none
3rd party hosted exchange to on premise migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I am currently working on a project to migrate a company of around 500 users from a 3rd party exchange hosting company to an on premise Exchange 2013 server. The hosting companies exchange infrastructure is based on Exchange 2010 and the company has never had and on premise exchange system installed.

I have arranged with the current hosting company to export all mailboxes to a pst and hand them to me on hard drive towards the end of July. I was planning on installing the on premise exchange 2013 server well in advance of the switch over date so that I can create mailboxes and configure the server as needed.

However, I was thinking about this over the weekend and now have concerns that once I install the Exchange 2013 server, autodiscover will break existing outlook profiles that connect to the hosted exchange server. If this is the case then I cannot install the exchange server beforehand as the customer will obviously need access to their existing mail system until we are ready to switch over.

I would appreciate it if anyone could advise me on whether or not installing the new exchange server beforehand would cause any issues or not with the existing mail profiles. or indeed any other comments or advice.

Thanks for any help

Rich

Monday, June 24, 2013 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can deploy different kinds of autodiscover access methods:

1. SCP

2. autodiscover.domain.com

3. Local XML

4. SRV

You can exclude the unnecessary access type by registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover]

"ExcludeHttpRedirect"=dword:00000001

"ExcludeHttpsAutodiscoverDomain"=dword:00000001

"ExcludeHttpsRootDomain"=dword:00000001

"ExcludeSrvLookup"=dword:00000001

"ExcludeSrvRecord"=dword:00000001

Maybe, you can use the second method in one Org and use the SRV record in the other Org.

Thanks,

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:06 AM