none
System restore has re-enabled itself from when a member of a previous domain RRS feed

• Question

• hello all,

One of my companies domain computers was  migrated from a legacy domain to a new one.

On the new domain system restore is DISABLED, on the previous legacy domain system restore was ENABLED.

A windows update has somehow kicked of system restore from when the computer was on the legacy domain and moved it back in time around 8 months!

Any ideas how this happened, and how I can remove any system restore historical information which must be hidden somewhere?

Cheers, Andy

Cheers, Andy andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 12:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you re-check the GPOs applied to the domain computers, run RSOP and gpresult /r , check Computer Configuration\Policy\Administrative Templates\System\System Restore, turn off system restore and its configuration.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:02 AM
  • Hello,

I''ve finally managed to get onto the machine, System restore is disabled via group policy (as expected).

Is there anything else which could have caused the System restore to kick in after a windows update??

Thanks, Andy

Cheers, Andy andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

Did this issue occure again recently? Since system restore is already shown as disabled, I wonder whether this issue happend again.

Regarding to the system restore happened last time, might be occurred with unexpected reason, have you checked the event viewer in both client and server and check if we can find any valuable information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 9, 2015 3:08 AM