none
Lync contact showing wrong name after new email address was added to the his exchange account...

Question

• Hi all,
    We are having a problem with Lync client and the address book.
    When an employee leaves the company, his the lync account as well as his exchange and AD accounts are deleted. Then, to avoid losing important incoming mails, his email address is added to another employee as a secondary smtp address.
    We are having several cases where when this is done, other users see his Lync contact with the name of the old employee.
    Example: in this case, Flavio is an actual employee and his exchange account has a secondary smtp address from the former employee Diego.

When we look for his name up in lync his picture and contact is shown but with Diego's, name.

The only way to solve this (and in some cases this couldn't be solved) was to delete the address book from the users who sees the incorrect name.

Any idea on how can we solve this centrally?

regards,
    Julián

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:52 PM

Answers

• I think I have fixed this on the server-side. What I essentially have done is configured the Lync Address Book Service to not query proxyAddresses email attributes. There are 2 ways to accomplish this:

1. If you have the UPDATED version of ABSConfig from KB2621857 then you can configure the proxyAddresses attribute to "ProxyAddresses - Tel Only Filter" within ABSConfig. Do NOT do this with the RTM version of the Resource Kit.

2. You can update this attribute with SQL. Run this on the Pool BACK-END database:

-----------------------------------

use rtc;

DELETE from [rtc].[dbo].[AbAttribute]
    WHERE [rtc].[dbo].[AbAttribute].[Id] = 19

exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 19, N'proxyAddresses', 0x00500107

Keep in mind that this will make searches on secondary email addresses not work, which shouldn't be a big deal for most deployments. I am still in the process of testing this solution so apply this SQL script at your own risk. You can always restore the default Address Book Configuration if it doesn't work out. 

http://waveformation.com/2011/02/11/restore-lync-abs-default-configuration/

• Edited by Jamie Schwinn Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kent HX Friday, March 23, 2012 1:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by JulianFS Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:51 PM

All replies

• I've been working on this issue as well and I am close to a server-side fix. This is caused by the Address Book Service picking up extra email addresses from the proxyAddresses AD attribute which is used by Exchange to store SMTP, EUM, and SIP addresses. Lync then matches the secondary email address to a contact card in the user's Outlook contacts and incorrectly merges data from the contact card with the Lync Address Book. The client-side fix is to delete the Outlook contact of the person who left the company. The server-side fix will involve some customization of the Lync Address Book Service which can be tricky, I will post back when I have more info.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:59 PM
  • I think I have fixed this on the server-side. What I essentially have done is configured the Lync Address Book Service to not query proxyAddresses email attributes. There are 2 ways to accomplish this:

1. If you have the UPDATED version of ABSConfig from KB2621857 then you can configure the proxyAddresses attribute to "ProxyAddresses - Tel Only Filter" within ABSConfig. Do NOT do this with the RTM version of the Resource Kit.

2. You can update this attribute with SQL. Run this on the Pool BACK-END database:

use rtc;

DELETE from [rtc].[dbo].[AbAttribute]
    WHERE [rtc].[dbo].[AbAttribute].[Id] = 19

exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 19, N'proxyAddresses', 0x00500107

Keep in mind that this will make searches on secondary email addresses not work, which shouldn't be a big deal for most deployments. I am still in the process of testing this solution so apply this SQL script at your own risk. You can always restore the default Address Book Configuration if it doesn't work out. 

http://waveformation.com/2011/02/11/restore-lync-abs-default-configuration/

• Edited by Jamie Schwinn Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kent HX Friday, March 23, 2012 1:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by JulianFS Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Thanks Jamie,

I've made the modification. In a couple of days I may be able to confirm if it fixed the problem.

Thanks again!!

Regards,

Julián

Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:26 PM
  • It worked! thank you so much!

Regards,

Julián

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Tuesday, April 03, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Thanks Jamie.  One of the users here was reporting this exact problem.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Hi Jamie,

I am also getting same issue. But I am getting this issue in SharePoint online/Office 365. Since I don't have server to fix this in server side, how can i fix this? 

Any idea?

Regards,

Razesh

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:14 PM
  • There is a a more simple less technical way to fix it as well that has worked for me in every case. What I have found is Lync takes your local Outlook contacts information as the master over your GAL (not sure why). In each case this issue happened I checked the persons local Oulook contacts and found the ex-employee contact and email info listed in there. I delete that ex-employee contact and then also added the current contact information of the person the ex-employee email address was alaised to and the problem is resolved in no time flat and has never returned.

Good Luck

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Hi

Thank you for your Inputs,Jamie Schwinn .I have done the server level settings .In my company the issue reports  not very often.So ,Is there any option to check whether the issue is resolved or not .Or do I need to wait for another issue to be reported

-Sachin

Friday, July 04, 2014 7:13 AM