none
Performed system Restore and lost outlook contacts and folders + files on my desktop!!

Question

• Please help!! I've found this topic in one form or another online and every answer provided hasn't worked for me:

(Please forgive me if I seem ignorant of how these computers work...cause I am)

-I've tried going to documents & settings and checking under different user names to see if maybe my .pst file would be under a new user that windows created when I did a system restore. (I've read it does such things)

-I've tried using the search tool looking for .pst files through every drive available in the search options to no avail

-I've tried making all hidden files viewable as I've read this fixed it for someone else...uggghh! I suppose someone will say you should of backed up and I'll just acknowledge that you are so very right here and now so we don't have to later. Any help or advise or troubleshooting assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:06 PM

All replies

• What kind of system restore did you do? Because there are different kinds of "restore".
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Good question? I'm pretty sure I "restored my computer to an earlier time". I was having some major issues with my computer performance. One thing I neglected to mention that is coming to memory is that before I did the restore I deleted an "unknown user" becasue I swear I was being hacked by this back-door bot that kept get caught by my malwarebytes and I thought that maybe this unknown user was creating the problems...after I deleted that everything on my desktop was gone and then I did the system restore. So I guess this question is morphing into; could deleting that "unknown user account" be causing my troubles and if so is there any recovery options to those files within that deleted user?!?

• Edited by Abeman88 Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:31 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:20 PM
  • So I guess nothing...???
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Anyone?!??...

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Hi Abeman,

as you describe it, the files seem to have been deleted with the deleted user's profile. You might be able to restore them with an undelete utility. In short, my suggestion for you is to stop using the drive immediately and get professional assistance - if the lost data is worth it to you, of course. The longer you keep working with the drive, the higher chances are that deleted data is physically overwritten.

Also, after all recovery efforts are done, due to the suspected malware, do a clean reinstall of you system.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:31 AM