Outlook 2010 loses password RRS feed

• Question

• Office 2010 loaded, including Outlook 2010 on Windows 10 machine without issue - UNTIL - Windows 10 update 2004 was installed last week.  Since then I have an ongoing nightmare.  Several programs did not work properly immediately after update installed.  After much diagnosis and consulting support it was determined that a reload to the previous version of Windows 10 was required.  All restore points were gone.  Reloaded from partition only to learn that had been updated as well - after reinstall I still had version 2004.  Loaded everything back up anyway (what choice do I have).  All seems to be okay except Outlook 2010.  Almost constant send receive error 0x8004210A.  When I check account settings sometimes the password box is blank, other times it is there.  If the password is there, simply clicking next in the settings box will fix it for an hour or so.  Retyping the password has the same effect.  Interestingly it sometimes sends emails but won't receive them.

I have repaired the email file using scanpst.exe without success.  No serious problems were found.

I have tried everything I could find on the web, including an identities file repair.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:03 PM

All replies

• Hi DanRapp,

Welcome to our forum.

Does this issue only occur to specific email account? It is suggested to try adding other email account to your Outlook and see if the issue has any difference.

>> Almost constant send receive error 0x8004210A.
    I researched a lot about the error code of 0x8004210A and found that there might be several possible causes, please check the workarounds in this article Error occurs when you send or receive an email message in Outlook and see if it works.

>> When I check account settings sometimes the password box is blank, other times it is there.
    Since the limitation of the environment, I can not conduct tests in Windows 10 update 2004 so far. I searched a lot and found that there are also some other users who have the same issue with Outlook 2019 after updating Win10 to 2004 version. It seems that this issue might be related to the Windows version but I cannot find any official documents explaining this issue so far.

As a temporary workaround, it is suggested to roll back to its previous windows version as you mentioned or you can temporarily use the web mail for now.

On the other hand, please keep an eye on the announcement or update from Microsoft. Thanks for your patience.

Hope this issue can be resolved soon.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 18, 2020 6:23 AM
  • Thank you for your response.

I had found a document, possibly the same one you provided the link to, with the suggested fixes for Outlook.  Unfortunately, none of the suggestions fixed the issue.

As time passes I am becoming more and more convinced the issue is related to Win10 ver 2004.  Why?  I have had to use more software as time goes by and I am seeing more issues - most all related to user IDs and passwords.  It seems none of them "store" the way they did before.  This includes auto-fill within internet browsers (Chrome - IE - Edge - Firefox).  I am beginning to wonder if Win 10 ver 2004 blocks all stored passwords and auto-fill by default.  However, this would not explain why Outlook will not retain the password once completed and the software is NOT shut down.  Outlook will lose the password within minutes or an hour.  Extremely frustrating.

Thanks again,

Dan

Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:42 AM
  • Hi DanRapp,

Thanks for your reply.

I did some research but have not got more useful information so far. As I know, there might be some relationships between Outlook email account and Windows Credential Manager and windows settings or registry keys may also cause Outlook to work abnormally.

Based on the information we have for now, it is suggested to wait for the announcement or the next update from Microsoft. Thanks for your understanding and patience and hope this issue can be resolved soon.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 19, 2020 7:49 AM
  • Hi DanRapp,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any further updates on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, June 26, 2020 9:08 AM