none
InfoPath Replacement and Migration of existing forms for On-premise SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Our case is that we have some InfoPath forms designed by InfoPath 2007 and these forms are published to SharePoint 2010 Forms Libraries as content types. We also have SharePoint Designer workflows that are linked to these content types (Only two of the WFs are linked to the library (not re-usable WFs) as they were designed by SPD 2007).

Since InfoPath will be no longer supported starting from 2026, then we are currently looking for a replacement to use in case new forms/WFs are needed and also to see how we can migrate our current forms/WFs so as not to use InfoPath anymore.

I have searched a little bit and found some links talking about power apps (as far as I understood, this requires to have office 365 license ,it doesn't have all features of InfoPath and we have to re-design the forms again) and I found some other suggested alternatives from which some of them are using third party tools.

So I want to know the recommended action in our case taking into consideration that our current forms and WFs are complex and we don't want to use third party tools.

Thank you.

Regards,

Marwa Mostafa

Monday, June 24, 2019 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Marwa,

where do you plan to migrate Onprem / Online ? if you are planning to migrate your SharePoint Designer workflows then you could use 3rd party tools to migrate the Designer workflow like (Sharegate, Metalogix & Doc Ave) that will help you to migrate Infopath forms & workflows. 

but this is for time being process i can say because down the road you have to rebuild the forms again and there is no other way other than using Powerapps & flow to build a new form. Off course you can use 3rd Party tools as well though.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:44 PM
  • Hi Sharath,

We are migrating OnPrem.

And what shall we do with existing forms that are either in WF or even completed their WF??

And will we have to re-develop the WF too?? (some WFs were designed using SPD 2010 and are re-usable linked to content type and some others were developed by SPD 2007 and so are list WFs not re-usable ones)

Thank you & Regards,

Marwa Mostafa

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:57 PM
  • Hi Marwa,

where do you plan to migrate i mean which version to where ? If it's Onpremises then the best way is to migrate using Content Database Migration. So, that you won't loose existing forms and there workflows as well. since these are too old forms you might face some challenges but mostly those forms should work just fine for 2010. but for 2007 i think you may have to rebuild those again.

Even 3rd party tools like sharegate will help you to migrate the existing forms including with workflows but as i said you might face some challenges..

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Monday, June 24, 2019 2:39 PM
  • Hello Marwa,

If you want to migrate info path form and workflow to SharePoint online, you will face the challenge because only workflow definition can be migrated to SharePoint Online, there is no api to support workflow instance to migrate.

But since you only migrate them to sharepoint 2010 server, you only do DB attached to meet your requirement.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:23 AM
  • Hi Marwa Mostafa,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

We are going to upgrade to SP 2016 using DB attach so the content will be migrated but after migration, I'm asking about the use of InfoPath. I know that it works normally with SP 2016 but it will be out of support by 2026 and so I'm asking about what to be done in this case. We will be having some existing InfoPath forms that are in WF and we need to make users use another alternative and if we are asked to automate a new business process, then we shouldn't use InfoPath any more and so I'm asking about the alternative and what to do with the existing forms and related WFs.

Thank you.

Regards,

Marwa Mostafa

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Hi Marwa Mostafa,

Yes, InfoPath 2013 will be supported until 14/7/2026.

Then you can use SharePoint designer to design forms as an alternative option For SharePoint 2016.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Hi Sara Fan,

Our current forms are complex with many controls including attachment, picture and people picker and they have different views.

In addition to that, we have custom code for some events like loading to switch views or to retrieve some data from SP and there is also some code for some buttons to do some functions.

So can we do this with SPD? If you could please provide any available reference for this.

Also, regarding the related WFs, As I mentioned above, the forms are published as content types and the WFs are either re-usable WFs linked to the related content type or list WFs (based on SP version on which they were developed) so if we managed to design the forms with SPD, will we manage to link the WF with these new forms or will some extra work be needed on the WFs?

Thank you and Best Regards,

Marwa Mostafa

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Hi Marwa Mostafa,

The forms created in the SharePoint designer cannot achieve the same functions as the forms created by the InfoPath absolutely.

For the forms in the workflows, it cannot be created in SharePoint designer.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 9:05 AM
  • And so what could be used as a replacement to InfoPath forms??
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Hi Marwa Mostafa,

Actually, no applications can replace the InfoPath absolutely.

You can create list forms by SharePoint designer.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 9:29 AM
  • Then, what will we do after InfoPath is out of support??
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:44 AM
  • Hi Mowra,

You may have to rebuild the forms with SharePoint Designer or Powerapps & Flow or else you could use 3rd party tools for building forms again which i don't prefer. So, the best way is try starting to use Powerapps  & Flow only.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 12:02 PM
  • Hi Sharath,

But as far as I understand, PowerApps mainly works with SharePoint online and ours is OnPrem (I think this may need additional license and may need separate setup, right??)

Also, I checked this link but I see that the form is mainly used for data entry but at the end the data is saved as a record in a list but this doesn't match our case as we have many controls, different views and code and every form that the user fills should be saved as file that could be downloaded and printed if needed.

Thanks and Regards,

Marwa

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 12:16 PM
  • Yes you may require additional license for Powerapps and SharePoint 2019/2016 is supported to connect to PowerApps using data gateways. Since data gateways can also be deloyed on SharePoint 2013 and 2010, both would be able to work with PowerApps.

You use a single gateway to create connections to any number of on-premises data sources. The gateway can be deployed centrally and allows you to manage data and helps connect securely from PowerApps, so you can benefit from your existing on-premises data investments without the need to move any data.

Some documentations about on-premise SharePoint and PowerApps:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/support-for-sharepoint-on-premises/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/35244.sharepoint-gateway-powerapps-and-flow.aspx

Well you may have to combine powerapps & flow for creating some custom forms but yes this is not as good as Infopath forms but that is the future. but for time being you can also rebuild the custom forms in SharePoint Designer as well.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 12:30 PM
  • Hi Marwa Mostafa,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, June 28, 2019 1:50 AM