none
Does suspended workflows will get terminated automatically after some days? RRS feed

• Question

• We have workflow instance on one item which showing terminated state but within details popup, it saying

"The instance has been moved from the Suspended state to the Terminated state because it has expired."

I just want to know, does suspended workflows will get terminated automatically after some days? If yes, then after how many days it will get terminated? Please help. thanks

Vishal M. Patil - MSDN Forum

• Edited by V.M.P Friday, January 5, 2018 6:49 AM
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 12:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Vishal,

I searched again online and found an article about SharePoint Online workflow, it says:

"Suspended workflow instances will be terminated after 10 days. The information balloon for the Internal Status will display the following message if the workflow is terminated:
    System.Activities.Statements.WorkflowTerminatedException: The instance has been moved from the Suspended state to the Terminated state because it has expired.

"

Currently, I have not found a similar article about SharePoint 2013 On-premise. As Workflow Service on SharePoint 2013 On-premise is similar with the Workflow Service on SharePoint Online, the article should also work for SharePoint 2013 On-premise. You can have a look at it.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by V.M.P Friday, January 5, 2018 9:22 AM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 7:32 AM

All replies

• Nope you need to run a powershell to terminate them. Please check below

http://fix-it.brokenwizard.net/?p=248

Thursday, January 4, 2018 12:42 PM
  • Hi Vishal,

Please check if Naveen's reply helps you. If yes, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If the reply doesn't help you, please feel free to reply.

Thanks,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 5, 2018 2:58 AM
  • Thanks for reply, But as per error message it looks like workflow was got suspended and after some days it moved to terminated state  automatically. isn't it? I have updated the question please check.

Friday, January 5, 2018 6:51 AM
  • Hi Vishal,

I searched again online and found an article about SharePoint Online workflow, it says:

"Suspended workflow instances will be terminated after 10 days. The information balloon for the Internal Status will display the following message if the workflow is terminated:
    System.Activities.Statements.WorkflowTerminatedException: The instance has been moved from the Suspended state to the Terminated state because it has expired.

"

Currently, I have not found a similar article about SharePoint 2013 On-premise. As Workflow Service on SharePoint 2013 On-premise is similar with the Workflow Service on SharePoint Online, the article should also work for SharePoint 2013 On-premise. You can have a look at it.

Thanks,

Wendy

• Marked as answer by V.M.P Friday, January 5, 2018 9:22 AM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 7:32 AM
  • Thanks wendy. That's what i want. In Article they mentioned workflow platform type as Sharepoint 2013, so I also think that duration will be same for sharepoint 2013 as well. Thanks again.

• Edited by V.M.P Friday, January 5, 2018 9:22 AM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 9:22 AM