none
Error 1324. The folder path 'My Pictures' contains an invalid character.

Question

• 'Error 1324. The folder path 'My Pictures' contains an invalid character' message is a huge problem with Windows 7.  Anytime a user has folder redirection for document, pictures, music, ect... msi's will give the following message when configuring or installing. Not all MSI's have a problem but some do and it makes deploying software a nightmare.

Yes, I know there is the option of resetting your user shell folder paths back to default, but we need redirection and the msi packages do not like the \\servername\ in the users profile path. 

This needs to be fixed!!

The registry key causing problems is HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Everyone,

I'm a little late to the party but I might have some useful info. I just ran into this same issue. Windows 7 Pro, Win2003 SBS server domain, My Documents being redirected through a Group Policy Setting. My Documents redirects to \\SERVER\USERS\USERNAME. Error message that My Documents contains an invalid character. Like TS7, if the user logged in was a Domain Admin, this error did not occur. The difference between a Domain Admin and a Domain User? In my case, The Domain Admin has rights to the USERS folder I listed in the My Documents redirection path. A Domain User does not. A Domain User has full rights ONLY to their User Folder (The USERNAME) part. By giving the Domain Users READ access to the USERS folder (only that folder) the error went away. Apparently even though the user had full rights to their user folder, the fact that they didn't have any rights to the USERS folder in the path was causing the issue. (at least in my case). Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Christian Felix Friday, April 20, 2012 12:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by btenney Thursday, August 09, 2012 9:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:23 PM
  • It doesn't have a virus or malware or whatever.. The paths are \\servername\homedir\my pictures which is legit.  Their documents and music have been redirected to the server. My guess is that you are a home user...

For somebody else that has this problem, I fixed it by changing the redirection policy from  "redirect to the users home directory" to "redirect to the following location".  I then set the location to their home folder drive letter which is U:.  The result is a path that set to 'U:\my pictures' instead of the two backslashes.

Its more of a workaround then a fix but it works.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:18 PM

All replies

• This is not a common problem in Windows 7.  Something on your computer has become corrupt or infected with a virus.

What is in that key on your computer.  Mine has the folders listed there.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:54 PM
  • It doesn't have a virus or malware or whatever.. The paths are \\servername\homedir\my pictures which is legit.  Their documents and music have been redirected to the server. My guess is that you are a home user...

For somebody else that has this problem, I fixed it by changing the redirection policy from  "redirect to the users home directory" to "redirect to the following location".  I then set the location to their home folder drive letter which is U:.  The result is a path that set to 'U:\my pictures' instead of the two backslashes.

Its more of a workaround then a fix but it works.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:18 PM
  • This is not a common problem in Windows 7.  Something on your computer has become corrupt or infected with a virus.

What is in that key on your computer.  Mine has the folders listed there.

Yes, IT IS a common problem for Windows 7!!!! I am installing the third Vaio during this months... complite new installations! And the third time I am having problems installing different programs into the computers. These computers are brain new and have no pictures at all!
    Besides, I am trying to instal Citrix right now and what it has ot do with any pictures in general???? But still get this error 1324.
    Of course there is the way out - with regestry change... but it is bug!

It has to be fixed!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:33 PM
  • I've seen the problem as well on several windows 7 machines, you're too quick to blame it on malware.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:31 PM
  • I've seen the problem as well on several windows 7 machines, you're too quick to blame it on malware.
    This problem has nothing to do with malware, circus starts always after adding to a domain.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:42 AM
  • It a long away from 2 people...
    This is, for example, for swedish users 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549 
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:49 AM
  • I'm seeing it as well.  My registry is pointed to a server file and it is a correct location (we have a mapped drive for My documents).  I can open the path that is located in the registry.

What is wrong?

Monday, June 27, 2011 10:26 PM
  • I agree! This IS an issue - IT IS NOT A VIRUS (unless you count Microsoft AD as a virus) - I have several Windows 7 Professional workstations (several = ~25) on a 2008 Active Directory Domain (mixed mode) with re-directed My Documents folders - ALL of them are having this error when attempting to install MSI packages. Work arounds have been;

1.) Install all MSI packages - and ALL subsequent updates - as a locally logged on user (one without a re-directed My Documents folder) or

2.) Remove the Registry key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders (note: This does NOT always work)

I have seen it suggested in various forums to direct MSI NOT to look for the My Documents folder - to script the MSI install somehow, but I cannot find where or how to do that. But this is, again, a work around and does not address the issue.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Rick Dee is incorrect! This is a problem for more than "2" people. Just because he hasn't experienced the problem doesn't mean it isn't one for many others. This problem started ocurring for me when I migrated user profiles from XP to Windows 7 using easy file transfer. We have a Windows SBS 2003 server. They all have the problem when updating Adobe, Quickbooks and a few other packages. Thankfully others have listed some helpful answers which I'll try next.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Yes, IT IS a common problem for Windows 7!!!! I am installing the third Vaio during this months... complite new installations! And the third time I am having problems installing different programs into the computers. These computers are brain new and have no pictures at all!
    Besides, I am trying to instal Citrix right now and what it has ot do with any pictures in general???? But still get this error 1324.
    Of course there is the way out - with regestry change... but it is bug!

It has to be fixed!

Two (2) people out of over 240 million (240,000,000) report this problem and you believe IT IS COMMON?

I really believe you are stretching the truth a looooooong way!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Rick Dee, you are being arrogant rather than helpful, and are making assumptions which you believe to be true rather than asking questions.  Not exactly the mark of a professional.

I am having a similar problem with forty systems I have deployed.  This error happens when installing certain programs, commonly ones that use .msi files, when Folder Redirection is enabled in an Active Directory environment.  Microsoft has actual documentation of this having happened (check their Knowledge Base) in a Windows XP environment as well, but I have never experienced it until working with Windows 7.

Adobe Acrobat Reader updates are our biggest problem that causes the error, but installs of some HP inkjet printer drivers cause it as well.  The installer files do not believe the "My Documents" folder is a valid location when the folder is redirected to server, thus the issue.

It is a very serious issue when you are thinking of deploying to 1,000 systems.  It is one of a number of reasons why I have urged our organization to delay upgrading from Windows XP for as long as we can, despite Microsoft urging all corporate clients to do otherwise.  The only quick workaround I am aware of is to log in as a local (non-domain) user to install the software, as their documents folder is not redirected.  That simply isn't an option in a 1,000+ workstation environment.

Everyone gets everything he wants. Me, I wanted to be a sysadmin. And for my sins --they made me one.

• Edited by LoneWolf15 Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by lslmustang Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by lslmustang Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:40 PM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:17 PM
  • The workaround I've found is to edit the registry to MY Pictures and update it to use the letter drive instead of the \\servername.  It comes back because these drives are scirpted when logged in. But once I change it to p:/mypictures or what ever, I can then do the install.

It happens EVERY time I try and install something on this Windows 7 box.  On every box here that uses these drives as our My documents so that our documents are kept on the server and backed up :-)

Linda

Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:44 PM
  • We have been running into this problem since moving to Windows 7 but had a break through recently.  We have found if the user is made a member of Domain Admins, they are able to install with no problem.  Even if the user is a Local Administrator, they have the problem.  This would obviously seem to be permissions-related and that is the direction we are exploring.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 1:45 AM
  • Hi TS7,

Did you determine anything out on the Windows 7 and error 1324 caused by the network folder redirects?  You said that you do not receive the error when it is a Domain Admin running the program.  I am going to try that out with a Quickbooks update that doesn't like the My Pictures redirect.

For the others here looking to see what causes the error, the error is caused because the installer program for some reason does not like the fact the "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" has UNC values of \\ServerName\FolderName  The installer is looking for a plain drive letter path like H:\Foldername.  In Windows 7 and Win2008R2 GPOs, MS removed the ability to have these values as drive letters; it automatically converts them to UNCs.

If you edit the various "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" to have drive letter values, the install will work.

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 10:53 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

I'm a little late to the party but I might have some useful info. I just ran into this same issue. Windows 7 Pro, Win2003 SBS server domain, My Documents being redirected through a Group Policy Setting. My Documents redirects to \\SERVER\USERS\USERNAME. Error message that My Documents contains an invalid character. Like TS7, if the user logged in was a Domain Admin, this error did not occur. The difference between a Domain Admin and a Domain User? In my case, The Domain Admin has rights to the USERS folder I listed in the My Documents redirection path. A Domain User does not. A Domain User has full rights ONLY to their User Folder (The USERNAME) part. By giving the Domain Users READ access to the USERS folder (only that folder) the error went away. Apparently even though the user had full rights to their user folder, the fact that they didn't have any rights to the USERS folder in the path was causing the issue. (at least in my case). Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Christian Felix Friday, April 20, 2012 12:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by btenney Thursday, August 09, 2012 9:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:23 PM
  • HEy,

that worked for me! Thanks

Christian

Friday, April 20, 2012 12:36 PM
  • This worked for me too. After setting READ security rights on the folder share (DOMAIN USERS) i've had no error anymore.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:22 PM
  • This was driving me crazy, too... Adobe Reader was a particular culprit with my Windows 7 x64 installs.

User's path to My Pictures is \\servername\home\username\my pictures

Users do not have read access to \\servername\home but they have full access to \\servername\home\username and below.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:05 PM
  • I apologize for bumping this old thread up again - but I wanted to share the information to others who has this quite common problem that is is enough to grant "Read Attributes" to Domain users.

In my case it wasn't allowed for security and privacy reasons to give users all read permission to the folder, what would have actually allowed them to see at least what other folders reside on this share besides the one they access - but "Read Attributes" does the trick just fine for me. Users can't list the directory, search or run files from there, but the "invalid character" error is gone. I guess this is a unhandled exception while checking attributes rather then the "\\", since this is working fine in my scenario.

Friday, February 01, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

Worked for me, thank you
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 1:26 PM
  • This worked for me. redirecting the folders to the drive letter and the name fixed the issue without compromising permissions set by GPO for staff and students.
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:30 PM
  • I had an issue with Autocad not launching in a networked environment with redirected folders as well. After googling I came across this  thread which helped me solve the issue. In my environment, I found this was caused by users not having permission to the root network directory their account folders resided on, I found that there were 2 solutions to this issue.

Solution 1: Grant read permissions to domain users to the root directory of where their account resides (this was not applicable to me as my manager did not want to apply any security changes to the root directory account).

Solution 2 (One I deployed):  Run Autocad from an account with the problem using the powershell script below (only have to do this once), the script essentially changes the registry keys causing the issue within the following path: (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders), launches autocad and reverts the keys back to what they were.

This fix only needs to be run by the user once after which they can launch autocad normally, I think Autocad looks for these reg keys and tries to access a file it does not have access to hence fails, by applying this fix it accesses a local directory instead which it does have access to and launches and writes something back in the registry which means this key is no longer referenced. Hope that makes sense, thought to write this as I have spent hours trying to figure this out using tools such as process monitor etc.. Heres the script (you may need to modify slightly to fit your environment):

$RegKey ="HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"

$username=$env:USERNAME
    $mypicturesregkey = (Get-ItemProperty $RegKey).'My Pictures'
    $startmenuregkey = (Get-ItemProperty $RegKey).'Start Menu'
    $programsregkey = (Get-ItemProperty $RegKey).Programs
    $startupregkey = (Get-ItemProperty $RegKey).Startup

Set-ItemProperty -Path $RegKey -Name "My Pictures" -Value "%USERPROFILE%\My Pictures"
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $RegKey -Name "Start Menu" -Value "C:\Users\$username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu"
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $RegKey -Name "Programs" -Value "C:\Users\$username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $RegKey -Name "Startup" -Value "C:\Users\$username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

invoke-item "Path to your acad.exe here"
    start-sleep -seconds 50
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $RegKey -Name "My Pictures" -Value $mypicturesregkey
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $RegKey -Name "Start Menu" -Value $startmenuregkey
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $RegKey -Name "Programs" -Value $programsregkey
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $RegKey -Name "Startup" -Value $startupregkey

Thursday, November 26, 2015 1:04 PM