none
word files unable to edit either online or word desktop app RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    Word files of SharePoint 2013 sites unable to edit either on-line or in word desktop app. We are having web app server to open files in on-line. So I have recycled app pools related to Word in Web app servers. then now able to edit in on-line but can't in word desktop app, showing as "can't locate the internet server or proxy server".  for some other word files showing as "Sorry, we can't open https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.docx  because the server is not responding."
    Is it takes some more time or am I missed anything. Please share your ideas..

Advanced thanks...

Saturday, October 19, 2019 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi, Jayanth,

I want to confirm some information with your about the issue.

1. When will the error message pops up? You mentioned "can't in word desktop app". I assume you use the action "open with desktop app" in the document menu. If that is not your scenario, please tell us a bit more about it. 

2. If the error message "can't locate the internet server or proxy server" pops when you click on a hyperlink in document, please check this.

3. Does this issue occur on all machines in your intranet? Can you download the file and open it with desktop app? If only certain machines have this issue, please try repairing your office installation and clear the Document Cache

4. Check for Windows event viewer and SharePoint ULS logs for clues.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, October 21, 2019 8:02 AM
  • Hi Jerry,
    Thank you. I have disabled a web app server and enabled another. Now only external users unable to edit docs in desktop app, getting as "Sorry, we can't open https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.docx  because the server is not responding."  They are able to edit online and file can be downloaded and editable (this needs again to upload to site)
    • Edited by Jayanth b Tuesday, October 29, 2019 5:34 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2019 5:33 AM