none
Finding it difficult to search the old & recent emails in outlook 2013

Question

• Hi,

We are using the POP account in outlook 2013.When we search the old mails,it taking so much of time for searching and it is showing No message found.

Recently last week ,we have received one mail and we tried for searching particular email id in search box of outlook 2013.But it is showing No Message Found.After that i have searched manually one-by-one and i have the got last week email received from that particular email id.

Please let me know what is the easiest way of searching all the old mails in outlook 2013 and what are all the keyword to be used for searching the old mails in outlook 2013.We are using the pop account in outlook 2013.

Regards

Pradeep.R

Friday, January 02, 2015 8:14 AM

Answers

• Hello,

This issue may occur for several reasons. To troublehsoot it, we may first make sure the indexing is complete. To check the indexing status in Outlook 2013, please follow:

1. In Outlook, click in the Search box.

2. Click the Search tab, click Search Tools, and then click Indexing Status.

3. When the Indexing Status dialog appears, you should see the following:

Outlook has finished indexing all of your items.
    0 items remaining to be indexed.

If Outlook has not finished indexing all of your items, note the items remaining to be indexed, wait 5 minutes, and then check again. If the number of items did not decrease, the second thing to check is if Outlook Data File is included in indexing. To check this, please follow:

1. Exit Outlook.

2. Open the Indexing Options. Click Start, type Indexing Options in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

3. In the Indexing Options dialog box, make sure that Microsoft Outlook is listed in the Included Locations column.

4. If Microsoft Office Outlook is not listed, click Modify, and then click to enable the check box next to Outlook.

5. Click OK.

6. Click Close.

If still no luck, we may refer to the instructions in the following article and try to rebuild the indexing to see the result.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2769651?wa=wsignin1.0

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Monday, January 05, 2015 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hello,

This issue may occur for several reasons. To troublehsoot it, we may first make sure the indexing is complete. To check the indexing status in Outlook 2013, please follow:

1. In Outlook, click in the Search box.

2. Click the Search tab, click Search Tools, and then click Indexing Status.

3. When the Indexing Status dialog appears, you should see the following:

Outlook has finished indexing all of your items.
    0 items remaining to be indexed.

If Outlook has not finished indexing all of your items, note the items remaining to be indexed, wait 5 minutes, and then check again. If the number of items did not decrease, the second thing to check is if Outlook Data File is included in indexing. To check this, please follow:

1. Exit Outlook.

2. Open the Indexing Options. Click Start, type Indexing Options in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

3. In the Indexing Options dialog box, make sure that Microsoft Outlook is listed in the Included Locations column.

4. If Microsoft Office Outlook is not listed, click Modify, and then click to enable the check box next to Outlook.

5. Click OK.

6. Click Close.

If still no luck, we may refer to the instructions in the following article and try to rebuild the indexing to see the result.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2769651?wa=wsignin1.0

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Monday, January 05, 2015 3:15 AM
  • Hi

As per the information and details provided by you, for searching all the old mails in Outlook 2013, please follow these steps: -

Search for a specific time frame

If you are looking for messages from a specific period of time, try adding those dates as a condition. In the Advanced Search box, type the following, using your time frame for the mm/dd/yy spaces:

Received/between/mm/dd/yy and mm/dd/yy

Increase your search limit

If you want to see more messages than the 250 that Outlook will automatically bring up for you, you can bypass this limit.

• Go to File > Options > Search.
    • Uncheck the Improve search speed by limiting the number of results shown, check box in the Results section.
    • Click OK and then restart Outlook for the changes to take effect.

Adjust your cache settings

Outlook 2013 will automatically keep an offline cache of messages going 12 months back. If you want to change this setting:

• Go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
    • Check the Exchange account you want in the Email tab, then click Change.
    • Under Offline Settings, adjust the slider to change the amount of the time that your mail will be stored in the offline cache. Make sure the Cached Exchange Mode box is checked.
    • Exit and restart Outlook for the changes to take effect.

Search through subfolders

To search through subfolders in addition to the current folder, look for a box next to the search box that has a drop-down menu. Select Subfolders from the menu. You can also choose the search the Current Mailbox or All Outlook items.

I hope this information will be helpful for you.

Thanks and regards

Shweta@G 

Monday, January 05, 2015 5:43 AM
  • Dear Steve Fan,

Thanks for sharing the detailed information.As per your instruction,i have done changes for some users in the outlook 2013.

We will update the status to you soon.

Regards

Pradeep.R

Monday, January 05, 2015 12:20 PM
  • Hi Sweta,

Thanks for your update.We will do the changes accordingly.

Regards

Pradeep.R

Wednesday, January 07, 2015 4:07 PM
  • I appreciated both Steve and shewta's information.

I would like to add more information. This may help you

when you search the emails , it will search only current folder. " You can look under search Tab"

You have to select All Subfolders and then try search again.

Wednesday, January 07, 2015 4:43 PM
  • Hi Shweta,

Thanks a lot. "Limiting the number of emails" settings worked and I am able to get all the emails now. Was struggling since many months to search emails.

I see that search takes lot of time, do you think this is normal or some settings can be adjusted for this as well?

Regards

- Mani

Monday, July 25, 2016 6:49 AM