none
How do you disable manual "What's happening today" changes?

Question

• We have just deployed Lync and for the most part it's fantastic. Due to the way we we operate the "What's happening today?" field was perfect for describing the job number people were working on, however it's starting to be abused and a decision has been made to abandon this functionality and leave it for automatic updates only (out of office, meetings etc).

How can I achieve this before complains are made about some of the obscene language that's being used there?

• Edited by jraward Tuesday, August 09, 2011 9:35 AM changed which section I was talking about
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 9:26 AM

Answers

• Hi, jraward,

For this requirement, you need to build your own client.

Use the MyNoteBox control in Microsoft Lync Control applications to display and change the current user’s personal note. The user can change their personal note by typing in new text and pressing the Enter key.

There’s another post for reference.

Above all, hope helps.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:09 AM

All replies

• Hi, jraward,

For this requirement, you need to build your own client.

Use the MyNoteBox control in Microsoft Lync Control applications to display and change the current user’s personal note. The user can change their personal note by typing in new text and pressing the Enter key.

There’s another post for reference.

Above all, hope helps.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:09 AM
  •  

Just an observation, it's a shame to turn off a feature due to this kind of abuse. Would you turn off email because someone was abusive on it?

As Noya says, this is an intergral part of the client and can't really be switched off.

Tom

Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe for updates: Email or RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:55 AM
  • In that case my only option is to deny this user access to the client altogether. Phrases like 'rocking out with my **** out' are unacceptable in the company as a whole on broadcast, but are expected in the factory environment (where he is located). Why is it then that you can deny images being displayed?
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:53 AM
  • So there're no registry edits I can deploy or anything? It's come up to Director level due to the immaturity of some members and I find it suprising that it's not something that can be administered.

I also don't see how it's an integral part of the service; as far as I can see it's like a facebook status - largely irrellevant, open to abuse, not terribly useful. If it had some bearing on any service that Lync provided or some kind of automation - aside from saying what you're eating for lunch - then I might understand.

The user in question has since has his Lync account revoked, seems ridiculous that it has to come to this when you can admin every individual component of the OS.

Monday, August 15, 2011 4:45 PM