none
Does Office 365 Online version supports VBA(visual basic for applications)? RRS feed

• Question

• 1) I was trying to open VBA based Excel (.xlsm file) in online Office 365, but I could not. It was showing warnings like -

There are some features in your workbook that we can't show in the browser - 

a) Compatibility Report

We can't show these features in the browser:  • Objects like form toolbar controls, toolbox controls, and ActiveX controls

But you can see all the content in this workbook by opening the file in Excel.

b)  Links Disabled - Links to external workbooks are not supported and are disabled.

2)  If it does not support VBA then how we can run Macros/automation/VBA Code in Office 365?

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Milind,

>>1) I was trying to open VBA based Excel (.xlsm file) in online Office 365, but I could not.<<

Yes. you can't work with macros in Excel Online. But you can open a workbook that contains macros—you just won't see them. In Excel Online, you can make changes to its worksheets and save the workbook, and the macros will still be there to work with when you open it in the Excel desktop application.

>>2)  If it does not support VBA then how we can run Macros/automation/VBA Code in Office 365?<<

If you have the Excel desktop application, you can use it to work with macros. In Excel Online page, click Open in Excel:

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:05 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates on the issue? Please feel free to post back if you need further help.

If my reply is helpful, would you mind to mark it as answer to close the thread? It would help others who read this thread.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 5:03 AM
  • Hi,

Not sure I have a clear picture of how O365 and the desktop app are intended to work from the hands of MS.

My understanding is that complex Excel workbooks requiring automation, macros, forms etc. can be developed in one of two ways:

1. Desktop application (residing on device) - possible to use VBA

2. O365 (web/cloud) - not possible to use VBA, use Excel javascript API + ...??

What is the vision for O365 users that have a lot of old workbooks containing a lot of complex VBA code that needs to be modified from time to time. How is this envisioned to be bridged??

Thanks in advance and best regards,

RD

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

I am also very intrested at the answer to question no. 2.

Regards,

MR

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:29 PM
  • Good Morning,

I am very interested in a response to this question as well.

Thanks,

WUQ

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:38 PM
  • Me too !

When will it be possible to use VBA on Excel online ?

• Proposed as answer by Markus Krug Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Markus Krug Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:45 PM
  • probably never. VBA uses the .Net runtime and its not possible to call outside of a browser.. the only chance would be if microsoft ported the .Net runtime to webassembly(they have actually done this as a test). Then it would be possible for VBA to run in the browser.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 11:45 AM