none
Retention policies, expiration RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2013 on-premise 1/27/2015

I have a retention policy that moves deleted items from the deleted folder to the recovery folder after 2 weeks. it is applied to all mailboxes but for this example we will observer mine.

when I look in my deleted items folder I see the retention policy applied, items are flagged with expiration dates.

However, several say "This item is expired" "Expires 1/23/2015" this item for example was put in the deleted items folder on the 9th, today is the 27, it expired on the 23rd.

So why hasn't it moved to the retention items folder?

Exchange is 100% up-to-date, MS Outlook client is 100% up-to-date. I have run the MFA against my mailbox several times.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Are you using retention policies on any other folders in your mailbox?  If so, are any of these working properly?

If possible, please apply retention policy with permanently delete action to a test mailbox to check if these items can be deleted.

Please check the application log whether it has Event ID 9017 and 9018, make sure the MRM works well. Please check the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Assistants service is working well.

You can also increase the diagnostic logging level for the MRM, and then monitor the Event in the application log.

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by jamicon Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you using retention policies on any other folders in your mailbox?  If so, are any of these working properly?

If possible, please apply retention policy with permanently delete action to a test mailbox to check if these items can be deleted.

Please check the application log whether it has Event ID 9017 and 9018, make sure the MRM works well. Please check the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Assistants service is working well.

You can also increase the diagnostic logging level for the MRM, and then monitor the Event in the application log.

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by jamicon Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:41 AM
  • yes, my junk email folder and the RSS folder

thanks for your suggestions I will do that and get back to you

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:39 PM