none
2 node dag server - replacing one server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

A client of mine is using a shared exchange 2013 in a 2 node dag environment 
    one of the servers is damaged and needs to be replaced but unfortunately that specific server doesn't have a backup

can some one please help me with what are the proper steps needs to be done so i can replace the damaged server?

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance. 

If the issue has been resolved, don't forget to mark it as answer, this will be easy for other community members to find the useful one. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by 4matics Monday, June 10, 2019 6:22 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2019 2:47 AM

All replies

• Remove the database copies from the old server.  Remove the old server from the DAG.  Uninstall Exchange.  Install Exchange on the new server, add it to the DAG and add the database replicas.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:26 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update on this thread?

If you have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark it as answer. This may help more people with similar problems. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 1:29 AM
  • Hi Lydia, 

Thanks for the replay i will try to do that this weekend

i'm concerned about updates and the cu 
    the server that still works has an old cu and its a problem updating it right now
    and i noticed some of the cu aren't available for download anymore

do they HAVE to be on the same cu?

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, each member of the DAG must be the same CU and run on the same operating system. 

Some CUs are too old and out of support. You should upgrade to the newer version for better services.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 9:01 AM
  • The old server doesn't, since you're removing it from service.  The server you're keeping should be at the latest CU, but you might be able to avoid that.  You should install the new server at the same CU as the existing one unless you will be upgrading the existing server very soon.

Myself, I'd update the server before doing any of this.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance. 

If the issue has been resolved, don't forget to mark it as answer, this will be easy for other community members to find the useful one. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

• Marked as answer by 4matics Monday, June 10, 2019 6:22 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2019 2:47 AM
  • Hi, I ran into trouble removing one of the servers, i've removed the database copies from the old server and
    for some reason all emails are trying to send thru the old server that  i'm trying to remove and they can't get out
    i had to shut it down after trying to reboot and creating a new connector

now i can't remove the server from the dag cause i get this error:

An error occurred while attempting a cluster operation. Error: Cluster API failed: "SetClusterQuorumResource() failed with 0x1725. Error: A quorum of cluster nodes was not present to form a cluster"

Can you please assist?

Monday, June 10, 2019 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have a witness server in your environment?

Every DAG is a Windows failover cluster. Failover clusters use the concept of quorum, which uses a consensus of voters to ensure that only one subset of the cluster members (which could mean all members or a majority of members) is functioning at one time. 

DAGs with an even number of members use the failover cluster's Node and File Share Majority quorum mode, which employs an external witness server that acts as a tie-breaker. Since you have two servers in your DAG, you need a witness server to make sure the DAG will work normally when a server is removed.

You can check this for more information about DAG quorum: Exchange Server 2013 Database Availability Groups

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Monday, June 10, 2019 10:45 AM
  • Mail routing, i.e., transport, has nothing to do with database copies.

If outbound mail is routing through the server, it could be because the server is still specified as a SourceTransportServer in one or more send connectors.

If inbound mail is routing through the server, it could be because your DNS is pointing it there or sending servers are connecting to it directly by IP address or server name.

When a transport server is present in an organization, it's possible mail will be routed through it, so it may not be a problem at all.  Check the above things to ensure that you're ready to uninstall it.

Monday, June 10, 2019 3:47 PM
  • Do you have a valid file share witness specified for the DAG and is it operational?

Monday, June 10, 2019 3:48 PM
  • Hi Ed, Thanks for replying,

the 2nd server is closed right now so the mails flow through the working exchange server

where do i change the route if i want to bring it back up

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to bring the server back, you don't have to do something special to change the mail route. The inbound mail will find the server according to DNS records. Then the server will help to send emails to the right server where holds recipients' mailboxes.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Friday, June 14, 2019 9:40 AM