none
Problems starting Office Sharepoint Server Search

Question

• Hi,

I have a restored MOSS2007 instance (all running on one box) with a single SSP, when I try to start the search service I get the following error:

"An unhandled exception occurred in the user interface.Exception Information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

With the following present in Event Viewer:

Application synchronization failed for Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchService.

Reason: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Techinal Support Details:
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Deployment.BringUpgradedSearchDbOnlineIf(SharedDatabase searchDatabase)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchSharedApplication.SynchronizeDatabase()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchSharedApplication.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SharedResourceProvider.SynchronizeApplications(SharedComponentSecurity sharedApplicationSecurity)

Which suggested the NullReference is the search database..... So when I checked the SSP properties page in Central Admin, there is no search database specified, but I can type one in, yay!

Unfortunately, because the search service isn't running there are no Index Servers available in the drop down and I cannot click OK to submit the form. I get the message:

This page contains one or more errors. Fix the following before continuing:
    • No indexers
    Is there a way to specify the Search Database other than using by using Central Admin? I can't find any such command for stsadm.exe.

I hope someone can help

Joe
    Monday, April 07, 2008 2:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• We get the same error when upgrading WSS3.0 sp1 to SearchServer 2008express. We get to the same page but cannot figure out how to specify the indexer.

This is a very frustrating problem as we have followed KB 297193 to the letter and still receive this error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Bonnie

Monday, April 07, 2008 7:27 PM
  • Any luck with this error?

I have also got the same error when I backed up and restored my MOSS databases to a different database server.

Is there a way to delete the content and get it re-created? This would be better than not being able to move forward at all.

Thanks

Steven

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:02 AM
  • Same here...  Found many people having the same issue but nobody with a solution...
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

We have the same issue over here,

After a restore process, The SSP Search DB is not Being restored,

What We tried was restoring it manually and trying to connect the SSP back to the DB.

the error that we are getting after Choosing an index server and connecting to the DB is attached as follows:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Office SharePoint Server
    Event Category: Office Server Shared Services
    Event ID: 6483
    Date:  07/08/2008
    Time:  05:37:58
    User:  N/A
    Computer: XXXXXXXXX
    Description:
    Application synchronization failed for Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchService.

Reason: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Techinal Support Details:
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Deployment.BringUpgradedSearchDbOnlineIf(SharedDatabase searchDatabase)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchSharedApplication.SynchronizeDatabase()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchSharedApplication.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SharedResourceProvider.SynchronizeApplications(SharedComponentSecurity sharedApplicationSecurity)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Any Ideas?

Igal Bakal
    System Integrator
    http://www.ewave.co.il

Thursday, August 07, 2008 3:54 AM
  • it seem you have huge search db . Out of the box sharepoint does not support search db restoration but i think there is a work around .

It would be best to recreate a new search database . Unless the crawl content is huge.
    Sharepoint admin
    Friday, August 08, 2008 4:10 PM
  • have you tried to restart the office sharepoint search server and windows sharepoint search service?

Monday, August 18, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Have you found a solution to this???  I am having the same issue after moving SharePoint to a new server.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:39 PM
  • We have the same problem.
    Tried to create new SSP and launch search over it, but it didn't help.

BR. Dmitry.
    Dmitry Rudko
    Friday, September 26, 2008 3:01 PM
  • Ok so this is ____.. Same issue as everyone here.. Full farm backup, restore to new server everything works fine except this..

Try to do the infrastructure updates and they fail....   How are we supposed to test the updates if we can't get a test server working.... I hope they fix this in the next release or come up with a better solution to backup and restore (ie no support for host headers)
    Friday, October 03, 2008 1:30 AM
  • If i understand this problem correctly, then you are having a problem getting MOSS search to work?

Before MOSS can start to crawl an index, you need to start the Office SharePoint Server Search Service on the server that run's the Index Server.

Central Admin > Operations > Services

or Stsadm -o spsearch

Daniel Bugday™ Web: © SharePoint Forum Blog: Daniel Bugday's Blog
    Saturday, October 04, 2008 1:34 PM
  • I have the same problem after running hotfixes (941274 and 941422). Microsoft advised me to a complete backup, but that isn't an option. Please help
    Monday, October 06, 2008 8:52 AM
  • I'm having the same issue as stated above on a new MOSS installation, and when I tried stsadm -o spsearch it said: Operation completed successfully. However, I can't see the Office Sharepoint Server Search Service on the server. The only one I found was "Windows Sharepoint Services Search" but this one was disabled.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:34 PM
  • Tplive,

you probably choosed "Web-Front End" server and not "Complete" when you installed SharePoint.

You need to add another server to the farm (with the complete option) or change the Web-Front end to a complete.

Daniel Bugday™ Web: © SharePoint Forum Blog: Daniel Bugday's Blog
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 11:44 AM
  • Daniel,

Thanks for your response! My install is a lab/demo VM. I did have a complete WSS 3.0 install which I upgraded to MOSS 2007, but I can't remember if I got the choice between WFE or Complete during the upgrade..?
    I can revert to an earlier snapshot of the VM to check, but I'd really like to learn something from this.. ;-)

Monday, October 13, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Well, impatience got the better of me, and so I reverted my VM to a point before MOSS install... :)
    I re-ran the MOSS install wizard, and even though I still can't remember if I did choose the WFE Only install, I have now gone with the Complete install, so we shall see what it brings once the wizard is done..

[Edit:] Sure enough, once I chose the correct option during the upgrade, all the options for farm services were available.. Thanks for your pointers, it saved me a lot of time, and DID teach me a lesson.. ;-)
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:15 PM
  • Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

Same problem here: Did a full farm backup and rebuilt the server, then a full farm restore and the SSP did not come back and the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".  Neither was it possible to start the "Office Sharepoint Server Search" service as the same error would occur.

The solution in general was to get the Office Sharepoint Server Search service running,  create a new SSP, set the new SSP to the default SSP, and then delete the old SSP. 

The trick to getting the Office Sharepoint Server Search service running again was to select the "start" and then check off that only Indexing is to be started.  Filling in the required data allows part of the service to start, then go back and restart and set the both check boxes.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:40 AM
  • Hi Guys,

What I found, If you are restoring a farm to a new machine and facing issue of

" An unhandled exception occurred in the user interface.Exception Information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object "

Do the following steps:

1. first make sure ssp is also restored.
    2. make sure windows share point search services are started , with the database and all required info.
    3. Go and click on start for share point search services now on next parameter page for the search service do one thing,

uncheck the first check box which show "
     "
    and keep checked the next " 
    "

4. provide user id and password but make sure the user should be member of (the WSS_ADMIN_WPG Windows security group).
    5. rest of parameter you leav them default.
    6. Press ok and here your service is started.

Thanks.

Shahab| System Administrator | SOZAGROUP UAE
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:48 AM
  • Go to the services under administartion tools . go to the Office SharePoint Server Search change the LOG ON under the search service account.  do same thing to Windows SharePoint Services Search chnage it to search account from local service.
    Thanks

Aniket
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:23 PM