none
Unable to open Word (docx) attachments in MS Outlook 2010 since upgrading from 2007

Question

• Running MS vista Professional and MS Office 2010 professional.

Hi, as the title suggest, I can no longer open Word attachments received in Outlook 2010. I have noticed this since upgrading from MS Office 2007. My colleague who sits opposite me has the exact same computer and ran an identical upgrade but has no difficulties with this. His attachhments appear as the "W' symbol of word but mines is a little light blue symbol and when I hover on it it says "Docx". I have tried many google searches and searched within this forum, I have attempted some solutions but none have worked. I have tried ;

1) Open Word
    2) Select file and options
    3) Select Trus Center
    4) Select trust center settings
    5) Select protected view
    6) Deselect Proteced view options

I CAN open the attachments but its gobbledy gook style dingbats that open. If I rest my mouse on the attachments a preview of them appears but I can not physically open them.  Please help if there are any solutions you know of.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Try to set Word as Default Program.

Click the Vista start button. You should see a link in the start menu for "Default Programs". This will open the Default Programs window. Look for the "Associate a file type or protocol with a program." Click that link and you will see the Set Associations Control Panel applet. If you don't see this in your start menu, just type "Default Programs" in the Start Menu search box and it will show up in the menu above.

Once you're in the Set Associations applet, scroll through the list to find the ".doc", ".docx" and any other file types that you want to open in Word. Select each one in the left column, click the "Change" button, and then step through the "Open With" dialogs to select Word as the default program for these file types.

You should probably include all of these for Word:

..doc
    ..docx
    ..dochtml
    ..docm
    ..docxml
    ..dot
    ..dothtml
    ..dotm
    ..dotx
    ..rtf
    ..wbk
    ..wiz

Hope that helps.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:13 AM

All replies

• Has anyone any inklings, really need a solution for my work please!
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Hi,

Try to set Word as Default Program.

Click the Vista start button. You should see a link in the start menu for "Default Programs". This will open the Default Programs window. Look for the "Associate a file type or protocol with a program." Click that link and you will see the Set Associations Control Panel applet. If you don't see this in your start menu, just type "Default Programs" in the Start Menu search box and it will show up in the menu above.

Once you're in the Set Associations applet, scroll through the list to find the ".doc", ".docx" and any other file types that you want to open in Word. Select each one in the left column, click the "Change" button, and then step through the "Open With" dialogs to select Word as the default program for these file types.

You should probably include all of these for Word:

..doc
    ..docx
    ..dochtml
    ..docm
    ..docxml
    ..dot
    ..dothtml
    ..dotm
    ..dotx
    ..rtf
    ..wbk