none
RSS Viewer web-part problem

    Question

  • Hi,

    I'm having a strange problem with the RSS viewer.

    Its not working on our production system, so i started looking at dev server , so far I have updated the web.config with the following

    <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true">
         <proxy usesystemdefault="false" proxyaddress=http://proxyaddress:port8080 bypassonlocal="true" />
    </defaultProxy>

    when I'm RDP'ed directly on the dev server and open a page with 4 rss viewers on it worked fine afterI had the outside firewall opended to port 80.

    If i use a browser on another client and point to the test server it also works fine.

    Then if I log off the test server go back to my client and change one of the feeds to point somewhere else i get a

    "ProtocolError occured trying to complete the request. The server returned a status code of : Forbidden and the status description is : "Forbidden" in the RSS viewer web part.

    If I then RDP back on to the server and open the same page I get the same error (but the other feeds are still working). If I now do an IIS reset the new one will work as well, on the server and the client.

    what gives !

    Friday, March 19, 2010 12:19 PM

Answers

  • Got to the bottom of this in end.

    Had to add a rule to the proxy server to allow unauthenticated traffic out on port 80 from the dev , works lovely now

    • Marked as answer by Spotty41 Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:25 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:25 AM

All replies

  • Hi Spotty,

    It almost sounds like there's a strict timeout set on the sessions through the proxy you might want to check on that.
    What if you remove useDefaultCredentials?

    I think you have to correct the proxyaddress too with " "'s

    Another thing I strongly advice you to set in the proxy config is bypass for internal sites. This is set within the same defaultproxy tag as you have:

    <defaultProxy>
      <proxy usesystemdefault="false" proxyaddress="http://proxyaddress:8080" bypassonlocal="true" />
    <bypasslist>
      <add address="[a-z]+\.yourdomain\.com" />
      <add address="[a-z]+\.internaldomain\.com />
    </bypasslist>
    </defaultProxy>

    This will ensure that crawls that points to your FQDN wont go through the proxy, which can bring it on it's knees.

    Hope this sheds some light on the issue.


    George Lazo
    Friday, March 19, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Hi George,

    Thanks for the reply.

    the missing quotes around the proxy server address were just a typo when I was posting, they are present on the server.

    if I remove useDefaultCredentials the I can't get any feeds at all, i get the error

    "

    ProtocolError occured trying to complete the request. The server returned a status code of : ProxyAuthenticationRequired and the status description is : "Proxy Authentication Required"

    on the server and the client.

     

    Friday, March 19, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Got to the bottom of this in end.

    Had to add a rule to the proxy server to allow unauthenticated traffic out on port 80 from the dev , works lovely now

    • Marked as answer by Spotty41 Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:25 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:25 AM