none
Visio Pro 2019 - Hangs When Using Keyboard Shortcuts RRS feed

• Question

• I have a fresh install of Visio Pro 2019 64 bit on a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PC running v1903. When I try to use the shortcut keys (CTRL, ALT, ARROW, SHIFT etc) after selecting a shape with my mouse, the app hangs. When I minimise and maximise, the hang is gone until I depress a keyboard key again. No issue on Office 2019 Pro. No issue with copy paste using the mouse. Tried a repair. Tried reinstalling twice. Tried Safe Mode. Nada. HELP!!!
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What detailed version(build) of Visio 2019 are you using, please update it and your hardware drivers to the latest version to have a check.

You can also log in your computer with other Windows user accounts to check for the issue.

If you have other keyboards, please use them to have a check.

You can also click File > Options. Then select Advanced, in the right pane, scroll down to Display, find Disable hardware graphics acceleration and check this option, then click OK.

If the issue persists, please try switch to 32-bit version of Visio 2019 to check if the issue still occurs?

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, June 17, 2019 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:23 AM
  • I'm having the same exact issue, running Visio 2019 Pro 32-bit, Version 1905 (Build 11629.20246).  This is the latest build when requesting an update from within the software.  I see version 1906 is mentioned elsewhere, but there appears to be no way to download that incremental update. Is this issue fixed within version 1906, anyway?

This issue completely freezes up Visio upon executing ANY keyboard command / shortcut.  

I have tried disabling hardware acceleration, disabling add-ins, running as admin, and calling Visio in safe mode. I have also tried both of the repair methods: basic and deep.

None of those attempts provide good results.  The program still locks every time the keyboard is used, and this makes the application unusable.

I'm running a Dell Precision 7530 with Xeon(R) E-2176M 12-core CPU; 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro for Workstations 64-bit.

**I did wonder if ECC RAM is an/the issue?

I am in need of a solution for this issue in order to be productive, so Herb, if you have things for me to try, please let me know, and I will do my best to try them and post results ASAP.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:17 PM
  • Hi.

I'm too having this issue. I have the Microsoft Visio Professional 2019, Version 1906 (build 11727.20230). I see the problem hasn't been corrected since the last replay and in this version remains unsolved.

It hangs with ANY keyboard command / shortcut and works again when the program looses focus, doing all the this I attempted to do while the program was still frozen.

I had tried all the possible suggestions I could find, including the ones @Brian Rockett said, and even reinstaling drivers, but nothing works and I realy need this program.

If someone finds a solution please let us know.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 11:51 PM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Friday, July 5, 2019 1:19 AM
  • Hi.

Me again, after trying everithing, including reinstalling all the programs from Mifrocosft Office and installing only both versions of Visio (32 & 64), the only thing that works is to log in with other account. I created a local account and opened the program and it no longer freezes up with any key (Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Del, Tab, etc...) it just works.

Is all good but I would like to not have to change account every time I need to use Visio.

If anyone has a better idea please share it.

• Edited by SergioR31 Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:13 PM
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:12 PM
  • I have two Windows language packs installed (US and German). With US selected Visio freezes. If I select the German language pack Visio works again.

You can add/remove language packs in Windows 10 if you go to Settings > Time & Language > Language. You can switch between language packs via pressing the Windows key + Space bar. 
    Sunday, July 14, 2019 3:05 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue on the latest build.

Visio 2019 Pro 64bit ENG v1906

As soon a keyboard shortcut like Delete or Ctrl + C the application hangs.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:00 PM
  • I get it solved here!

I was having the same issue, but on Visio 2013.

One of the settings that I changed on the past few days was word predictions on my physical keyboard. I turned it off and Visio stops to freeze.

My system:

• Windows 10 Professional - 1903 - Portuguese Brasil
    • Visio Professional 2013

Best regards

• Proposed as answer by Pavel Nosov Thursday, August 1, 2019 12:21 PM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 5:06 PM
  • Same problem here.

Tried all workaround mentioned here but nothing has changed.

My PC is a HP ZBook 15 G5 with CPU of Intel Xeon E-2176M and 16GB of Ram.

UPDATE: Didn't notice @Fabio FBR's workaround. My Hardware Keyboard word predictions was enabled. Just disabled it and the problem resolved. Thanks!
    • Edited by Deniz Irde Friday, August 2, 2019 4:28 PM
    Friday, August 2, 2019 4:24 PM
  • Thanks for the steer here !

Windows 10 1903 with Visio 2019 (1907 Build 11901.20176 CtR)

As soon as the keyboard is used to invoke any vision shortcut the application hangs until I completed Alt+Tab twice away from and back to Visio.

Disabling "Show Text suggestions as I type" resolved the issue and Visio worked as expected...

Good spot Pavel !

• Proposed as answer by PPSaunders Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:19 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 12:26 PM
  • Same issue here with 2019 64 bit - clean install, clean windows install.
    Monday, August 12, 2019 11:47 AM
  • Thanks Pavel - that sorted it for me - so Microsoft Bug then - when's the hot fix due..
    Monday, August 12, 2019 11:48 AM
  • Thank you for your post.  That solved my problem with Visio v1907 click to run.  To be clear for everyone else, this occurs if you enable the following feature in Windows 10:

• Settings
    • Devices
    • Typing
    • Hardware Keyboard
    • Show text suggestions as I type: ON

Turn the text suggestions feature off.  This is clearly a bug in Visio and the interaction with this Windows 10 feature that Microsoft needs to resolve.

Paul

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:16 AM
  • I propose this as an answer but it is just a workaround for a bug.

Paul

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:20 AM
  • This solved my problem.
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:07 PM