new mail profile already?

Additional solutions can be found here;
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/duplicates.htm

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Ah, I see in another thread that you have multiple POP3 accounts configured to deliver to the same pst-file. I can see how that might be a problem since Outlook now stores the last send/receive results for a specific account in the pst-file itself. This would enable you to move the pst-file to another computer without the new computer starting to redownload all the messages.

The stange thing is that it only seems to go wrong when you have the "remove after x days" option specified as well and not for the generic "leave on server" option.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:02 PM
  • I tried repairing the .pst file, scanpst found errors and fixed them. I think its strange the .pst contained errors, I just created it and moved the mail out of my old .pst file to the new one. But scanpst fixed the errors.

However this made the problem worse.

Now when I start outlook it automatically begins to download all messages of the last 10 days again, duplicating everything. Before this just happended when I pressed Send/Receive all Folders. Once downloaded whenever I press Send Receive all Folders I get all mails again duplicated. And worse, Outlook checks the mail every few minutes and begins duplicating again! So now Outlook has created its own mailbomb, I can not leave it unattended.

I bought a duplicate remover to get rid of all duplicates, I had over 21000 duplicate mails...

I sincerely hope Microsoft comes with a fix for this soon.

The duplicating behaviour does only occur in the first mail account I have set up, the one with leave messages on the server and delete after 10 days. It can be the problem occurs only on the first mail account. I can confirm I have separate mail accounts delivering to the same .pst file, I also had this in oulook 2007 where it worked fine. The other accounts mostly have leave mail on the server too, but no delete after n days.

I see by the way my discussion on this subject on http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups is shamefully copied to many other forums :-(

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Dear Pieter,

Normally, the duplicate emails can be related to the following factors:

•Rules

•Multiple accounts

•Profile recreation

•Synchronization tools

•Virus scanner/firewall

•Tools to clean up the mess

You can troubleshoot this issue by the suggestions on this website:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/duplicates.htm

Note: The steps are for Outlook 2003/2007. The steps in Outlook 2010 are similar.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:12 AM
  • Thanks for responding

- Checked the rules, they are not causing duplicates
    - I have multiple accounts, but the are no aliases
    - I did create a new .pst in outlook 2010, checked it with scanpst
    - I do not have synchrisation tools
    - My provider scans my mail, do not do that locally, no firewall
    - I do have a duplicate mail remover from the faq page, but the problem occurred before that

The setting delete after n days does not matter. The problem only occurs in the first account I have, and I have multiple mail accounts with Leave mail on server delivering to the same .pst file. Only the first account duplicates. Duplicating occurs when starting Outlook, and sometimes (not always) when I press Send Receive all Folders.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:15 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue.

I have two machines -

1. A Win-7 box that is my main machine with Outlook 2010 set to remove e-mails when retrieved.
      This machine is set up to access three different e-mail accounts, and deposit the mails received into a single .pst file, using the same set of rules to process all e-mails received.
    2. A Win-7 laptop that also has Office/Outlook 2010 on it that I use as a "mirror" machine for when I am traveling.
      I mirror it by copying all the office/outlook setup and data files in ..\App Data\Local\Microsoft and ..\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft from my "main" machine to the laptop in toto.
    3. The Win-7 laptop is set to "leave messages on server" and the "remove after n days" is NOT set.

I have been doing this for a while with Offfice/Outlook 2003 and never had a glitch.

Office/Outlook will re-download e-mails from the various accounts, if - and only if - Outlook is restarted.  I have not tried checking the .pst files for errors, (and after that last comment about creating a mail-bomb, I'm not about to either!)

IMHO this is - at the very least - a SEV-2 bug as it significantly impacts the customer's use of the product and there is no real workaround except for manually deleting duplicate e-mails.  I can also sympathise with the original poster as I can see how, after a few days on a busy e-mail account, he could easily have thousands of duplicate e-mails to wade through.

The fact that "multiple accounts" mapping to one single .pst file might be the cause of this - is an absurd answer!  Surely the folks at Microsoft thought that people might aggregate multiple e-mail accounts into a single .PST file, right?  Especially since - when creating the account - Outlook gives you the option of re-using an existing .PST file, regardless of who else might be using it!

Outlook has allowed this for decades.  Mozilla mail and Thunderbird even longer than that.  In fact, I do not think I have seen a mail client in the last 20+ years that ever barfed with this before now.  Heck! Even Unix's crufty old "mail" application handled this gracefully long before Outlook (or even Windows!) was a gleem in it's daddy's eye. . . .

As Peter mentioned above, I use a lot of rules, but there are no "rule loops".  I do not have aliases.  I do not have sync tools.  I do have a firewall (hardware) and an AV program - but these have never been a problem before.

Please, can we get this fixed?  This makes it very difficult for me to both use, and recommend, Office/Outlook 2010 to any interested clients . . . .

Thanks!

Jim

Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:09 PM
  • Dear Pieter,

I suggest creating a new Outlook profile, and create the problematic account in the new profile, to see if the problem occurs.

Here are the detailed steps on how to create a new profile to test this issue

==============

1.    Exit Outlook.

2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail. In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.

Note    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.

3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.    Click Add.

5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK. Please also follow the onscreen instructions to create the email account in this profile.

6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:49 AM
  • Sally, Thanks for you suggestion.

I tried creating a new profile, and adding the first of 11 accounts that I have in my old profile. With one account using the same .pst the duplicating behaviour of Outlook 2010 disappears.

When I add the remaining accounts to my new profile, pointing to the same .pst, the duplicating reappears.
    My remove duplicate mail plug-in that I purchased already removed 1500 duplicate mail messages, again.

So I'm still hoping for a fix of Microsoft, and wouldn't recommend using multiple mail accounts with leave mail on server in one .pst file in Outlook 2010, or upgrading when you have multiple mail accounts with leave mail on server in one .pst in older Outlook versions.

Monday, May 31, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Just upgraded to Office 2010 and now I have this same issue. This did not occur in Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007. Seems a serious bug has been introduced. Everytime I start Outlook it duplicates all mail on the server.

This is exactly the way I have been using Outlook for many years. Two computers, one downloads mail, the other leaves a copy on the server. Multiple email accounts (3) going to the same PST. The "Delete after 10 days" is a red herring. It makes no difference. This is probably more common than a previous poster alluded to.

The only workaround is to start the other computer and download the mail off the server.

Looking forward to a patch fix from Microsoft. They broke it.

Monday, July 19, 2010 12:15 PM
  • I have the same problem as well. Very annoying, especially when 2007 worked fine and this is an upgrade.

Microsoft - please fix it, i don't want to have to go through mulitple troubleshooting options.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:35 AM
  • We have the same problem here. Please patch ASAP as we are frequent users of the Microsoft product and is now impacting corporate office staff and management.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:12 PM
  • I also have the same problem using Outlook 2010.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:02 PM
  • I also have the same problem with Outlook 2010.  I have installed and during the test phase I have also experienced duplicate emails.  I am employed with a very large organization and support multiple systems.  While I would like to suggest to our organization to implement, I cannot recommend advancing to 2010 Office without a viable solution by Microsoft to bring resolution to this obvious problem.  Please, please provide a patch that will resolve this problem.  We do not have the time and cannot utilize resources to resolve a Microsoft bug.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:20 AM
  • How did you solve the duplicate emails in Outlook 2010? I just bought a new computer an installed Office Home and Busines 2010 ...eveytime I open Outlook I get the same emails. Please help me if you resolved this issue. Thank you!
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:02 AM
  • LOJ,

The Outlook 2010 duplicate mail problem still isn't solved.

What you can do as workaround is create separate .pst files for every mail account you have, or disable the setting keep mail on server. Furthermore I purchased a duplicate mail remover to get rid of the duplicate mails, I got thousands of them.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Hey Pieter

What duplicate remover did you purchase?

I have the same duplicate problem

Thanks

Mathew

Friday, October 22, 2010 11:01 PM
  • Try this duplicate remover:

http://www.vaita.com/ODIR.asp

Outlook Duplicate Items Remover from Vaita. Works OK, plus it's free; I'm really reluctant to spend any money dealing with this problem.

This problem (or at least this symptom) is not restricted to Outlook 2010. I have a client with this problem on a Vista machine running Outlook 2007. Problem occurred after I created a new profile and imported a PST that had been created from his OST. Now Outlook is downloading 7000+ messages. Is there any triage that we can perform while waiting for a Microsoft fix?!?

NOTE: He has to retain the messages on the server and I've already tried separate PST files; didn't solve the problem or affect it in any way that i can tell.

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:19 AM
  • No need to purchase. There is a free one here:
    http://www.outlookfreeware.com/en/products/all/OutlookMessagesRemoveDuplicates

Even more: you can mark duplicates with flag and/or category using this free tool:
    http://www.outlookfreeware.com/en/products/all/OutlookMessagesMarkDuplicates

Alexey Kuznetsov,
    Relief Software
    http://www.outlookfreeware.com
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:47 PM
  • I am still experiencing the same problem.

I *DID* find a microsoft support article on this where the article claims that the behavior is "as designed" because they have changed the way mail account data is aggregated.

Old way:  (2007 and earlier) The PST file, and the mail-file download metadata were separate objects.  The file download metadata file kept track of each and every account, regardless of which .PST file was the target.

New Way: (Introduced in 2010)

To "improve the customer experience when migrating mail files from one machine to another" they now store the mail-file download metadata within the associated PST file.

Unfortunately, some clever idiot at M$ had the brilliant idea that *NOBODY* would *EVER* think of associating more than one mail file at a time with a PST file - so what happens is the *LAST* account accessed is the one that mail-file metadata is saved for.

Viz:

Assume three e-mail accounts, "A", "B" and "C".  All have numerous e-mails in them, and all are associated with the same PST, as they have been for the last 10 or so years. . . .

Assume all e-mail accounts are set to "Leave Mail On Server" with no time-limit set.

Assume a good installation of Outlook 2010, PST file(s) all clean as a whistle, correct configuration, and all updates downloaded and applied as of current date.

What happens:

The first time you log in, e-mail from accounts "A", "B" and "C" are all downloaded - and because "C" was the last e-mail account accessed, mail metadata for account "C" is preserved.

Next try, e-mail is downloaded again (assume "C" has no new mail), so *all* messages from both "A" and "B" are downloaded again.  Now, because account "B" was the last one serviced, the account metadata for "B" is preserved, overwriting account "C"'s metadata.

Next try (assume no new mail in both "B" and "C"), account "B" is skipped, but *EVERY STINKIN' E-MAIL* in accounts "A" and "C" are again downloaded.

The result is that it becomes a round-robin re-reading of every possible e-mail on the servers, based on which e-mail account was "Lucky Pierre" and was read last.

Though I appreciate Microsoft's attempt to make things easier by aggregating e-mail metadata in with the PST file, this solution (as it exists right now) is obviously a nightmare.

Due to the massive customer impact: (and I am assuming that for every one poster here, there are several thousand posters who did not bother to comment, or simply told M$ to go 'naff-off, and changed mail clients!). . .

I would elevate this to a Severity - 1 bug, Priority - Critical. (or at the very least "High")

Except that all my mail files (.pst files) are now in 2010 format, I would say EFF THIS!!!   down-rev to 2007.

This user experience is the most abysmal thing I have ever seen come out of Redmond since Win ME/Vista.  It is a royal cluster-***k from the word "GO!" and should have been addressed a long, long time ago.

I did a considerable write up on it at my blog site:

http://qatechtips.blogspot.com/2010/05/more-merrier-outlook-2010-as-e-mail.html

Please, please, please, please fix this?

Or did you folks buy stock in Apple and Red-Hat/Cannonical?

What say ye?

Jim

Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:39 PM
  • p.s.

I read the microsoft tech support article a while ago, and don't have the citation handy.  Otherwise I would have provided it.

Sorry about that.

Jim

Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:42 PM
  • I never post on these boards.  But I have the same problem as described above and it is extremely problematic and absurd.  I am posting because I am so frustrated.  I hope there is a fix soon and I am never buying a new Microsoft product again (until it is out for a few years and all of the bugs are fixed).
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:28 PM
  • I have had the same problem since I installed Office 2010.  What a PAIN.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 3:25 PM
  • I want to add my frustrated voice to the mix. I run Outlook 2007 on several dozen customers' computers, and it works perfectly.
    Outlook 2010 on new computers, mostly running Dell Windows 7 - mix of 32 and 64 bit - hangs several times a day.
    I followed all the great recommendations on various threads. There is no resolution on the web or at MS support.

When it recovers, or if I just close and re-open the program, it re-downloads all available messages.
    Not every time, but at random and often.
    Same bad behavior on EVERY computer with Outlook 2010.

I'm betting that it will finally be fixed the same way MS finally released Windows 7 as the fix for that stinky Vista.
    The fix will be Outlook 2013.

In the meantime, I'm going back to Outlook 2007.
    Outlook 2010 won't get better by itself and MS won't fix something that isn't broken. "It's by design."

Um, yeah. So was the Edsel.

Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Outlook 2010 won't get better by itself and MS won't fix something that isn't broken. "It's by design."

Um, yeah. So was the Edsel.

The Hindenburg flammability issue was "by design" too. Look what it got them.

The Tacoma Narrows bridge was "by design"

Chernobyl was also built according to it's design.

Just because it was built according to the design, doesn't mean that the design isn't fatally flawed.

This needs to be addressed - and it needs to be addressed several months ago.

If I was an absolutely ICE COLD bas**rd, I'd put up a message saying "http://www.ubuntu.com" and mark it as "Proposed Answer"  No kidding!  I am SOOOOOOOO tempted!

Maybe I should propose "http://www.openoffice.org" as the answer?

Microsoft:  If you *REALLY* want to drive people away from your software solutions, let me assure you that you are doing precisely the correct thing.  100% of absolutely spot-on!

Really, the way this is being [not] handled is so asinine, it is almost totally beyond belief.

What say ye?

Jim

• Proposed as answer by Jharris1993 Monday, March 14, 2011 3:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jharris1993 Monday, March 14, 2011 3:23 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 3:20 AM
  • Does anyone know how to back-rev e-mail .pst files from the 2010 format to the 2007 format?  I really want to get off of this sinking ship fast, but I fear trashing my mail files - or screwing up '07 beyond all recognition.

Jim

Monday, March 14, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Just installed Outlook 2010 (used pst file from outlook 2003).

I have 8 email accounts connected to a single pst, all leave a copy on the server.

I get duplicate emails from an email hosted at Go Daddy, I do not get duplicates from an email hosted at Assorted Internet.

Is this a clue?

Oops - It is fixed, My error One account at Go Daddy was also forwarded to another email that was also downloaded!

Dave
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:13 PM
  • +1 for the duplicates in exactly the same scenarios as mentioned above any fix for this yet? Driving me nuts
    Monday, July 11, 2011 9:43 AM
  • +1 for the duplicates in exactly the same scenarios as mentioned above any fix for this yet? Driving me nuts

If it is exactly the same as the scenario above, then removing the forwarder would solve your issue ;-)

While there are quite a lot of "me too" responses in this thread, there aren't a lot who actually post relevant information to move this thread forward and to get a (somewhat reliable) repro.

If you are going to post a "me too", consider to post at least the following information to get some comparable data into this thread to work with (additional information is welcome too of course).

Have you already applied Service Pack 1 for Office 2010?
    Post your exact build number of Outlook;
    File-> Help-> Additional Version and Copyright Information

How many accounts do you have?
    Are these all POP3 accounts or is it a mix of different account types?
    At which ISP are the mail accounts hosted?
    Do all your accounts download to the same Inbox folder or to a separate folder within the same pst-file?
    Do you have a virus scanner which integrates itself with Outlook?
    Which other add-ins do you have installed?
    Can you repro the issue in Outlook Safe Mode?
    Can you repro the issue with a new mail profile and new pst-file?

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:33 AM
  • You want pertinent, precise and detailed info?  How about I send in my laptop so that the MS team, working hard and long on this and not being able to duplicate this problem, can see it first hand.  This is such BS. 

Can someone at MS simply reply with "Yes, we understand what you are seeing as this is the way the program is designed to operate.  Please use it as intended, one account per pst, or if you choose to use it in a way "you" think more efficient, quit your bit**ing".

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:56 PM
  • You want pertinent, precise and detailed info?  How about I send in my laptop so that the MS team, working hard and long on this and not being able to duplicate this problem, can see it first hand.  This is such BS. 

Can someone at MS simply reply with "Yes, we understand what you are seeing as this is the way the program is designed to operate.  Please use it as intended, one account per pst, or if you choose to use it in a way "you" think more efficient, quit your bit**ing".

@lmondragon:

Look at my previous posts - Microsoft has done, in essence, exactly that.

@ Roady:

Since you are a Microsoft MVP, I am sure you have seen the results of other abysmally considered design decisions.

Unless it is specified otherwise, it is proper to assume that the various "Me Too" posters can read, have looked at the previous postings, have tried the various suggestions found there, and have ended up in the same place as the rest of us.  Trying to brush them off with repeated requests for "detailed info" that is very likely to repeat, and re-repeat, that which was posted before is a lame cop-out.

The "It's by design" cop-out is equally lame.  Everyone is human, mistakes get made, and sometimes design decisions that were thought sane during the development planning stages turn out to be awful when in production.  If you doubt this, I would like to suggest that you find, and watch, the Modern Marvels episodes "Engineering Disasters" - there are at least two episodes, by now there may be even more.

These films will graphically demonstrate the serious - and often fatal - consequences of poorly considered "it's by design" decisions.

It is no shame for Microsoft to admit that, yes, like everyone else they made a mistake.  The disgusting shame is for Microsoft to simply brush-off loyal customers and loyal users with such a lame response.

If Microsoft is not going to listen to their user's feedback and make the changes needed - they should just admit that and suggest as a potential solution a hyperlink to Open Office (http://download.openoffice.org/)

What say ye?

Jim

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:28 PM
  • @lmondragon and @ Jharris1993

I'm not trying to brush off anyone here and have in fact spent many hours trying to reproduce this issue and have (multiple times) made the Outlook Team aware of this persistent issue for you. The thing is; it is not by design, it works for most and we are trying to find out why it doesn't work for some.

As it works perfectly fine for all the POP3 accounts that I have, I'm obviously not a good test case which is why I need to find out if there is a common denominator here. Also, since Service Pack 1 has been released and pretty much all of the data in this thread pre-dates that, we need to get some new data in.

So hold your horses, I'm actually trying to make an effort here to reboot this long outstanding issue and either get a solution or a fix for it.

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Right then.... here's some (probabl useless) detailed info.

YES

POP3

JaguarPC (US) and Streamline (UK), plus a yahoo and a googlemail

Do all your accounts download to the same Inbox folder or to a separate folder within the same pst-file?
    all to 1 pst, but rules take them to different folders

YES - Eset

Duplicate Remover - ha

Yes

Yes

I tried to keep it short.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Replied to an earlier post instead of this latest one.. apologies for duplicate

Right then.... here's some (probabl useless) detailed info.

YES

POP3

JaguarPC (US) and Streamline (UK), plus a yahoo and a googlemail

all to 1 pst, but rules take them to different folders

YES - Eset

Duplicate Remover - ha

Yes

Yes

I tried to keep it short.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:40 PM
  • I tried to keep it short.

Thanks! Short is good ;-)

However, if you have SP1 applied, you cannot have that build number. Where did you check for it?
    The correct location is;
    File-> Help-> link on the right; Additional Version and Copyright Information

Between the build number of Outlook and MSO, there should also be a "SP1" indication.

Have you also tried it with Eset uninstalled from your system?

Monday, July 18, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Apparently there is no SP1 installed, I have windows SP1 so for some reason, i just assumed.

Just tried to install office SP1 and i got this "The expected version of this product is not installed on this system"

Monday, July 25, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Apparently there is no SP1 installed, I have windows SP1 so for some reason, i just assumed.

Just tried to install office SP1 and i got this "The expected version of this product is not installed on this system"

Make sure you have selected the correct language and bitness of the SP1; there is a separate one for each language and there is also a 32-bit and a 64-bit version for each. Note that the bitness relates to Office and not to Windows. The bitness of Office 2010 can also be determined in Outlook via File-> Help (next to the version number).

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Well I'm running 32bit office on 64bit windows english, which im sure is what i downloaded....

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:03 PM
  • Well I'm running 32bit office on 64bit windows english, which im sure is what i downloaded....

That's quite odd. To verify, the name of the standalone installer for the 32-bit English version is;
    officesuite2010sp1-kb2460049-x86-fullfile-en-us.exe

Or else; Is Service Pack 1 also offered via Windows Update for you? If so, does it install then?

Otherwise, you could have an installation issue. Uninstall Office 2010 completely and then install it again directly followed by the Service Pack. No settings or data will be lost in this process, but it never hurts to start with a good backup of course.
    See; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:59 PM
  • That's exactly what i downloaded.  i also tried via win update, doesnt even offer me Office SP1.  Tried an uninstall and reinstall.  same problem.

• Proposed as answer by Lmondragon Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lmondragon Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:19 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:22 PM
  • To all concerned,

I went back through my account settings one more time to see what I could see.  Lo and behold, there is one account whose user information contained my email address, which is one of the accounts built under this profile and using the same pst file.  It is my understanding, and everyone correct if I'm wrong, that the name and address under User Information is merely supposed to be displayed to recipients of mail sent using this account. 

What I have discovered, and this may not apply to all of us getting the dreaded duplicates, is that in fact Outlook is somehow using this address to determine which account to get incoming mail from and ignoring the Logon Information at the bottom of the settings page. 

As soon as I changed, what I believe to merely be the reply email address, guess what! NO MORE DUPLICATES. 

This is certainly not the way I thought the program should behave, but obviously it is. 

To recap, even though the Server Information and Logon Information sections of the account E-mail Settings page were correct and distinct for every other account, the fact that I reused an email address, for what I believed was merely the reply address for the account, caused the problem.

Hope this helps someone.

• Proposed as answer by Lmondragon Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:50 PM
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:49 PM
  • Hi Lmondragon

Thanks for your post. I too checked the settings and had the same issue as you, I had two email accounts into one pst. The second email account had the first email accounts email address under the user profile. Changed it to the match the account and the problem has gone!

I cant believe it - i have been living with multiple emails in my indox for months.

I hope this works out for everyone else with the annoying problem.

To confirm make sure the user profile email address is the same as the accounts email address.

Cool

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:43 PM
  • I have one yahoo POP3 account that I leave messages on server connected to a single PST from Outlook 2003.  I have tried MANY theories on how to migrate to Outlook 2010 and many hours later, after watching the whole mailbox download for the 4th time, I am about ready to rollback to Outlook 2007 or 2003 where this was easy to do.  I am running the latest Win7 32 bit with SP1 and downloaded all updates for Office 2010.  I work in IT - this is amazing how difficult Microsoft has made this - god help the people who don't have an IT background...Looking for any ideas before I do the rollback.
    Friday, September 09, 2011 11:36 PM
  • To all concerned,

I went back through my account settings one more time to see what I could see.  Lo and behold, there is one account whose user information contained my email address, which is one of the accounts built under this profile and using the same pst file.  It is my understanding, and everyone correct if I'm wrong, that the name and address under User Information is merely supposed to be displayed to recipients of mail sent using this account. 

What I have discovered, and this may not apply to all of us getting the dreaded duplicates, is that in fact Outlook is somehow using this address to determine which account to get incoming mail from and ignoring the Logon Information at the bottom of the settings page. 

As soon as I changed, what I believe to merely be the reply email address, guess what! NO MORE DUPLICATES. 

This is certainly not the way I thought the program should behave, but obviously it is. 

To recap, even though the Server Information and Logon Information sections of the account E-mail Settings page were correct and distinct for every other account, the fact that I reused an email address, for what I believed was merely the reply address for the account, caused the problem.

Hope this helps someone.

Can you kindly explain this in further detail so, as I can't understand precisely what you mean.

thanks

Thursday, October 06, 2011 12:14 PM
  • I still have duplicates across pretty much all my email accounts, none of the propsed solutions or advice above has helped... is there any further reading / help on this?
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:31 AM
  • I have a similar problem.  My customer had a drive fail on a Vista machine.  He was using Outlook 2010 on the Vista with no problems.  I moved the files to the new Windows 7 and installed Outlook 2010.

Set the account.  It appeared to be working.  The next day, he complains of duplicate e-mails.

Have you already applied Service Pack 1 for Office 2010?  I applied SP1 for Outlook 2010

Post your exact build number of Outlook;  I did not note the exact version after the update.

File-> Help-> Additional Version and Copyright Information  Windows 7 is 64-bit with all current updates.  Outlook is 32-bit.

How many accounts do you have? One

Are these all POP3 accounts or is it a mix of different account types? One

At which ISP are the mail accounts hosted?  Bellsouth.net, using U-verse

Do all your accounts download to the same Inbox folder or to a separate folder within the same pst-file?  I tried setting up a new blank pst file.  The problem persists as long as the message is still on the server.

Do you have a virus scanner which integrates itself with Outlook?  Uses AVG.  I have turned off the scan for emails.  The problem remains the same.

Which other add-ins do you have installed? I have added no add-ins

Can you repro the issue in Outlook Safe Mode?  Did not try this.

Can you repro the issue with a new mail profile and new pst-file?  Yes.  I have tried both.  The problem remains.

Monday, October 24, 2011 2:30 PM
  • I have same problem on 2 machines:  windows xp 32bit operating system and office 2010 and windows7 64bit with office 2010, outlook duplicate emails over and over when is checked leave message on server, there are 4 accounts, I tried all operations that I found  on the web ( scanpst, new pst, reinstalled office, update from microsoft, and more ) i'm frustrated because all older version of outlook work fine and now I buyed new version and does not work. Microsoft is not able to solve ours problem and I think that I will not buy microsoft product again !!!
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Thank you very much!.....So far this fix seems to work!.....All I did was change to the reply address to the account reply and not my main account email.  Personally, I LIKE to use the SAME REPLY to keep the email account consistent.  Microsoft definitely needs to fix this!
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:03 AM
  • To all concerned,

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for this. I had only one account with this duplicate mail problem, but this was a catchall and like Lmondragon I thought that "Email Address" ONLY changed the way reponses to emails received under this account were identified to the recipient. However it does seem to also effect this duplicate mail issue as well. To be specific changing "Email Address" to match the "User Name" seems to have made this issue go away.

Although now "fixed" I find this annoying as I much prefer reponses made to mail received by this account to identify my correct mail address, not the catchall. And yes I do know (and have set) the "Reply to" address in "More Settings" but this does not change the way the mail identifies itself to the receipient.

A side issue which may interest some is that it seems to have also solved another issue I was having, namely mail being delivered to my "Junk Email" folder, even though I have Junk Mail options  set to "No Automatic Filtering". It seems that there at least a couple of behaviours here that were unintended and which need to be addressed by Microsoft.

For the record I am running Outlook 2010 SP1 32bit (Version 14.0.6112.5000) on Windows 7 Ulimate SP1 64bit. I have just 3 accounts (all Pop) going into the same folder (and the only effected one was the catchall where the "Email Adress" did not match the login. I do have an intergated virus scanner (ZoneAlarm) and the email provider on all three accounts is the same (Easyspace). Oh, and all three accounts are set to keep the mail on the server for 2 days.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:35 AM
  • I'm coming into this discussion very late.  Just want to confirm that this problem is still occuring.  I think it only occured AFTER I patched Office 2010 to the latest updates, but I'm not sure of this as I have only been using Outlook 2010 for a few days.  lmondragon's work-around DID work for me too, so that definitely appears to be the problem for me too.  I too would prefer to be able to keep the email address the same on both accounts if that can be made possible in a future fix. 

FWIW, in my case, the reason for having the same email address on two separate accounts, is that my work place uses exchange, but all external emails are hosted by an external ISP and both use the same domain name.  So I need to have one account to download mail via POP from exchange (for mails sent internally on the work LAN) and another to download from the ISP.  In both cases, the sender is SENDing the email to the same email address.  But I realise that setup is a separate issue.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Want all to know that this problem is not unique to Outlook 2010, I am having it with Outlook 2003!

I have been using Outlook 2003 for 7ish years and it has worked beautifully.  I have one email address, one account - pretty simple. I had to reformat my computer about 4 months ago and when I re-installed Outlook, I NOT ONLY GOT DUPLICATES every time I logged on, but it never finished receiving all my messages: It started "receiving message 1 of 8509" and worked for awhile, but then it either just stoped receiving, or restarted back at 1 when it got to around message 600-1000 (it's different everytime).  If it stopped, I would select "send/receive" again, it started "receiving message 1 of 8509" all over again!  The closest I have ever gotten to my current emails is Sept. 2011.

Gave up and just logged online to look at emails. THEN: I have to reformat again about 10 days ago: same problem.

THEN: I got a NEW CPU (for other reasons, not this one) and now, upon the first install of Microsoft Office 2003 on a brand new computer - I am having the same problem!!  I have deleted the email account and set it back up no less than 4 times.  I have spent over 2 hours with Yahoo customer support.  It can't be computer related since I have the same problem on two different computers.

For the last 4ish months, I can't even use Outlook for email because it never downloads the current emails.  I have to go online to look at them. PAIN!  I am trying the following from Sally Tang:

1.    ExitOutlook.

2. Go toStart > Control Panel, click or double-clickMail.

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locateMail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in theSearch box at the top of window, type Mail. InControl Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in theAddress box.

Note    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.

3.    ClickShow Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.    ClickAdd.

5.    Type a name for the profile, and then clickOK. Please also follow the onscreen instructions to create the email account in this profile.

6.    StartOutlook, and choose this new profile.

Right now Outlook is now "receiving message 1480 of 8509". Probably the farthest it has gone on the "receiving" status. I'll have to see how this goes..... *sigh*.... it got to 2541 and then there was a "send/receive error".  When I hit the "send/receive" button again to finish it up: "Receiving message 1 of 8510" (there is now an extra one because I did a "test" email when I set up the accout and that did come through before the download started)

Just wanted you all to know that Outlook 2003 is giving me greif too, and this is after I had been using it for years and years and years!

• Edited by Nkimzey Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:56 PM
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:25 PM
  • I had same issue and i solved problem 2 days ago. I just run under c:\programfiles\microsoftOffice\Office14\Scanpst.exe. I scanned PST files ( some PST files have different location) from ;

1 - c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst or different filename

2 - c:\DocumentsandSetting\Outlook\Outlook.pst.

I finished scan and opened Outlook 2010 run test message and YAAAYYYYY everthing back to normal.

Friday, July 20, 2012 4:42 AM
  • I had same issue and i solved problem 2 days ago. I just run under c:\programfiles\microsoftOffice\Office14\Scanpst.exe. I scanned PST files ( some PST files have different location) from ;

1 - c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst or different filename

2 - c:\DocumentsandSetting\Outlook\Outlook.pst.

I finished scan and opened Outlook 2010 run test message and YAAAYYYYY everthing back to normal

Friday, July 20, 2012 4:43 AM
  • I just tried what you said, and it did not work. Have you had that problem since?
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 1:15 AM