none
Installing Office 2013 Pro (64-bit) to Surface Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting an error message when I try to install Office 2013 Pro (64-bit) to my Surface Pro. The error reads:

Setup Error

We can't install the 64-bit version of Office because we found the following 32-bit programs on your PC:

Office 15 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component

Please uninstall 32-bit Office Programs, then retry installing 64-bit Office. If you want to install 32-bit Office instead, please run the 32-bit setup.

I can't figure out how to uninstall these components.

Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• On the start screen, type add remove then select Settings and select the add and remove programs applet. Uninstall Office 2013 trial.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

• Marked as answer by DebasishMishra Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:19 PM
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:49 AM
  • That worked. Thanks Diane!
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:19 PM
  • When I bought my Surface Pro 2, I also bought Office 365 Home Premium.  I converted the Office Trial with the key that came with Office 365 Home Premium.  Little did I realize that the Office 365 installation on the Surface Pro 2 was a 32-bit installation.  It's only when I attempted to install an Office plug-in that I found out that I had a 32-bit install instead of 64-bit. Here are some questions:

a) Any particular reason why Microsoft pre-installed the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version? Is it advisable to uninstall the 32-bit version and install the 64-bit version of Office 365 Home premium? Any pros or cons with re-installing Office 365 Home Premium with the 64-bit version?

b) I have already setup Outlook with multiple email accounts.  Do I need to re-setup all these email accounts in Outlook once I re-install Office with the 64-bit version? It's not the end of the world to re-setup 5 email accounts but I'd prefer not to, if at all possible.

I'd appreciate any input.  Thanks!

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:06 AM
  • I didn't realize any plugins were limited to 64bit systems. They pre-installed the 32 bit because most people don't need the features (larger excel and access file sizes) that 64bit supports and many applications that use the send to menu can't 'see' the 64bit version. Many older addins only work with 32bit.

a) If you want 64bit, you will need to uninstall the 32bit version - you can't have mixed versions installed. Con is stated above - some File, Send email commands won't work, will say there is no default email application.

b) no, you won't need to redo the profiles. uninstalling won't remove the profiles and the 'new' outlook will use the profile.

Outlook Tips

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Diane: thanks for the instantaneous response.  The information you've outlined above is very helpful.

I resolved the problem by finding the 32-bit plugin and installing it.  I stuck with the 32-bit Office 365 Home Premium rather than going through the uninstall, install process to get the 64-bit version.

Thanks, once again.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:58 AM
  • Hello Diane. I am having a similar problem.

I tried to install Office Pro Plus 2013 (Corporate License) on my new Surface Pro 3 and get following error message:

Error 25004. The product key you entered cannot be used on this machine. This is most likely due to previous Office 2013 trials being installed.(System error: -1073422314)

Is it likely the case that my Surface also has Office 2013 Trial pre-installed, which I simply need to un-install to fix this? Frankly I only remember seeing Office 365 somewhere among the Apps.

Many thanks in advance.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Yes, uninstall it from programs & features. I'm actually surprised it kicked that up if you never used the one that came with it, but that should take care of it.

Outlook Tips

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 5:36 AM