none
How do Documents Center and Records Center alleviate list view threshold? RRS feed

• Question

• It is found that Documents Center/Records Center templates being listed as one of several methods to circumvent the list view threshold restriction in SharePoint(SQL truly).

I also understand now that if a single list vie is used in Documents Center/Records Center, the threshold (5000 by default) still applies.

Question - How do Document/Records center solve the issue then if the restriction still there? Is it because these template offer a "searching/querying" interface vs. "browsing/traversing" interface? If that is the case, in essence, if a regular document library is used, as long as it is not showing the list view but have user search for it, would it achieve the same result then?

I was under the impression that doc/rec center stores more documents than normal documents? If so, is that the only true advantage using doc/rec center vs. regular doc lib as far as solving the threshold issue goes?

(ver. 2013)

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 5:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You should pay attention that this concept(list view threshold) does not apply for Document Center.
    The threshold limit is apply for all lists/libraries in your farm, as a result it will apply for the libraries in any site(including Document Center). 

We use a Documents/Records Center to serve as a centralized repository for managing many documents, because it is safer and more convenient than a team site(Contents in the Records Center cannot be changed or overwritten). Not because it can overcome the 5000 threshold(Many people have misunderstood this point).

Documents/Records Center template is optimized for large-scale document management. It can save time and help you be more efficient. Key features such as document versions, document IDs, document sets, metadata navigation, and content types are built in to the template for you. That is the reason why we perfer using a Document center to manage documents! Below article has detailed information about the advantages of Document Center(I have given you this article in my above reply, that is the real reason for using Document Center):

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-a-document-center-site-06096070-d83f-45b8-b02d-ec7a4cf85cac

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by PCHS007 Monday, April 9, 2018 2:34 PM
    Monday, April 2, 2018 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Here you go

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc262787%28Office.14%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/manage-large-lists-and-libraries-in-sharepoint-b8588dae-9387-48c2-9248-c24122f07c59?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

ontent database size (document archive scenario)

No explicit content database limit

Supported

Content databases with no explicit size limit for use in document archive scenarios are supported when the following requirements are met:

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

Documents Center can be a site collection or a sub site. Document library is just a library. A Documents Center can have lots of libraries.

According to Microsoft, the library can hold up to 30,000,000 documents. We can change the threshold in Central Administration, it is applied to the entire web app. Go to: Central Admin > Manage Web Applications > select your web app (probably "SharePoint - 80") > click the General Settings drop-down > Resource Throttling.

The issue is not necessarily with storing, but rather with displaying the information. The SharePoint 5000 item limit threshold applies to the limit of items that are displayed in a given view. Every time you access a document library, there is a search query happening behind the scenes that returns all the results. If you say have 20,000 files in a document library and all of them stored in a single folder or at the root of the library, when you try to display that folder or library root – you won’t be able to see more that 5000 items on a page/view and the library will run into the 5000 item limit threshold. Item is not just a file (document). Folder also counts towards the 5000 items limit.

Refer to below article for more information about the list view threshold:

https://sharepointmaven.com/how-to-overcome-sharepoint-5000-item-limit-threshold/  

SharePoint provides users to store and manage records/documents by the Records/Documents Center. We can create a new site to manage records in Central Administrator > Create Site Collection. And choose “Records/Documents Center” as template. Records Center is the place where users can store records safely such as legal or financial documents. Contents in the Records Center cannot be changed or overwritten.

It is recommended to store records/documents in a separate site collection and provide very tight governance, security and control around that particular site. There are some built-in features in Records/Documents Center that can help users manage records/documents more effectively. For example, versioning, auditing, metadata management, eDiscovery, and customizable record routing.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going? 

If you think my suggestion is helpful, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards,

Allen Bai 

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 8:31 AM
  • Hi Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful in explaining why is doc center/rec center different from a document library - they can be sites/site collections that contain more libraries. However, may I get a confirmation that, according to your statement  -"The SharePoint 5000 item limit threshold applies to the limit of items that are displayed in a given view", that the reason doc center/rec center can get away with the threshold limit is because it does not have a "VIEW"? but rather, it utilize a search box for user to retrieve information?

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

No, I think you are misunderstanding the concept.

The threshold limit is just work in list/library, not for a site/site collection. Doc/Record Center is a site, a site can have lots of libraries. 

You can read below article for more information about "what is a document center site":

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-a-Document-Center-site-06096070-d83f-45b8-b02d-ec7a4cf85cac

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 2:53 AM
  • Thanks for the reply and help, but sorry but I'm still not getting the answer I want. If the main reason for documents center to be the solution just because it is a "site" and it can contain lots of libraries, so does any regular SharePoint site? Sorry but I'm just not seeing how does documents center shines over any regular site as one of the solution to the threshold issue?
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

Difference between team site and document center: team site for smaller teams to share their documents, document center for managing all documents in the whole farm.

Documents Center: Basically is like your File Server. This is a centralized location for information. Just a big bank with Lots of docs in it.  

A SharePoint team site connects you and your team to the content, information, and apps you rely on every day.

A regular SharePoint site can have lots of libraries and the list view threshold will apply to each library in it. Any site do not have this limit (including team site and document center). 

As I understand, team site and document center both do not have the list view limit, they all can have many libraries. We can also keep documents in team site and document center. But team site is for team communication, and document center is just for keep large documents in your farm.

You can check if below picture is useful for you:

Reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/54e0ce08-99ad-4358-97f3-4a61bb86065c/difference-between-the-document-library-in-document-center-and-team-site?forum=sharepointgeneral

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Friday, March 30, 2018 2:15 AM
  • Thanks again for you reply. But sounds like you do not agree that Documents Center template has the same 5000 list view threshold? Well I have been hearing different things and that is the main reason I started this question, that is questioning why Documents Center is any better than a regular site if the threshold still there.

See the bottom comment here?

At this point, I would say the real reason Documents/Records Center template is even listed as one of the solutions to overcome the 5000 threshold is more due to the fact that it "is designed to serve as a centralized repository for managing many documents. Features, such as metadata and tree view navigation, content types, and web parts,"? (Reference: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/manage-large-lists-and-libraries-in-sharepoint-b8588dae-9387-48c2-9248-c24122f07c59?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US )

Friday, March 30, 2018 5:58 PM
  • Hi,

You should pay attention that this concept(list view threshold) does not apply for Document Center.
    The threshold limit is apply for all lists/libraries in your farm, as a result it will apply for the libraries in any site(including Document Center). 

We use a Documents/Records Center to serve as a centralized repository for managing many documents, because it is safer and more convenient than a team site(Contents in the Records Center cannot be changed or overwritten). Not because it can overcome the 5000 threshold(Many people have misunderstood this point).

Documents/Records Center template is optimized for large-scale document management. It can save time and help you be more efficient. Key features such as document versions, document IDs, document sets, metadata navigation, and content types are built in to the template for you. That is the reason why we perfer using a Document center to manage documents! Below article has detailed information about the advantages of Document Center(I have given you this article in my above reply, that is the real reason for using Document Center):

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-a-document-center-site-06096070-d83f-45b8-b02d-ec7a4cf85cac

Best regards,

Allen Bai

• Marked as answer by PCHS007 Monday, April 9, 2018 2:34 PM
    Monday, April 2, 2018 3:01 AM
  • Thank you, I think it is truly a misunderstanding that Documents Center/Records center could circumvent the 5000 listview limit. According to the Microsoft page - "Using the [document center idea], you can get the information you need and stay within the 5000 item List View Threshold." instead of overcome it.

Maybe there is room for improvement for the community to make it clearer that this is a way to "help stay in" instead of "overcome". But I do see that on Microsoft page now - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2759051/the-number-of-items-in-this-list-exceeds-the-list-view-threshold-error

Thanks!

Monday, April 9, 2018 2:34 PM