none
Trying to Uninstall: An incomplete installation was detected. Run setup to complete Exchange installation. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All...

Trying to uninstall Exchange 2013 CUv2 v2. I've moved all the Mailboxes, Arbitration, Discovery, Public Folder, etc to another working server. Everything was moved over fine. Uninstall via the control panel proceeded as normal, then just failed. No choice but to exit. Now when trying to recover, and uninstall again....I cannot. I get the vague error of "An incomplete installation was detected.  Run setup to complete Exchange installation." 

Not that I want to, but tried to reinstall, but can't do that either.

I know it's a last resort and not supported, but can I just use ASDIEdit ,and manually remove the server references? If so, what is a good guide on the procedure....? I don't want spend hours pouring over setup logs and the registry if I don't have to- just want this removed from AD.

I've searched the net quite a bit on manual removal, but can't find a concise how-to...

Any help is appreciated ...Thanks

Friday, December 13, 2013 7:08 PM

Answers

• There should not be any ill effects as long as you delete only that server. I would advise that you be very careful and pay close attention to what you are deleting. If your not sure a safer option would be to make a backup of your AD so you have that just in case of accidental deletion of a critical item. You can search TechNet for specifics on backing up your AD according to your Server version (2003, 2008, etc).

HossFly, Exchange Administrator

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Hi,

It is not recommended to remove Exchange Server using ADSIEdit.

If you really want to do so, please run ADSIEdit.msc and locate to:

CN=configuration
    DC=domain name,DC=com
    CN=Services
    CN=Microsoft Exchange
    CN=Organization
    CN=Administrative Groups
    CN=(Groupname)
    CN=Servers

What's more, here is a thread for your reference.

Remove Failed Exchange 2010 Install (Note: Though it is Exchange 2010, I think it also applies to Exchange 2013)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/c2d94219-3421-4b43-b659-b34ce46bf648/remove-failed-exchange-2010-install?forum=exchangesvrdeploylegacy

Hope it helps.

If there are any problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Amy

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by DTopoJr Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:34 PM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 10:00 AM

All replies

• Give this a try and let us know.

To remove the server open ADSI-Edit and go to configuration

Navigate to this path:

CN=Configuration,DC=DOMAIN,DC=LOCAL
    CN=Services
    CN=Microsoft Exchange
    CN=EXCHANGE_ORG
    CN=Administrative Groups

for Exchange 

CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)

CN=Servers

Friday, December 13, 2013 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

It is not recommended to remove Exchange Server using ADSIEdit.

If you really want to do so, please run ADSIEdit.msc and locate to:

CN=configuration
    DC=domain name,DC=com
    CN=Services
    CN=Microsoft Exchange
    CN=Organization
    CN=Administrative Groups
    CN=(Groupname)
    CN=Servers

What's more, here is a thread for your reference.

Remove Failed Exchange 2010 Install (Note: Though it is Exchange 2010, I think it also applies to Exchange 2013)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/c2d94219-3421-4b43-b659-b34ce46bf648/remove-failed-exchange-2010-install?forum=exchangesvrdeploylegacy

Hope it helps.

If there are any problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Amy

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by DTopoJr Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:34 PM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 10:00 AM
  • Amy....thanks. I really don't WANT to do this-- but as long as the consensus is that it won't do any harm...I'll remove it via ADSIEdit...since I can't re-install it anyway.

I'll let you know how I make out....

Monday, December 16, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Check the registry for the water mark key, if you see the WaterMark Key, delete the WaterMark key and try to uninstall.

Post the update.

Gulab Prasad,
    Exchange Ranger
    Z-Hire Employee Provisioning App

• Proposed as answer by bulatd Thursday, September 6, 2018 10:10 AM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Gulab..... I only found one watermark key under this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v15\MailboxRole]

I don't think that's the one related to setup- none the less I removed it but still can't uninstall.

Think I'll go the ADSIEdit route- there should be no ill effects doing that right? 

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:12 PM
  • There should not be any ill effects as long as you delete only that server. I would advise that you be very careful and pay close attention to what you are deleting. If your not sure a safer option would be to make a backup of your AD so you have that just in case of accidental deletion of a critical item. You can search TechNet for specifics on backing up your AD according to your Server version (2003, 2008, etc).

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Thanks all... for the input and reassurance- all looks good now. Removed that one problem exchange server with ADSIEdit...

Happy holidays....! 

• Proposed as answer by Jerome Lags Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:31 AM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:34 PM
  • use same Exhcnage 2013 Media(if CU2 , use CU2) and use command prompt

command line: setup.com /m:uninstall

• Proposed as answer by Валера2 Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:25 AM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 6:36 AM
  • Hi,

You'll need Microsoft Exchnage Server 2013 media. (DVD/ISO).

Execute the following command using command promt (run cmd as administrator):

Setup.exe /mode:Uninstall /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

I was having identical problem and by using this method I didn't have to use ADSIEdit.

Friday, June 13, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Thank you!!

the setup.exe /m:uninstall command worked perfectly.  Now I can try again to get Exchange 2013 to install correctly.  :)

Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:38 PM
  • This worked perfectly.

Thanks!

Eimis

Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:33 PM
  • Lokys you little genius.  Thanks for saving me from the anxiety that is ADSIEDIT.  

Crystal Chadwick Sr. Exchange Administrator

Friday, July 17, 2015 12:15 AM
  • We always look for answers on forums and never give thanks when its do. But today I would like to say THANK YOU!

I wasted 8 hours trying to get the regedit key (watermark) and was about to do the ADSIEDIT and came across your suggestion and it was validated with a few users.

I am in the process now of uninstalling and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:28 AM
  • Awesome.. This worked

Friday, October 16, 2015 2:41 PM
  • Thank you.....!!

this also worked for me (setup.com /m:uninstall). Now I can do the uninstallation without touching ADSIEdit

Sunday, July 3, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

I was having identical problem and by using this method I didn't have to use ADSIEdit.

I can confirm that this does not work for Exchange 2016 CU3 running on Server 2016. A botched install of Exchange, and me trying to get rid of it so I can install again. Receiving same error messages, but this post didn't work for me. 
    Monday, December 5, 2016 8:02 PM
  • Had an issue where Exchange 2016 CU6 Setup failed because full disk.

After fixing that, and starting setup.exe in GUI mode again, it failed with a huge ammount of errors.

Trying to remove Exchange in "Programs and Features" failed saying "incomplete installation detected".

Trying to remove it with Setup.exe /mode:Uninstall started letting me hope, it yould work. Then it failed again when trying to remove Mailbox service.

The error is "[ERROR] This mailbox database contains one or more mailboxes, mailbox plans, archive m......"

Now i have an installation that cannot be completet now be uninstalled. Nice.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 12:43 PM
  • i ended up deleting and installing the exchange server from scratch on. took some time to tidy up AD before exchange could be installed in the same domain again.
    Friday, July 21, 2017 4:15 PM
  • This may be an older post but I wanted to mention that this did work for me as well.  Though I forced removal from a failed Exchange server from Active Directory using ADSI Edit, I never felt good about it.  Thanks for the post (3 years ago lol)
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 10:49 PM
  • I received the same error trying to uninstall an Exchange 2013 CU18 mailbox server via "Program Features", which died at step 7, but the uninstall successfully completed using the cmdlet above, thank you!
    Friday, January 19, 2018 9:53 PM
  • I had same issue and I ran the following command "setup.com /mode:uninstall" and the problem has been resolved. Many Thanks

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:31 PM
  • I'm having the same issue right now, with Exchange Server 2016 CU6. Were you able to find a solution of is the only way to Uninstall it, to start from scratch or back-up?
    • Edited by Evv.Iz Tuesday, March 6, 2018 10:17 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 10:16 AM
  • Setup.exe /mode:Uninstall /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

That solved my problem quickly and safely.  Thanks!

Rick

Sunday, March 18, 2018 6:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thank You.

It helped me.

Ashraf

Monday, June 25, 2018 7:11 AM