none
wss 3.0 backup management RRS feed

• Question

• Currently I'm running my wss 3.0 backups using 'stsadm.exe -o backup -url https://server/ -directory \\backup-server\share -backupmethod full' which works fine. I can vew my backups via stsadm.exe -o backuphistory -directory \\backup-server\share but what I cannot do is remove a particular backup. I'd like to only keep 4 sets of full backups, but there doesn't seem to be a method to delete backups. Does anyone have any insight on this, or any tips they can share for how they manage backups?
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:56 PM

All replies

• As far as I know there isn't an automated tool as of yet, but you can manage your own backup directories and the matching XML table of contents.  Backup Summary: Each backup is stored in a separate directory, which is named "spbrxxxx" (where xxxx is a sequential number-letter combo).  There is a XML definition of each of these directories, called "Spbrtoc.xml", which Sharepoint uses to guide the restore process.  Both of these items can be found inside your backup directory, which is set in the "Operations" tab of your Sharepoint Central Administration - or in command line if your using "stsadm.exe" which I highly recommend because of error by-pass.  Note: Sharepoint doesn't make a file name distiction between FULL backup files or Incremental, so view your Backup History in Central Administration prior to deleting files.

Make sure you have a backup copy, by tape or DVD, before modifying any files.  That way you can put it back if it fails.

Begin by simply sorting your backup directory by most recent "Date Modified" at the top, you can count down the number of folders you wanted to keep, you said 4, and look at the name of the next lower file.  Write down this name.  Delete this file and all the files below it, they should all be sequentially lower numbers-letter combos. Then find the "Spbrtoc.xml" file the right-click it, select "edit" and it should open in notepad.  Search for the file you wrote down previously, using Ctrl+F.  Move up a few rows until you find the next "<SPHistoryObject>" tag, highlight it and all code below it and delete it.  Make sure the last row of your notepad is a XML closing tag "</SPHistoryObject>" and click "Save" and exit off the file menu.  If you wish, you may add the "</SPBackupRestoreHistory>" tag below the last "</SPHistoryObject>" tag to have perfect XML formatting, but Sharepoint doesn't really care if that is there or not.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:40 PM
  • Delete them manually by going to the \\backup-server\share  location.
    Regards, Vishwas
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Hi,

YOu can remove them manually or you can add -overwrite flag in your command that will overwrite the existing one.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, November 14, 2011 3:25 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Sorry, I'm not clear on which type of backup you're doing. Can you please clarify if you're performing a site collection backup or a farm (catastrophic) backup? I'm not sure which one you're trying based on the command you've posted as it contains elements from both types (-url = site collection, -directory = farm).

If you're unsure, is the backup creating a single file or a directory of files?

Thanks,

Jason

Monday, November 14, 2011 10:39 PM