none
Sharepoint Foundation 2013 - How to display more "views" above a custom list. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

Thank you for your previous help, I have another problem I have encountered, I have corrected a new "test" views for what my managers may wish to look at which uses a filter to show only "archive (No Further Action" etc etc and "all Items" to restore back to the default view.

What I want to do is have all the views show across the top, as it currently only shows 3 views and the others in the "..." drop down menu (Shown in the image below).

If I cant have them all listed across the top, can I change the order of them? I wish to have All Items - Progress (Business Accepted) - Enquiry (Costs).

Thank you in advanced.

Monday, October 21, 2013 12:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jamie,

It sounds like you to setup a view available only for the managers. The only way I know how to add the custom views is to set them up one-by-one for each manager when they have logged in.

You can create a Public view but that is available for everyone who has access to that list.

Daniel Christian (MCTS)

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:26 PM
  • @JamieBarton,

If you want to change the order of the views that may not be possible from OOB.

But there is way using SQL query mentioned in the below thread

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/32063/how-to-sort-change-view-list-drop-down 

P.S. Microsoft does not support the changes to be made to SQL server

The powershell solution mentioned in the above article causing the issue to the quick launch if it has customized.

My Blog- http://www.sharepoint-journey.com| Twitter
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful

• Marked as answer by JamieBarton Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:18 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:33 AM
  • Hi Dev,

Did you find any solution to show all view.

Please suggest me to show all views above the list.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:09 AM
  • Is there no way to change the default from 3 to more views? I would like to have 5 or 10 listed at the top. Is it not configurable? that's short sighted.
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:01 PM
  • I agree with the previous post.  There should be a way to change the default from 3 to more views.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:26 AM
  • We need to show more. Our screen are all wide now. Only 3 is crippling.
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 5:55 PM
  • Did you find a solution yet? 
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:18 PM
  • You probably need custom javascript to achieve this, e.g. with JSLink you can do bunch of customization

http://www.sharepointnutsandbolts.com/2013/01/using-jslink-to-change-ui-of-sharepoint_20.html

Monday, September 15, 2014 9:38 AM
  • I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a solution for this other than using custom javascript. My problem is a couple of libraries where the list view menu is only showing ONE view, the other two views have to be picked from the drop down list under the ellipses. On other sites using the same templates, it is all working fine, but for the two libraries affected there appears no way to reset them to show three views across the top.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:32 AM
  • You must be a Site Designer or Site Administrator to accomplish the following:

1. On the upper right corner, left click on the gear and select edit page.

2. In the main body of your page, left click on Add a Web Part.

3. In the new area appearing below the ribbon, select Media and Content from the Categories section; then select Script Editor from the Parts section.

4. Click on the Add button (or hit <Enter> on your keyboard)

5. Click inside the EDIT SNIPPET box and copy & paste the javascript listed here:

<script type="text/javascript">
    ExecuteOrDelayUntilScriptLoaded(overrideSurfacePivotCount, 'clienttemplates.js');

function overrideSurfacePivotCount() {
       ClientPivotControl.prototype.SurfacedPivotCount = 4;
    };
    </script>

6.  Change the "4" to the desired number of views you would like to see. (Note:  I do NOT know if there is an upper limit to the number you can display....or if the number of views will 'wrap' to a second line of available choices.  Anyone out there implementing this trick will hopefully provide that feedback)

7.  Click on the Insert button.  (NOTHING will appear to have changed until you complete step 8)

8.  On the ribbon - Click on the PAGE tab and then click on Stop Editing .

You should now see the number of Views that you indicated in the Script Editor snippet.

Thanks to all the other bloggers who helped me resolve this identical problem.  Hope this helps all the rest of you.

• Proposed as answer by Mare W Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:38 PM
    • Edited by Mare W Friday, May 1, 2015 1:01 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:29 PM
  • This works perfect. I was able to add 10 views with no issues so far.

Thanks mareW for the thorough directions! Perfect instructions.

now if only i could remember which department actually asked for this in the first place as it was over a year ago.

EDIT: One thing i noticed now, I have to add teh code snippit to every single view. Otherwise when you click on a new view, it still displays 3 items. Means more work but then its fixed unless people want to add more views, and i cant see it working for peoples personal views as they wouldnt be able to edit code. Just a caveat i noticed.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 5:41 PM
  • Mare, this worked perfect. Once I made this update, my views are in alphabetical order, but that is not the order I need. Is there also a way to set the order the views appear, without having to do something like 1, 2, 3 or A, B, C?
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 2:28 PM
  • You must be a Site Designer or Site Administrator to accomplish the following:

1. On the upper right corner, left click on the gear and select edit page.

2. In the main body of your page, left click on Add a Web Part.

3. In the new area appearing below the ribbon, select Media and Content from the Categories section; then select Script Editor from the Parts section.

4. Click on the Add button (or hit <Enter> on your keyboard)

5. Click inside the EDIT SNIPPET box and copy & paste the javascript listed here:

<script type="text/javascript">
    ExecuteOrDelayUntilScriptLoaded(overrideSurfacePivotCount, 'clienttemplates.js');

function overrideSurfacePivotCount() {
       ClientPivotControl.prototype.SurfacedPivotCount = 4;
    };
    </script>

6.  Change the "4" to the desired number of views you would like to see. (Note:  I do NOT know if there is an upper limit to the number you can display....or if the number of views will 'wrap' to a second line of available choices.  Anyone out there implementing this trick will hopefully provide that feedback)

7.  Click on the Insert button.  (NOTHING will appear to have changed until you complete step 8)

8.  On the ribbon - Click on the PAGE tab and then click on Stop Editing .

You should now see the number of Views that you indicated in the Script Editor snippet.

Thanks to all the other bloggers who helped me resolve this identical problem.  Hope this helps all the rest of you.

This is the best way to display multiple views, however you will need to add the snippet to each of the views to display all others.

So you will need to add it your "Progress" view and the "Enquiry" view etc, to display all others.

@JamieBarton

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:36 AM
  • Just want to say a big thanks for your efforts on this. This helped me out hugely. 

regards, 

Jonny. 

Saturday, February 6, 2016 11:38 PM
  • Did anyone ever find a way to also put them in a specific order? Now seems to be Alpha, but I need them in a different order.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:47 PM