none
Bug with Windows patch kb4519976 affects Exchange's ability to create folders and search RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We currently run Exchange 2010 Sp3 Rollup 24 on Windows 2008 r2.  We recently deployed windows patches but not exchange patches to our exchange 2010 servers and right after about a day later we have users complained about that search no longer work in non-cached mode and user's could not create/delete/or change a folder in outlook. I checked the search indexing and it is working and the indexing seems to be working on the exchange end.

I then rebooted our exchange environment, I was initially able to search and create folders in outlook but next morning we start receiving complaints from users that we can no longer search and some users can't create/delete folders in outlook.

Fortunately, I deployed patches other exchange servers 2 weeks earlier and upon some troubleshooting we found out that it has the older kb4516065 patch and not the kb4519976 patch.  On the 2nd night I uninstalled the newer kb4519976 patch and installed the older kb4516065 patch and we have not received complaints ever since.

I wanted to call microsoft about this but my company is too cheap to pay the incident fee to do so.  I know that Windows 2008r2 and exchange 2010 is going out of support soon, but I wanted to let you know that there is a problem.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hi

I would upgrade to RU29 as there are a number of fixes in it. If there is a bug in windows and exchange 2010 and Microsoft identify it then you should be okay with logging the call.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:06 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi

I would upgrade to RU29 as there are a number of fixes in it. If there is a bug in windows and exchange 2010 and Microsoft identify it then you should be okay with logging the call.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:06 PM
    Owner
  • Hi pug_ster,

Thanks for reporting your issue and sharing the detailed information above. I agree with Edward. In your situation, problems will be resolved if you upgrade to RU29. There are a number of fixes in it.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If you need further help, please provide more detailed information, so that we can give more appropriate suggestions.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 1:31 AM